Dive Centers with AED On Board Dive Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well the interesting thing is that those standards apply to commercial divers and employed divers and fall under the Occ Health and Safety legislation so technically they do not apply to the patrons or recreational divers. The dive ops do apply them as if they were legislated for their customers tho... I will see if I can find the relevant info..

Found it.

Compressed Air Recreational Diving and Recreational Snorkelling Code of Practice 2005

Quote:
1.3.6 Equipment for diving
1.3.6A All divers

The employer/self-employed person should ensure diving equipment supplied to
divers is:
(a) suitable for the type of diving being undertaken and of sufficient quality to
ensure it performs effectively for the wearer
(b) checked before diving starts to ensure it is in safe working condition
(c) cleaned and kept in good repair
(d) maintained in accordance with manufacturers’ specifications.
Oral/nasal equipment should be disinfected prior to use by another person, that is, it
does not need disinfecting if the same person is using the equipment over a period of
time.
1.3.6B Resort divers
All resort divers, other than those doing helmet diving, should wear the following
equipment:
(a) fins
(b) mask
(c) compressed air cylinder and valve designed specifically for SCUBA
(d) buoyancy control device fitted with a power inflator device
(e) regulator fitted with an alternate air source or an alternative air supply
(f) submersible depth and cylinder pressure indicators
(g) quick-release weight system
(h) exposure protection, as appropriate to conditions.
1.3.6C Entry-level certificate divers
All entry-level certificate divers should wear:
(a) all the equipment in 1.3.6B; plus
(b) snorkel (attachable or attached to the mask)
(c) submersible timing device during open water dives
(d) a knife, dive tool or shears if there is a chance of entanglement
1.3.6D Certificated divers
All certificated divers should wear:
(b) snorkel (attachable or attached to the mask)
(c) submersible timing device during open water dives
(d) a knife, dive tool or shears if there is a chance of entanglement
(e) emergency signalling equipment, including a high visibility signalling device,
for example, a safety sausage; and an audible signalling device, for example,
a whistle
(f) a lighted signalling device, for example, a glow stick, if diving is to take place
close to dusk or after dark
(g) a torch, if night diving is being undertaken.

1.3.6E Diving workers
All diving workers should wear:
(b) snorkel (attachable or attached to mask)
(c) submersible timing device
(d) a knife, dive tool or shears
(e) emergency signalling equipment, including a high visibility signalling device,
for example, a safety sausage; and an audible signalling device, for example,
a whistle
(f) a lighted signalling device, for example, a glow stick, if diving is to take place
close to dusk or after dark
(g) a torch, if night diving is being undertaken
(h) slate and writing instrument.
Notice it says "should" as opposed to "must", and no mention of a computer closest it gets is "submersible timing device during open water dives"

Hi B 0f P
think you will find the computer and SMB are infact law.
they are part of the Code of Practice for Qld.
so State OH & S regulation.

which is taken from the Australian Standards for Recreational Scuba Diving and Diving Operations Commercial & Recreational.

Will get a copy of Standard 2299 tomorrow and check it out if it has changed as well.

hey I would love to see that.. not sure if we are doing a bit of a hijack here tho:shocked2: Is the OP okay with the direction we are taking or would you rather we split off into another thread on this?

Hey BOP,

No worries... the discussion about AED and rules/laws in Aus are interesting, at least to me the OP.

Edit: But I did not see an AED related information in the " Code of Practice 2005" list above, so it would be good to keep, at least, some AED discussion in the posts :D

yeah.. Diva and I are doing a little PM'ing re prices... Sounds like Diva may be referring to a newer version of the Code of practice so if she posts it tomorrow maybe we will see what they are saying about Defibs.

The info on the rating and what they stand for is interesting. It is fascinating how few operators see them as needed.

Interesting concept on the Defib for stings... I think I will pop an email off to our Medical Review Board and ask if these events are likely to result in a shockable rhythm... fascinating

I do prefer not to make public the name of my employer tho :)

what I have posted before can from the Qld Code of Practice.
I will download the Australian Standard 2299 tomorrow from the libary, which should say what is required by Australian Standard. Sorry the above link does not take you to the PDF only the website. you have to search Diving.

Have just attached a copy of the qld code of practice 2010
page 12 and 13
ep

Hey BOP,

No worries... the discussion about AED and rules/laws in Aus are interesting, at least to me the OP.

Edit: But I did not see an AED related information in the " Code of Practice 2005" list above, so it would be good to keep, at least, some AED discussion in the posts :D

Thanks.. we will try to keep it on topic here:D Here in Oz you don't have to have a certificate to use a Defib in the public domain but if you have a defib in your worksite.. as a Duty of Care you should be trained and competent in the use of it. It is a piece of equipment you could reasonable be expected to use so you should be trained and hold current certificate on it.

Defib certs are only good for one year. I have had a number of my students successfully use Defibs through the years.. but all on land:blinking:

what I have posted before can from the Qld Code of Practice.
I will download the Australian Standard 2299 tomorrow from the libary, which should say what is required by Australian Standard. Sorry the above link does not take you to the PDF only the website. you have to search Diving.

Have just attached a copy of the qld code of practice 2010
page 12 and 13
ep

I will have a check of that tomorrow... now my eyes are getting heavy and Ironicly I am teaching an Advanced Life Support course tomorrow.. including DEFIB, O2 systems and Analgesic Gasses so I need to get some sleep for an early start..night all... fascinating discussion and I appreciate any chance to get the DEFIB and O2 message out there.. thanks:happywave:

Well, it would be good, IMHO, to be a bit careful with vocabulary. For example, AED does not equal DEFIB. An AED uses a computer to automate the process of determining if the patience needs to be defib (and a shock cannot be delivered when the computer does not permit it, except those that have a manual override), and non medical personnel can use AED, but not a manual defib machine, in Thailand.

So, as a gentle reminder, this discussion is about AED, not general defib, which include manual defib machines.

Thanks for a useful discussion, BTW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom