Dive Charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SkipperJohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I should know this, but I don't actually use my credentials. I got my license just in case. As a backup should my primary job dry up. And out of respect for a friend who used to job with me as he called me captain and said he couldn't because I wasn't. Then he passed.
Anyway, my question. A friend of mine has a 6-pack license. He is trying to make a go of it as his only source of supporting his family. He does fishing charters. What does he need should he decide to do a dive charter? Does he have to have a DM? Oxygen? Etc.
Thanks guys.

Is he even a diver?
Does he have a suitable boat?
Does he have business insurance on the boat?
There are alot of issues that need to be addressed and can't be learnt on the internet.

I suspect making a living with charters is as bad or worse than making a living with a shop. If you wanna make a million, better start with 2.

Is he even a diver?
Does he have a suitable boat?
Does he have business insurance on the boat?
There are alot of issues that need to be addressed and can't be learnt on the internet.

I suspect making a living with charters is as bad or worse than making a living with a shop. If you wanna make a million, better start with 2.

No, yes & yes.
He is not a diver.
His boat is suitable.
He has all the proper insurance & safetly equipment (as I said, he does fishing charters)

I know about the problems making a living chartering... He works now as a "transporter" in a hospital (the guys who move patients form test to test) & charters on weekends. He has dreams. He asked me if I knew what he needed to do dive charters figuring he'd pick up a few more charters form it. I honestly didn't know.

At least in New England, scuba charters are a seasonal business and its pretty hard to get year round insurance. About the only charter operating year-round up there is the Gauntlet, run by Heather and Dave Northern Atlantic Dive Expeditions - About Us
You might have your friend research how their business functions. I don't know if they are on this board.

Since he is not even a diver, I would highly recommend that he pick up a mate who is at least a Dive Master. Someone in the crew needs to understand diving, at least from the safety viewpoint. A good, knowledgeamle crew will also make the diving experience more enjoyable for his customers. Another issue is liability. Normal charter boat insurance will not cover the operator for any incidents that occur to divers once they step off of the boat. That means he has no liability coverage for diving accidents. Most dive charters handle this by buying instructor or dive master insurance.

Thanks guys. I'll pass this along to Captain Tommy! (you know the saying how god watches over children and drunks? We can add captain Tom to the list White Rose Charters)

Correct me if I'm wrong but from my limited expirence the main reason for having a Dive Master is for insurance. Charter boat insurance covers you from incidents as long as the passengers are on board. Once they willingly jump off a perfectally good boat your charter boat insurance ends and the Dive Masters insurance takes over.

Back
Top Bottom