Dive Computer No Deco Computations Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm someone who deals in trade-off and not absolute. The lock out seems a sensible option depending on the circumstances. And the more you insist on simple options because we are in Basic Scuba, the more sensible it looks along with the user guide instructions of going to 5 meters and empty your tank.

As somebody whose dives almost always include deco, I'm not sure I agree with that.

For example, let's say that you're at 20m/70' on a 5 minute stop and you end up slightly above that stop for whatever reason for 3 minutes and the computer goes into violation mode.

I should now go straight to 5m and not attempt any stops in between? That seems like it is only going to compound any potential problem.

I voted with my wallet.

I sent the DX back and won't ever dive Suunto. I dive Shearwater because I like the fact that it will never lock me out and I consider it a superior product for decompression diving.

Suunto might be an okay computer for recreational diving (although I personally still wouldn't use it), but I can't remember that last time I saw anybody who does any level of decompression diving using one.

Regards,

- brett

@dmaziuk for that incident, it may still have been the right call to skip the IWR because he was alert and seemed to be doing well during his chamber treatment. the problem was something happened later and he got into medical trouble but the medical professional had left with only an unqualified trainee who wasn't experienced enough to deal with the emergency still watching him.

@dmaziuk for that incident, it may still have been the right call to skip the IWR because he was alert and seemed to be doing well during his chamber treatment. the problem was something happened later and he got into medical trouble but the medical professional had left with only an unqualified trainee who wasn't experienced enough to deal with the emergency still watching him.

I think a) if you have an hour of deco, you probably have significant gas loading in the slower compartments that may be expected to take longer to bubble out and cause symptoms, and b) losing feeling in the legs on the way to the chamber wouldn't be my definition of "doing well".

But my point was, "better bent than drowned" is an excellent rule as long as you are, in fact, drowning. Scenarios posited in this thread are more like "I overshot my ceiling for more than 3 minutes"-- that argument does not apply.

Back
Top Bottom