Dive Computer...Oh, help...!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Sparty

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. I've been diving for several years and am preparing to start my advanced diver class. I intend to proceed on thru rescue diver and eventually earn my dive master certification. I'm stoked but poor. I'm an "academic"...a poor professor in other words so money is always a consideration.

My old computer, a relatively inexpensive hose mounted style, is leaking water. In fact, there is water floating in the chamber right now as I look at it. Besides, I need to upgrade anyway.

I've looked high and low and have become overwhelmed at the variety, not to mention cost, of some of the computers.

Do I want a wrist mounted, air integrated....? What? I do dive nitrox.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Dont know how much You want to spend, I have a cressi archimede, for me its great, can dive up to 2 mix, user can change battery, Ive had it for 2 years, no problems at all. On the down side it uses bateries fast. ADN its cheap compared to other computers

Oceanic has some good price ranges and I like that they are not as conservative as Suunto. I use the Pro Plus 2, AI. If you're used to a computer in a console, why change? The AI feature is nice.

This is the model and price I purchased, but when we purchased we also got the compass.

Oceanic Pro Plus 2 Standard @ Divers-Supply.com

You can buy a Mares Puck for about $200 I think. It's practically bullet-proof (we use these and the Suunto Zoop as rentals around here). It does Nitrox. Not elegant looking or anything, but it works well. The standard model is wrist-mounted, but if you want it on a console, you just get the proper boot for it and you're good to go. (I prefer wrist mounted-personally.)

I've use an Oceanic VEO100Nx for the past 2 years going into the 3rd and may be using the Nitrox functions soon, no complaints no problems. Think it was under under $200.00 usd. I'm not a professor but I hear ya on the poor part.

Last edited:
We love our Aeris Atmos AI computers... you can sometimes find them around $550-600. Air integrated console computers.

Computers are one of those things where it's all personal preference. Any of them will work. For me it's more about being wrist mounted with an easy to change battery and a big display.

Personally I detest the PUCK and any computer with a single button that requires advance morse code to access the history.

Suunto- the Gecko if you can find it, if not get the Zoop.

Cheap, reliable, user-replaceable batteries, Nitrox, common algorithm, large view screen... Good choice.

Personally I prefer the Suuntos--my rentals are Gekkos, but they're not available here any longer, though maybe through eBay a US-based diver might find some old stock. The Zoop is about 50% more expensive than the Puck. I guess it just depends on how much the freedom from Morse Code is worth!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom