Dive Computer + Air Integration – Yay or Nay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nobody claimed it was a computer. It is called a console for a reason. Any device that keeps a record of time & depth can be used as a backup. How did you ever learn to plan a dive using tables without a device that knows your depth and a device for dive time. Good thing I learned to dive before dive computers came along and made people lazy. :)
You are claiming to use a non computer to back up your computer!!!!
So you bring a dive table on every dive !!!!

How many OW divers are taking LOB trips? Not too many I know some require AOW and Nitrox preferred as a minimum but not all.
Plenty!
What you do not know do not know.
What you know count nothing. There are plenty with different ideas.

Some do, but again from a U.S. perspective, someone certified at the OW level who goes on to get AOW still won't likely encounter tables, and I doubt most of those taking nitrox will, either. For practical purposes, tables don't exist for a lot of fairly recently minted recreational divers.

Ah, sounds like this is a regional variation issue. So your suggestions might work well in the area you are accustomed to. In the U.S. and Caribbean, tables are seldom seen where I've dove (in fact, it's practically assumed everyone's diving a computer, from what I can tell).

I don't know what the BSAC or CMAS folks are doing these days with OW level training. Interesting topic, even if tangential to the thread.

Richard.
Did BSAC OD about 5 years ago. Tables were mandatory and we all did a bunch of exercises on the tables, but DC only on actual dives (at least with my club).

It wasn't until AI that I've heard/read so much about redundancy of tank pressure monitors/indicators. Since the advent of SPGs I don't think I ever saw anyone with 2 hose mounted SPGs unless it was on IDs or SM rigs. Now it's AI and SPG for some, for "redundancy". Probably just a coincident.
I have an entire spare regulator setup with me including SPG and octo, but I don't bring it into water with me.
I do rarely use 2 PDC on a dive.

I think I use the term "redundancy" but in reality it's more of a comfort. I use an SPG and it never failed me. I'm new to this transmitter voodoo magic and ai... I feel comfortable knowing that with an spg I'll still know what my gas is if the black magic fails. It's not really for redundancy though, you're right. It's my lack of trust in electronics underwater. Maybe that will change and I'll get rid of the spg at some point. I haven't really had any issues.

I wonder what % of OW divers certified in the past 10 years in the U.S. ever learned to use tables? I have no idea; sincere question.

I was cert in PA in 2017 and we learned tables and we took a test on tables. You couldn't really fail, but we still did it, lol.

Did BSAC OD about 5 years ago. Tables were mandatory and we all did a bunch of exercises on the tables, but DC only on actual dives (at least with my club).
There is nothing wrong to dive with the table.
I was on a LoB(TAKA II) in GBR over 20yrs ago and the rule :
Table user was limited to 18m max unless able to plan "multi-level" with the 'Wheel". No problem but bought my first dc afterward.
AFAIK, dc is compulsory in Philippines but whether being enforced is another story.

I think I use the term "redundancy" but in reality it's more of a comfort. I use an SPG and it never failed me. I'm new to this transmitter voodoo magic and ai... I feel comfortable knowing that with an spg I'll still know what my gas is if the black magic fails. It's not really for redundancy though, you're right. It's my lack of trust in electronics underwater. Maybe that will change and I'll get rid of the spg at some point. I haven't really had any issues.

I don't use AI, but i think at this point, the failure rate of AI is similar to the failure rate of SPGs. They are both pretty rare. And as mentioned upthread, SPGs have an unsafe failure mode (sticking) that you don't see with AI.

BTW, if you fly to a dive site in a modern aircraft, your life is dependent on a lot of transmitter voodoo magic!

:D

I don't use AI, but i think at this point, the failure rate of AI is similar to the failure rate of SPGs. They are both pretty rare. And as mentioned upthread, SPGs have an unsafe failure mode (sticking) that you don't see with AI.

BTW, if you fly to a dive site in a modern aircraft, your life is dependent on a lot of transmitter voodoo magic!

:D
Oh I agree, I know it's me... it's just hard switching from all the way doing one thing to doing another that was at one time riddled with disconnects and some issues. The spg was already on my kit, I added the trans.. it wasn't hard to leave the spg on there for comfort.

When I fly I pay the pilot to do his job, when I dive it's my job to think things through and know what I'm getting myself into, lol.

When I fly I pay the pilot to do his job, when I dive it's my job to think things through and know what I'm getting myself into, lol.
Pilot error is quite common but we have to TRUST them.
Same apply to spg or AI or any electronic/mechanical.
Look after your gear and prepare to deal with any failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom