Dive Catalina on the Island Time, 12/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm booked on the catalina express now too. Some rules:

Only two bags allowed.

Must carry weights seperately with you on board, your scuba bag must go below in storage. If you use one of the standard roller bags (like Akona) you'll be fine, they sometimes become sticklers for the Pelican hard cases though, so beware.

Only 1 tank allowed per diver (what they really mean though is one rig - you can have doubles), but you should mention this when making reservations. Anyway with the one tank rule be sure and bring your largest tank.

Must be in line waiting 30 min before departure with ticket in hand.

The Scuba Luv trailer on the point can fill Din (my steel 100) and yolk. If we don't make each dive 70 minutes long we might get in 3 dives.

FYI ... Late last week I developed a bad ear infection. Likely from all the dawn patrol surf sessions ... without ear plugs (my bad). Despite being on meds since Friday, it's not substantially better. Looks like I'll remain out the water for the rest of the week ... no diving or surfing :-( THAT REALLY SUCKS !

Consequently, I've decided to back out of the trip this Wed. I've been in contact with John (wetrat) since late last week and notified him today of my decision. So as of this posting, there should be 2 spots available. PM John if you know anyone that's interested.

Regarding the conditions for Wed. It looks the new swell that's forecasted to fill in through the day will be coming in from a fairly steep NW angle. Consequently, there should be substantially less energy that slips through compared to last Wed. It could be a little bumpy around the inlet, but things should be OK once in the protected shadow of the island. The conditions on the frontside of the island are going to be significantly better than anything encountered on the mainland this week. Sorry, we're going to miss it. Have fun all !

riguerin:
FYI ... Late last week I developed a bad ear infection. Likely from all the dawn patrol surf sessions ... without ear plugs (my bad). Despite being on meds since Friday, it's not substantially better. Looks like I'll remain out the water for the rest of the week ... no diving or surfing :-( THAT REALLY SUCKS !

Consequently, I've decided to back out of the trip this Wed. I've been in contact with John (wetrat) since late last week and notified him today of my decision. So as of this posting, there should be 2 spots available. PM John if you know anyone that's interested.

Regarding the conditions for Wed. It looks the new swell that's forecasted to fill in through the day will be coming in from a fairly steep NW angle. Consequently, there should be substantially less energy that slips through compared to last Wed. It could be a little bumpy around the inlet, but things should be OK once in the protected shadow of the island. The conditions on the frontside of the island are going to be significantly better than anything encountered on the mainland this week. Sorry, we're going to miss it. Have fun all !
Sorry you can't make it! Sure you don't want to come along and help carry gear? eyebrow

Good news for 2 divers who are bummed about the surf - two spots on the boat are now open for this Catalina 3-dive trip on Wedneday!

PM WetRat for details.

Thanks for the info DiverBuoy - I think I'm going to rent tanks and weights over there for the Avalon Underwater Park dive on the 29th. I just called Catalina Divers Supply - there will not be any tanks and weights (or fills) available at the underwater park on Thursday. We will need to rent our tanks and weights from a shop in Avalon. Catalina Divers Supply located on the pier on the way over will rent two tanks for $15 - didn't check on cost for weights.

John

Oh forgot to mention cost of the Catalina Express is 54 bucks. Once we get to the harbor we can do a shared cost on a truck/van over to the point to carry gear (for those who need to transport hard gear). The walk isn't horrible over to the point if you have wheel bag, or cart. But over the shoulder tank carrying that far can be fun to say the least. The run to the point is 10 bucks. Air fills at the trailer at the point were $4.50 in August assuming no changes, the pier is likely competetive. Food is reasonable for other places in California 8-12 bucks.

Will there only be 3 of us on the express maran to catalina?

DiverBuoy:
Did you find out when CDS opens on the pier?

Hours at CDS at the pier are 8 am to 4 pm. I believe he said fills are $5.

DiverBuoy:
Will there only be 3 of us on the express maran to catalina?

So far, yes.

Looking forward to meeting you DB!

Back
Top Bottom