Dive computer recommendation

Which shearwood will be our second dive computer

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, Divers

My husband and I are going to Cozumel at the end of this month, and we want to get our advanced OW certifications while we are there.
As we take diving into the next step, it is probably the time for us to get two dive computers. After few days research, i have finally picked 3 candidates : Descent MK1, Shearwater Teric or Shearwater Perdix Research Ai. We are pretty sure we will get a MK1 because i will use it for other sports and my husband can use it as a dive computer when we dive together ( plus I don’t think he wants to go on the pro level, it is unnecessary for us to get two shearwater). The second one i am leaning toward to Perdix Research AI, and here are my reasons:
1. Perdix with an AI transmitter will cost about 1200 USD, and Teric itself costs about 1000 USD. One AI transmitter costs about 300 USD, so Perdix sounds a better deal.
2. Batteries can be changed at any time. (I know Teric is rechargeable, but some divers on YouTube think that you may need to replace a new battery after a 500 charge cycle. Please Let me know if they are wrong)
3. Perdix has a larger screen and the housing is pretty durable, i heard (from the same youtubers) Teric is easily to be scratched.
I know these three are amazing computers and it cannot go wrong with either one, however, I still want to hear from you guys who have those computers before we make our decision.

MANY THANKS!!!!!!

Hi Natedive: I've heard great things about the Teric but don't own one. I have the Perdix AI now after traded my Perdix in when the AI version came out. I have a screen protector on my Perdix. I don't know if it scratches easy but mine has been solid after over 100 dives in the past year and half. If I had to buy one, I would get a Perdix AI again. My friends are telling me to get the Teric too. I might but need to find out about battery longevity. 500 Charge cycles are typical of lithium batteries. Perhaps someone should let us know how much Shearwater charges for battery replacement.

I think you answered your own question :D
I have the Perdix AI and love it!

I own 2 Perdix.
Bomb proof, easy to read, easy to set up and understand. Excellent customer service.
I teach recreational scuba but also, for fun, do technical diving in sidemount.
I often use my Perdix in recreational mode and have loaned them to students.
Everybody loves the clear, easy to read screen and the logical menu system.
Now, I have seen the Teric and had an opportunity to test it.
One word describes it. COOL. So cool, if the funds (and my wife) allowed I would buy one just to wear everyday.
The software by the way is almost the same on both models.
Go for either the Perdix or the Teric, you cannot go wrong with a Shearwater computer.
My original Perdix has now done over 1k dives.

I think you answered your own question :D
I have the Perdix AI and love it!
but the Teric is newer though, and has a brighter screen which and less bulky.
they both support 2 AI at the same time, it is a huge plus for us because we more likely dive together.

I own 2 Perdix.
Bomb proof, easy to read, easy to set up and understand. Excellent customer service.
I teach recreational scuba but also, for fun, do technical diving in sidemount.
I often use my Perdix in recreational mode and have loaned them to students.
Everybody loves the clear, easy to read screen and the logical menu system.
Now, I have seen the Teric and had an opportunity to test it.
One word describes it. COOL. So cool, if the funds (and my wife) allowed I would buy one just to wear everyday.
The software by the way is almost the same on both models.
Go for either the Perdix or the Teric, you cannot go wrong with a Shearwater computer.
My original Perdix has now done over 1k dives.
I might stop by a local dive shop, and try both of them.
i do like the size of Teric, it looks cool as you said, and has great screen ( brighter).

First of all, go Shearwater. I am seldom a fanboy of brands but they are in the right place at the right time in this industry in the year 2019.

Second, go for AI, the benefit of having real time SAC, GTR, and the pressure reading on your wrist is well worth the money. The connection is so reliable that you can ditch your SPG for rec diving. The additional layer of data in your logbook is also nice to review and work with.

As for Teric vs Perdix, it is mostly a question of form factor and battery style. I own a Perdix because I wear mechanical watches in the real world and a dive computer only when I am diving. If you would wear a big digital hunk in your daily life also, or are concerned about wearing the computer on your wrist all day on long dive days, go Teric. Whilst the Perdix is fine to wear around boat docks and during double tank dives etc., I would surely prefer to keep a watch size computer on my wrist on multi-day liveaboards, provided it can be charged when it needs to. Brings me to the other point, I also own a Perdix because it gives me months and months of use out of a simple Lithium AA battery that I can swap in 1 minute, and I do not want to worry about charging a quickly drained device between dives, so if you want battery convenience, go Perdix. The Perdix is definitely sturdy as hell, the Teric a bit more fragile, but then again less likely to bump into things.

First of all, go Shearwater. I am seldom a fanboy of brands but they are in the right place at the right time in this industry in the year 2019.

Second, go for AI, the benefit of having real time SAC, GTR, and the pressure reading on your wrist is well worth the money. The connection is so reliable that you can ditch your SPG for rec diving. The additional layer of data in your logbook is also nice to review and work with.

As for Teric vs Perdix, it is mostly a question of form factor and battery style. I own a Perdix because I wear mechanical watches in the real world and a dive computer only when I am diving. If you would wear a big digital hunk in your daily life also, or are concerned about wearing the computer on your wrist all day on long dive days, go Teric. Whilst the Perdix is fine to wear around boat docks and during double tank dives etc., I would surely prefer to keep a watch size computer on my wrist on multi-day liveaboards, provided it can be charged when it needs to. Brings me to the other point, I also own a Perdix because it gives me months and months of use out of a simple Lithium AA battery that I can swap in 1 minute, and I do not want to worry about charging a quickly drained device between dives, so if you want battery convenience, go Perdix. The Perdix is definitely sturdy as hell, the Teric a bit more fragile, but then again less likely to bump into things.
Have you tried the MK1 by any chance? it is so appealing to me that i can use it as an everyday watch. lol

Both are great choices. Can't go wrong either way.
For a more warm water diver I would lean toward the Teric
But if there is some cold water I think the straps of the Perdix are better suited if going over a wetsuit or drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom