Dive computer "Err" after airline flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe the entire aircraft is pressurized to 8000ft. Fwd hold is heated more to keep animals alive or temperature sensitive goods. mid and aft hold is heated too but not to the comfortable extent. It is definitely not -40C where your luggage are. Here's an experiment, get a plastic bottle and fill it up full with water. Cap it tight and leave it in the luggage. If your bottle is broken in the end, then the hold is below freezing then.

edwinh:
I believe the entire aircraft is pressurized to 8000ft. Fwd hold is heated more to keep animals alive or temperature sensitive goods. mid and aft hold is heated too but not to the comfortable extent. It is definitely not -40C where your luggage are. Here's an experiment, get a plastic bottle and fill it up full with water. Cap it tight and leave it in the luggage. If your bottle is broken in the end, then the hold is below freezing then.

going into a hold on your hands and knees when the plane has just landed, its is coooold.

cklud:
Hi,

Or could it have came into a very low pressure area that caused a part of the altitude compensation fail?

Thanks, Craig

Pressure in the cargo compartment is exactly the same as that in the passenger compartment. No exceptions, except for the Space Shuttle with the bay doors open. :wink:

cdiver2:
Yes All live stock and if memory serves me right human remains must go in forward hold. Things may have changed (but I dont think so) its been about ten years since I last worked on the ramp.

Cdiver,

It depends on the aircraft.

Rob

edwinh:
I believe the entire aircraft is pressurized to 8000ft.

The 8000 ft msl limit is an outside value. Most modern jet aircraft hold a lower cabin altitude than that. Likewise, airflow to the hold areas is better. It will be cooler, but nowhere near freezing.

Rob

Craig, how did you pack the computer?

Since you referred to the Uwatecs, they are always on and periodically check ambient pressure so they can take it into consideration for desat times as well as dives.

If you pack the in a sealed case (like a Pelican) for a flight they tend to throw a fit. So much so that it's in the manual somewhere.

BigJetDriver69:
Cdiver,

It depends on the aircraft.

Rob

As I said its been about ten years since I kicked your tire's and washed the windows for you guys, but I still see you guys running around under the aircraft...looking for the spare hide a key. :wink:

Charlie99:
The previous post and my reply were about pressurization. Are you saying that the aft and main holds are NOT pressurized?

All of the baggage compartments on virtually all commercial jets are heated and pressurized.

My Aladin Air-X got the dreaded "Err" message when I started it to download the dives onto my PC after flying back from the Maldives. I returned it to Uwatec who could not repair it, but they gave me a discount on a new Air-Z.

I hope you have better luck.

cdiver2:
As I said its been about ten years since I kicked your tire's and washed the windows for you guys, but I still see you guys running around under the aircraft...looking for the spare hide a key. :wink:

No, counting the engines and trying to remember how many this particular aircraft is supposed to have, so we can tell if one is missing or not!!!! :11:

Rob :cwmddd:

Back
Top Bottom