Dive computer "Err" after airline flight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks,

I say again:

Pressure in the cargo compartment is exactly the same as that in the passenger compartment. No exceptions, except for the Space Shuttle with the bay doors open. (Period. Full stop.)

Trust me on this one, folks. :anakinpod

Rob

Padipro:
Sounds like it may have . . .

Scott

Would it be safer to remove the batteries before packing the computer in the lugage? That way it couldn't be getting "confused" at the pressure changes and should be blissfuly unaware of the whole process when you arrive at your destination. ????? :11:

Hello, I realize this post is old but I have Mares Genius that has experience similar problem with a twist.....

I has never been on a plane......in fact the error occurred while I was doing a gear check at home before a dive weekend...in my basement.....

Has any one else exerienced this automatic resetting phenomon? Or should i go shopping?

e.mueller:
Hello, I realize this post is old but I have Mares Genius that has experience similar problem with a twist.....

I has never been on a plane......in fact the error occurred while I was doing a gear check at home before a dive weekend...in my basement.....

Has any one else exerienced this automatic resetting phenomon? Or should i go shopping?
Welcome to SB.com

I've had the problem that Larry suggested - accidentally turning the computer one in flight, landing, and the PDC goes into a 4 ft dive for hours. It's always cycled off overnight tho.

And I think that a third world country X-ray machine screening carryon bags corrupted some data to the point that I could no longer download to my PC.

I do not know Mares c PDCs. Sounds like you need to call the manufacturer - or just pull the battery and reinstall.

BTW, click this link to post an Introduction if you'd like so we can welcome you appropriately. :thumb:

I have a Cochran and they specifically tell you to keep it with you as it will account for you flight while diving as well as your return flight after diving. You can even download those profiles.

e.mueller:

I've seen it in one case where a Pelagic/Oceanic hockey puck style dive computer was left cooking in the hot sun. Sudden cooling by dunking into a bucket of water started a dive at 5' or so, which continued even after being taken back out of the water. It was an old computer that after thousands of dives and many battery changes had a mangled up battery compartment slot, so she just let it run for 24 hours until it timed out and reset. No permanent problem.

Reading this post I wonder: Would it be better to remove the battery on user replacable computers while in flight to prevent the computer from 'freaking out' in mid air?

I haven't flown with mine yet, but hopefully will go on my first dive vacation this year and that would mean flying with the computer.

Thanks in advance.

Bjorn

jeckyll:
Reading this post I wonder: Would it be better to remove the battery on user replacable computers while in flight to prevent the computer from 'freaking out' in mid air?
..Bjorn
Don't bother removing it.

Some computers, such as Cochran, are designed to periodically sample pressure and keep track of altitude. Others, such as Oceanic only sample pressure when first turned on and for a couple hours after completing a dive. In either case, the flight won't bother them.

The only way you get strange results is by activating one of the non-altitude-sampling computers while at altitude. Even then, all that happens is that it can get an erroneous zero depth reference ---- it assumes the 6-8,000' cabin altitude is 0' depth and when you return to sea level it thinks your are diving a few feet down. In that case, just pull the battery and reset everything.

But pulling the battery before every flight just means that you are taking more chances on getting a bad seal when putting it back together and thereby flooding the battery compartment.

Charlie99: Thanks for the response. Good point on the chance of flood.

Bjorn

sad.gif
I am in Bonaire. I carried my Oceanic VT 4 on the plane and put it in the overhead. I'm guessing my carry-on bag got bumped during the flight and it came on. The next next day after arriving I turned it on and got an "Altitude Error". The dive shop took out the battery for about an hour and it reset. The "Altitude Error" returned again today. I am sitting here wondering how long to leave the battery out so it might reset. Any suggestions?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom