Dive computer "Err" after airline flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I have a Mares Genius Dive Computer that has always worked great for hundreds of dives. I went on a trip and put it in my checked on luggage. After I arrive I took it out and it had "Err" in the max depth location at the lower right of the display. I did not use the computer for 2 weeks before the trip so it is not likely to be any type of lockout or other normal safe guard. I tried clearing the error by holding down the contacts for > 1 minute - no luck. I then took it on a dive (with a spare I had since this one was broken) with the hopes it might clear the error. No luck either.

Does anyone have any guesses what happened? Could the new X-Ray machines for checked in luggage be strong enough to wipe out some of the software inside? Or could it have came into a very low pressure area that caused a part of the altitude compensation fail?

By the way Mares used the same chip as the Uwatec Aladin back then so if you know about the Uwatec Aladin the same answer could hold true here.

Thanks, Craig
This is why you NEVER check your dive computer...

There's reasons not to check a dive computer, but pressure isn't one of them. Pressure in the cargo hold of an commercial airplane is essentially the same as the cabin - the tube of the aircraft is the structure holding pressure, not the flat floor in between. And in a small unpressurized airplane, obviously it's the same too.

And xrays do not affect electronics like dive computers.

So I should NOT take my computer next time I go up on the shuttle??

sad.gif
I am in Bonaire. I carried my Oceanic VT 4 on the plane and put it in the overhead. I'm guessing my carry-on bag got bumped during the flight and it came on. The next next day after arriving I turned it on and got an "Altitude Error". The dive shop took out the battery for about an hour and it reset. The "Altitude Error" returned again today. I am sitting here wondering how long to leave the battery out so it might reset. Any suggestions?
That sucks. It should have cleared. You may have to rent one, then return yours to Oceanic later. If out of warranty, they still have a service program.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom