Dive Computer Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Choose your decompression algorithm carefully, many threads discussing this topic on SB. Personally, chose to dive Pelagic DSAT on Oceanic computers.

Good luck, Craig

I think many of the Liquivision products are over priced. $500 for a simple BT? $800 for a three gas nitrox computer? OLED is great but not that great IMO. If tec is in your future there are several cheaper nitrox computers that have gauge mode on the market today.

I have to disagree--OLED is that great. I can use my Liquivision X1 to follow a cave line in complete darkness!

I own the Zoop, purchased 5 months ago. Put 60 dives on it, and now I want to sell it. I will say it has been reliable. But if you are only going to do occasional recreational diving then it is fine, but now I am ready to expand and the Zoop is not sufficient. Keep in mind that Zoop is very VERY conservative, and you can not really do anything about that. I would say it is pretty much only good as a rental. For recreation you can get something cheaper. Also, I have been having trouble with the dive manager software. One more thing, it claims to use a RGBM but then why does it not have me do midpoint stops on deep dives (> 100ft). Is that not an attribute of the latest RGBM??

How about the Mares Puck? You can get one for $175, and it includes a thermometer. Does anyone have experience with those?

I think a computer makes a lot of sense to buy early when you're getting your own equipment. I'm a vacation diver. Computers cost $10/day to rent and are easy to travel with, so pay for themselves quickly (although not as quick as a flashlight- you'll be even in about 5 dives by buying one of those). It's also a nice safety factor due to my rustiness when I get in the water.

I do do some diving at altitude though...not sure what would be best for that.

I have to disagree--OLED is that great. I can use my Liquivision X1 to follow a cave line in complete darkness!

OLED used to be that great (relative to other options). LCD has come a long way: I prefer my Petrel's LCD over the OLEDs in my Cobalt or Predator.

I own the Zoop, purchased 5 months ago. Put 60 dives on it, and now I want to sell it. I will say it has been reliable. But if you are only going to do occasional recreational diving then it is fine, but now I am ready to expand and the Zoop is not sufficient. Keep in mind that Zoop is very VERY conservative, and you can not really do anything about that. I would say it is pretty much only good as a rental. For recreation you can get something cheaper. Also, I have been having trouble with the dive manager software. One more thing, it claims to use a RGBM but then why does it not have me do midpoint stops on deep dives (> 100ft). Is that not an attribute of the latest RGBM??
I'm not familiar with the Zoop but trained with RGBM in my NAUI Tech classes. It's not up to the computer to tell you when to do your stops. Your dive plan that's written on your slate or in your wetnotes does that.

My opinion is just that so bear this in mind. I matched the divers I am diving with so I could match their deco stops when I get to that level of skill. I didn't want different stop depths and times because of a non standard algorithm. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you are far sighted. Then a console makes a lot of sense. Love my Oceanic Datamax 2.1

Great thread folks. My Suunto Mosquito may or may not be on its way out so I'm shopping for a replacement. The Zoop actually looks like a good replacement for me and I'm glad to see some positive reviews.

Getting back to the Mosquito, the battery access door seems bound up so I can't replace the battery. It's a shame too because it was a great little computer.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom