Dive Computer Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurfnPics

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm just getting back into diving on a regular basis and looking to set myself up with new gear. The main one that has me a bit stumped is on the dive computer. Brand, features, what do I really need etc. Plus should I go integrated into a console or wrist type? I like the idea of wrist type for travel diving when its not practical to take my own gear. I also want one that has iMac compatible software for transferring and continuing my dive log history. Maybe one that has an iPhone app?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Wayne

Wayne. Tricky question :)

Anyway, you should look at macdive and divelog (Iphone sync with Macdive) and check what they accept. This will reduce the number of computer but they accept quite a lot.

Personnaly, I hat console, so I can only encourage you to a wrist computer. Since I have started, i use Suunto (first was the D6 then now i have added a D9Tx). They are the computer that you always have with you because they are watches. The bad thing, is that the visibility is not so good in a dark environment.

To make my choice, I have looked at what was available around me and imagined my diving in the next 3 years. The Nitrox was definitly not an option but multi gas like 4 or 5 was not really needed. Computer transfer was also a point then the look of the D6 convinced me.

I have recently bought a D9Tx following my Trimix course. I would say, it is a great computer too :) but I still like to dive with wrist slate for this kind of dive. I am new in this world.

Yvan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Zuunto zoop is a great recreational DC, its also cheap and covers Nitrox. Any technical form of diving and I am a supporter of Shearwater. They are awesome tec DC and not cheap.

I'll give another vote for the Zoop. Mine has 200 or so dives on it and is going strong. It's pretty intuitive and will work well for most regular diving. If you're going to be doing any sort of diving in the future where you will need a computer capable of being put into gauge mode, I would suggest the Hollis DG03.

Kristopher

Thanks Yvan, I have been considering the D9TX, but thought it may be a little hard to read? I have also been thinking about the Oceanic VT4, but will now check out the Zuunto Zoop as per the other posts. But I am pretty sure now I will go with the wrist version

My Suunto Gekko has been with me for the last ~450 dives ... on one battery! This weekend the battery indicator went down one 'notch' for the first time ever - 3 'noches' left apparently!
I love it because it was very cheap, it's been totally reliable and just does what I want (so far).

Anyway, here's the deal:

pros: battery life is huge, you can change the battery yourself, nitrox, deco, very simple interface, very standard size (easy to console mount it, or wrist mount it), pretty much un-destructable, cheap.

cons: only 1 gas mix per dive, no computer link (to mac or pc etc...), no backlight (it illuminates for a minute or so after you shine your torch on it).

I think the newer versions (Zoop?) address some of those 'cons' and if you go for the next models up (Vyper etc...) then all of those cons will be addressed I'm sure, but it'll become more pricey.

I use a Hollis DG03 for all my dives. Dive mode for rec dives and gauge mode for tec dives. Right now I think they are going for $250. It has a backlight, nitrox, three gas and you can add a transmitter if you wish.

The D9tx is easy to read, don't get me wrong. But not as a Shearwater or OSTC in dark environment :) and these two are probably better for real tec dives....... Anyway it is a great computer.

Y.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Many start with a console because it's easier and a bit less hassle, and move on to wrist mount with experience, because it frees up your hands and is easier to view while diving. So you might as well skip a step and start with a wrist mount unit, combined with the Suunto Sk7 compass on the other wrist.

My criteria would be: easy readability especially at night, easy to work the menus (skip the one button computers), bungee compatible, adjustable algorithm, and air integration. I'm not fond digital compass, but it's a slight plus as a backup compass.

Of course a lot depends on your budget. If you can wait, Liquivision is coming out "soon" with their Lynx, which satisfies all the criteria above.

I think many of the Liquivision products are over priced. $500 for a simple BT? $800 for a three gas nitrox computer? OLED is great but not that great IMO. If tec is in your future there are several cheaper nitrox computers that have gauge mode on the market today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom