DIVE DOJO Puerto Gallera- info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bah, it,s not that hard. But you do need to 1- be very comfortable in the water (Tech diving is no place for getting nervous, panicking, having buoyancy issues, etc... 2- be very methodical (tech diving is all about planning and sticking to the plan).

As far as working goes, good for you if you want to make a career out of it. Where there is a will, there is a way... You can do this (proofm ther erae expats working there regularly). One piece of advice then; stick to places where there is a well developped dive clientele (like PG). There are more chances the dive operators will need a hand at some time.

Also, another piece of advice (man am I preachy??:D). Make sure your dive center (wherever you choose to do it) will include an internship to the course (not just the 2 week minimum). You NEED to get hands on experience dealing with customers and divers of all levels. Believe me, guiding/ supervising divers is totally different from regular diving and you need to rack-up as much experience doing this as possible. And in the case you can't find work right away, this will be the only way to get decent experience.

Good luck with your endevours!:coffee:

reading about tech diving- super interesting.......doing it myself....not so sure.. plus I still have so much to learn and achieve in recreational that it is a very distant future (money-wise and all) for me.

ah Ok; sounds good

Thought you both wanted to leave UK and become instructors out of the blue. Would be sweet.. Thought about it as well but realized soon it wasnt realistic. If you are financially not fully depending on diving than it will eaze the process. maybe start as a DM, freelance a bit and grow into it once you know the people and they know what you can do.

So true what Codman says about internship. Guiding (new) divers sounds easy but is very stressful. They always swim away, have different skill levels, stress or overcomfort, buoancy problems, dont follow you and so on. i really liked it, just like doing skills with OW students. Doing an extended internship will defenitely be a key to finding a job

Cool- thanks a lot for all your comments guys!. We definetely be doing the DM somewhere in PG..haven't decided with whom thou.. we're not that pressured with time so we will try to stay with a DC as long as possible for the internship to get experience... I will write a report so maybe we can praise DOJO together :) if we decide to go with them.

Hope you will get in the water soon :scubadive:

Ei, all my PG dives are w/ DD. Love the place & the people there. Will be back down there again in May. :D

Choose whoever you feel best with!:coffee: it,s a long and important course, so make sure you feel good about who you will do it with!

Also, maybe a tip. Why not take another course with them (I did rescue) before engaging into the DM course? That way you will get a vibe of how you get along with your instructor, and if it's not great, you can simply move on to elsewhere before having engaged in the program with them. You could start with the Nitrox course (very usefull for the DM course by the way)... Or any other...

Just a good way of testing the grounds.:coffee:

I will write a report so maybe we can praise DOJO together :) if we decide to go with them.

QUOTE]

You NEED to get hands on experience dealing with customers and divers of all levels. Believe me, guiding/ supervising divers is totally different from regular diving and you need to rack-up as much experience doing this as possible.

Ei Simon! I didnt give u a hard time did I? hehe :wink:
Was joking w/ Ethei if i should have a fainting spell or ....what, during our dives. :D

Evei, when we dove together I hadn't even started my internship... had you fainted, you would have sank down... down... down and I wouldn't have budged!!! :cool2: :D:D Nah.... Bud seriously, I got a few challenging divers while I was there... One autralian bloke decided he was guiding the dive... :dork2::dork2: Was going 50 mph through the dive and then upon surfacing commented to how there wasn't much to see on the Alma Jane... :dork2:

You NEED to get hands on experience dealing with customers and divers of all levels. Believe me, guiding/ supervising divers is totally different from regular diving and you need to rack-up as much experience doing this as possible.

Ei Simon! I didnt give u a hard time did I? hehe :wink:
Was joking w/ Ethei if i should have a fainting spell or ....what, during our dives. :D

hehe

I did the same as codman; came for my rescue with DM in my mind. Also to see if I liked Sabang.. If it turns out you dont like the people too much you just switch to plan B

My plan B was to go to Coron for my DM; been there only four days and that turned out to be enough for me

Codman; we should charge Dojo for free dives or something. We re like campaigning for them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom