Getting my 11 y/o into diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting senior parental units to discover dive is the same thing. I notice pool and ocean outlook totally different with the latter breeding immense anxiety from vastness/wildlife. In this situation, best to let the DM parent the baby boomers 😄

I’m in the process of getting my 9 year old daughter into SCUBA. For years she wanted to dive after seeing divers at the aquarium. I have always dreamed of taking the family on diving vacations. My intent has always been to support her comfort level so she feels the fun and no pressure. Recently she has said she is not that into SCUBA anymore. She knows that I dream of doing family dive trips so she is ready to work with me. I have made sure that she knows she has complete veto power over anything dive related (anyone can call any dive for any reason). She is about to do a SSI SCUBA Explorer camp at the local dive shop. 5 days, 3 hrs a day, in the pool. I promised her that if she is not comfortable, we can talk about it and she can quit when she wants. If she enjoys it, she can drop her Junior Open Water next year. I’m crossing my fingers right now.

I’m in the process of getting my 9 year old daughter into SCUBA. For years she wanted to dive after seeing divers at the aquarium. I have always dreamed of taking the family on diving vacations. My intent has always been to support her comfort level so she feels the fun and no pressure. Recently she has said she is not that into SCUBA anymore. She knows that I dream of doing family dive trips so she is ready to work with me. I have made sure that she knows she has complete veto power over anything dive related (anyone can call any dive for any reason). She is about to do a SSI SCUBA Explorer camp at the local dive shop. 5 days, 3 hrs a day, in the pool. I promised her that if she is not comfortable, we can talk about it and she can quit when she wants. If she enjoys it, she can drop her Junior Open Water next year. I’m crossing my fingers right now.
I want to do that!

Welcome to the forums, I'm also in TN. That scuba camp sounds like fun -- hope she enjoys it a lot!

I got certified when I was ten and I am now an instructor who has taught a lot of kids. It sounds like he is in to marine life, which is great! It will be scary but kids like to feel like superheroes so if you get really excited about it and don't show your concern, that can sometimes help them get over the mental block that you are worried about. I think starting off with snorkeling is always wise, and finding an instructor that is good with kids is equally important. Going with your child for the first dive can sometimes make it harder, and giving them space to overcome that fear is also important - even though it is scary! I always take a lot of time to ease them into the water, first showing them how everything works on land and reassuring them that I will be there the entire time, then we typically go in the water and stick our faces in so we can feel what it's like to breathe with a reg, eventually we sit on our knees with barely any water over our heads, and slowly we will make it to deeper water (still very shallow). Your attitude towards the experience and the instructors attitudes are maybe the most crucial bits! I am so thankful that my parents got me into it young, some of my favorite childhood memories are from family dive trips and it led me to my awesome work as an instructor too! Kids are curious and adventurous and less fearful than adults in a lot of cases, diving is a great place to channel that.

Back
Top Bottom