DIVE DOJO Puerto Gallera- info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it far or difficult to get from La laguna beach to Sabang? Does lalaguna still get really busy? I would like to do the DM in a pretty busy shop with a lot of diver traffic to learn about a busy centre and help lots of customers.? Tortuga. do you have experience with more DC in Lalaguna? I'm definetely going to check and email LLB Club!!!

It's a 15 minute walk or 5 minute banca ride from Big LaLaguna to Sabang, less from Small LLG. Sabang is closer to most of the dive sites, as most of them are in or east of Sabang bay - although it's not a huge difference.

Personally I like being able to wake up in the morning and be on the Sabang Wrecks (the closest dive site) 20 minutes later. Big LLG is fairly quiet, all the nightlife is in Sabang, although if you're on the beach there (where Capt'n Gregg's, Big Apple etc are) you're pretty much away from it anyway (well not far but far enough for it no to bother you)

IMHO more customers doesn't make for a better DM experience, rather the opposite. I'm not that familiar with any other ops than the ones I've already mentioned, although there are plenty to choose from (about 30 altogether) - but as you'll read/have read here on SB, the biggest factor is your instructor.

Generally the divide is down to personal taste; if you want to go out in the evening, it's much more convenient to stay in Sabang. If you want to stay away from that, Big LaLaguna

If you stay on the left or right side of sabang it will be relative quit as well. I was pretty happy by being close to my room so you can easily go home between dives to pick up some stuff, bring some groceries w/e.

If you are used to london pretty much everything will be quite in sabang :D

Big lalaguna is definitely a nicer scenery though and if you like the quite place and dont mind walking a bit it's a good choice.. The beach there is much better than the the one they call beach in fron of sabang

If you dive with capt greggs (nice guys, good store, also into tech) I suggest ordering just the salad bar of their bbq-menu. I think I ate like five times nothing but there fried rice with salad and potato salad. Awesome and cheap

sonar & evie g---- is it possible for you guys to PM me Ethei's email? I keep reading posts here on SB and so many people speak really highly about him. I also read that he is now with Cptn Greggs, or working freelance???

He's freelancing and sometimes working out of Captain Gregs. He is an excellent intructor and I highly recommend him if he is available. He can really teach you alot if you are willing to go above and beyond the course minimal requirements... Especially if you want to learn Tech diving...

sonar & evie g---- is it possible for you guys to PM me Ethei's email? I keep reading posts here on SB and so many people speak really highly about him. I also read that he is now with Cptn Greggs, or working freelance???

check your PM

Ethei has so many returning customers that he makes a better living freelancing than working for a boss. Dont know how it works with regards to the store you have to work from. For your DM you will need a store for OW students (part of the training), fundivers (guiding), pumping tanks (not all day but you need the basics) and chilling (if you stay there so long its necessary to have a hang out; especially if you stay at lalaguna..

Gonna dive in the Netherlands in a few weeks out of misery. F**K my life; I wanna go backkkk

Got it- thanks a lot!!!

codman & sonar- you guys convinced me completely!!! let's see what he says...hope, hope, hope
reading the books- starting with physics and chemistry bleh...and just can't wait to go now!!!!

respect for diving netherlands...freeeeeeeeezing!! think...crystal blue 28C water, sandy beach, sun, lots of fish, amazing colours, cold beer, only 16 hour flight and you are in PG.. oh go on, book the flight:))) maybe see you there

respect for diving netherlands...freeeeeeeeezing!! think...crystal blue 28C water, sandy beach, sun, lots of fish, amazing colours, cold beer, only 16 hour flight and you are in PG.. oh go on, book the flight:))) maybe see you there

I hate you!!!!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::D If you take on with Ethei, I'm going to call him up and make sure he gives you a hard time through your course.... I'll get him to take you jogging....:D:D:cool2: Nahhh... If you can fit it in with Ethei, you are in good hands...

Just food for thought... If you do take it up with Ethei... If it was up to me, I would drop all those specialty classes you want to take (except Nitrox) and use the cash to take a TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression procedures course (the first level into Tech diving). That's what I did. You will learn sooooo much you won,t believe it... And you'll have one of the Best Tech divers of the area there to teach you.... Priceless if you really want to learn a maximum about diving and in my oppinion much more usefull than a bunch of PADI specialty courses...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

I hate you!!!!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::D If you take on with Ethei, I'm going to call him up and make sure he gives you a hard time through your course.... I'll get him to take you jogging....:D:D:cool2: Nahhh... If you can fit it in with Ethei, you are in good hands...

Hash run & Gin juice! :D

Hash run & Gin juice! :D

Yup, I was a regular while I was there... Almost got lots in the Sabang countryside a few times... :D Great memories...

:D don't mind jogging so bring it on....but not after hash or gin-----whatever it may mean?????? :wink:

Just food for thought... If you do take it up with Ethei... If it was up to me, I would drop all those specialty classes you want to take (except Nitrox) and use the cash to take a TDI Advanced Nitrox and Decompression procedures course (the first level into Tech diving). That's what I did. You will learn sooooo much you won,t believe it... And you'll have one of the Best Tech divers of the area there to teach you.... Priceless if you really want to learn a maximum about diving and in my oppinion much more usefull than a bunch of PADI specialty courses...

Just my 0.02$:coffee:

regarding the above- good advice I guess. But what if I don't really intend to go into tech diving in next few years (unlike my boyfriend, he is just sitting opposite me, searching frantically for a new wing, and ways to sell his existing BC)
But what would you say, a possible DC manager would be more impressed with if wanting to hire a new DM or later on newly qualified instructor? Somebody who did tech courses or these Padi specialties. Or rather what would be more desirable in recreational diving industry. Maybe a silly question but I just don't know that much about tech diving... I know that they push you one step further every time, and that they teach you to deal with super extreme situations; and of course this makes you so much more confident and this should be a sole reason for me to do it; but I would need to know if this would make me more employable that, let's say wreck, drift, deep and navigation courses...... I really want to work as a DM for a while before doing IDC so would have to make the right decision.......all opinions welcome:)

Back
Top Bottom