Dive Centers with AED On Board Dive Boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi stiggy!

Point well made!

I am pleased to hear your experience with the murky and blurry waters in Thailand worked out!

If you ever need to contact Dr. Kamonsak for assistance in a similar or different context, my offer to help with, at least a contact number or more if I can, will always be there.

In the near future in Queensland Australia vessels with over 20 customers are being asked to carry them.

What form does this 'being asked' take? Recommendation or legal requirement? Without an enforcement mechanism, a recommendation may be considered and then quite easily rejected.

With the number of tourist divers in Queensland and the publicity any dive related issue gets I suspect the "recommendation" will result in a high percentage of Operators having DEFIBs on board. There is a lot of competition for the tourist dollars and I think that will also drive compliance.

In Queensland there are a number of safety processes that Operators enforce that are not actually required by law. I also know there are a lot of operators over here that insist divers have computers and actually have "loaners" on board for those who don't have their own. A fair number of operators also insist divers have SMB's and provide "loaners" to those who did not bring them.

It will be interesting how it works out as DEFIB's are sensitive to vibrations and it is not recommended that they be used in moving vehicles. Also having low water tolerance can be an issue. The Defib I purchased has the highest water tolerance and has been successfully used on a rescue boat but I understand the boat had to be "dead in the water" no engines running during the analyze - shock phase. I believe that supply and demand are likely to result in more and more water tolerant and vibration tolerant DEFIBs.

Fortunatly in Australia there has been a concerted effort to get more Defibs in the public domain. Pubs, Clubs, Sporting Venues, Airports, Train stations and many Malls have Defibs readily available on site now. They really should be as common as fire extinguishers! Nobody thinks twice about fire extinguishers and Fire Alarms in public places... it needs to be the same for DEFIBS!

:soapbox:

I agree that AED's should be on all dive vessels, Thailand Aust USA Japan everywhere.

Qld had a new code of practice in March 2010
this is an extract
inregards to AED's

(f)
The person conducting the business or undertaking should ensure that a risk assessment is undertaken to determine if an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) and trained operator should be available for use on a vessel. Factors to consider in conducting the risk assessment are the ability to use the AED safely, the age of the persons undertaking water activities, access to and response time of emergency services, and available personnel.

This is a link to the whole code for those interested
www.deir.qld.gov.au/workplace/.../pdfs/divingrecreational_code2010.pdf

The reason I feel operators on the GBR should have them is because of the marine life and the
risk of heart failure from stings, bites and barbs.

The biggest number of heart attacks on the GBR happen to snorklers.
They usually are the people who cannot dive because they cannot pass the medical or older people who over exert themselves the first week of their holiday and their body is just not use to so much activity.

From what the code says, in theory only, it is not mandatory to carry an AED.
but, and there's always a but,
it is up to the operator to do a risk assessment on each days events.

Boat one is taking six asian business men all over the age of 50 for a day out snorkling and one DSD on the reef.......yes I would manage the risk by taking the AED and ensure a qualified instructor was onboard.
Boat two is taking six asian IT professionals all aged under 30 for a day out snorkling and one DSD on the reef......would get them to fill out a medical form, so I can judge the risk further.
If there are no existing conditions I would accept the risk should an AED be out on the other boat.
Ideally I would have two if I had two boats.

Off course I would hate to be the operator in the corners hearing trying to explain and justify a risk assessment in the event of an incident.

Thanks for this discussion as I have just been looking at purchasing one for training.
In aust the training models seem to cost round $2000
They are expensive.

Yep the teeth are in the risk assessment. In the event of an incident it will be a hard sell that the risk assessment was adequate.

Regarding selecting an AED, I found this article, which has this interesting paragraph applicable to boats:

AEDs usually have an Ingress Protection Rating which describes how they are protected against dust and water or liquids. The actual definition of the word ingress is the act of entering. The rating is expressed in two numbers; the first number shows the amount of protection from particles ranging from 0 equaling no protection to 6 which signifies dust tight. The second number shows protection from liquids with 0 describing no protection to 8 which is protection during continuous submersion in water.An AED with a rating of IP54 would be protected from dust or sand and could be used in heavy rain. In your home this rating will not matter too much but if you plan on keeping an AED on a boat or you like to camp in the desert or at the beach, it makes a difference.

Actually, the entire article is good......

PM sent.. re prices...

Hi B 0f P
think you will find the computer and SMB are infact law.
they are part of the Code of Practice for Qld.
so State OH & S regulation.

which is taken from the Australian Standards for Recreational Scuba Diving and Diving Operations Commercial & Recreational.

Will get a copy of Standard 2299 tomorrow and check it out if it has changed as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom