Dive Catalina on the Island Time, 12/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Diver:
ok soo. what dive sites have been decided for the island time catalina trip? does the boat have a compressor on board?

Hey Tyler! We'll decide sites the morning of. Rich, our skipper, has been a dive boat captain at Catalina for about 20 years, so he'll have some good ideas. I'm going to start by asking him if Blue Caverns would work. Yes, they do have a compressor to 3,000 psi.

John

excellent! thanks john

wetrat:
Hey Tyler! We'll decide sites the morning of. Rich, our skipper, has been a dive boat captain at Catalina for about 20 years, so he'll have some good ideas. I'm going to start by asking him if Blue Caverns would work. Yes, they do have a compressor to 3,000 psi.

John

Rich rules. I've been to literally every site on that island, at least so I thought, we asked for an untouched major lobster hole, and Rich took us to one. I couldn't believe it it was heaven - 3-4 pound bugs just walking around on the sand, I almost felt bad taking them - not!

if i wanted to catch some bugs would i need a permit? VA Beach dive charter captains usualy had a boat permit that covered the divers, was wondering if it was the same here.

individual permits are required ... game sticker plus ocean enhancement sticker for bugs. you also have to have a legal guage on your person (even if you don't use it). Rarely, though not completely unheard of the Warden's do dive. And they are on a mission the last couple of weeks. Me and a some buddies have been blowing the whistle on poachers with there little dingy's dropping fishheads and netting. you know they are totally out of line when your boat comes up on them and they reel everything in quickly and race away.

DiverBuoy:
Rich rules. I've been to literally every site on that island, at least so I thought, we asked for an untouched major lobster hole, and Rich took us to one. I couldn't believe it it was heaven - 3-4 pound bugs just walking around on the sand, I almost felt bad taking them - not!

Cool - this is going to be awesome!! Just talked to Rich and he said conditions for the trip over look good. Dive conditions look good too. Just a few last minute things to remember for tomorrow. Bring your own weights. If you want more than just snack food and soda, bring it. Bring any hot drinks you want in a thermos. Don't forget your certification cards. It's a 7:30 am show - don't be late! We have to fill out liability forms, get our gear aboard, etc. For directions to the boat, click here: http://www.expressdivers.com/ My cell number is 760-822-2195 if you have any problems or questions. See everyone bright and early!:D

John

Well, some of us did three. I posted a pseudo-report in the report thread. Yeah, I know it's not even close to a report but hey! There's pictures!!!

Thanks again to John for organizing this and to all the board members that made it out. It was a pleasure diving with you.

Terry

divinman:
Well, some of us did three. I posted a pseudo-report in the report thread. Yeah, I know it's not even close to a report but hey! There's pictures!!!

Thanks again to John for organizing this and to all the board members that made it out. It was a pleasure diving with you.

Terry
Glad to hear you all had a great time! The pictures rocked!

I'm sure we'll hear more from the others after they get some rest. :wink:

I hope to see some of you at the Wrinkles Dive in La Jolla in January.

I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to meet Rick while he was down here. I guess I'll just have to take a trip up north sometime. :D

Christian

divinman:
Terry

John, thanks for putting this together. Super job! It was a great idea and I’m thrilled to have been able to go.

It was a pleasure meeting everyone and lots of fun putting faces to all of the Scuba- names and avatars.

For people that have never met Rick, he is truly a class act. It was an honor to dive with him and Tony (ScubaLizard).

I had a great time.

Oh, and thank you Claudette and Scott. If it weren’t t for you two, I’d probably have driven by the location. :D

Back
Top Bottom