Dive Catalina on the Island Time, 12/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done quite a bit of boat diving at Catalina over the summer and fall, and thought I could pitch in with a couple of thoughts. Blue Cavern is a beautiful site, but consider it for a live drop- there is a small white buoy that marks the entrance to the cavern (I believe on St Brendan's it is marked as the "overhang"). Drop down the line to the bottom facing the wall (about 75') and swim directly to the entrance. You can swim into the cavern about 30'- it's very dark and you need a primary strength light (at least 4C/4D) to see. After exiting you can continue along the wall, return and exit at the buoy. You can have a similar, beautiful wall dive along the west and north sides of Ship rock. Another option is the north wall at Bird Rock. All three of these are within 5-10" of each other. If the current/wind pick up, you can head up to the West Rock Quarry for the 3rd dive.

As for the Island Time- it's like a sports car- built for speed, not comfort. The food was more snacks than meals. There isn't a cabin, just bench seating along the sides in front of the tanks. A few people can sit up on the flying bridge, great view. Make sure you don't try to use the head while underway, it is directly in the bow and you can get slammed around! Last, there are only a few tank holders that can accomodate tanks with a boot.

Have fun!

I paddled out at first light at Upper Trestles this morning. Things started off pretty slowly, but this swell started to fill in quickly with the tide push. By around 8:30AM we were pulling in some solid overhead sets (8-9+ ft). After the session, I spoke to a friend who was at Swami’s (Cardiff). He said they were pulling in some solid double overhead sets.

I decided to take PCH in into work to check out conditions in Laguna. Around 10 AM, South Laguna was getting some solid head high shore pound. At Heisler Park, there were about a dozen surfers sitting off the big rocks to the south picking off some shoulder-head high waves … occasionally, there were some waves that were breaking on the far outside reefs. The coves to the north (Diver’s, Fisherman’s, Shaw’s) looked significantly more protected. However, there was still some 3-4 ft shore break sneaking in. It looked like there was lots of water moving around … mixing thing up. No sign of any divers. As of 2 PM, Laguna Beaches are reported closed. If not for the ground swell and surge , the weather conditions were otherwise perfect … a gorgeous, warm, clear, sunny day with a light offshore breeze.

It’s true that we can’t predict the dive conditions for next week with any absolute certainly. It is still way too early to get freaked about anything. We'll just wait and see what develops. On a positive note, it doesn’t appear that any of these systems are forecasted to bring any significant amount precipitation to our area. That brown, fecle rich, urban run off just really kills the vis ... and makes your gear stink too ;-)

mark99:
As for the Island Time- it's like a sports car- built for speed, not comfort.

So, dry suit on before boarding?

I think you guys are going to have a great time no matter where you end up!

You just have to pick you spots and maybe drive around a bit for the shore dives.

As far as the boat goes, they're just going to motor around 'til it looks good...and that boat will motor around quickly.

I wish I could join you all, but it's just not in the cards. Wave at a few fish and tell 'em it's from me. :D

Christian

Rick Inman:
Does this mean we can kick the first dive back to a little later... say, 7:30 or so? I'm still hoping for 3 dives, maybe a night dive... whatever.

Oh, also, is there some kind of snorkel ordinance in Laguna? I may need to take a snorkel refresher course if there is.

Rick Inman, Of course :) and Of course (snorkel required, though I personally have a full sized snorkel, there are some divers who bring the foldable type in their pocket just in case they have to make incense smoke to the laguna gods)

What time you wanna start the actual dive? 8:30am? 9:00am?

Night dive would be excellent too ... later the better for best creature show!

Rick Inman:

nah ... when you get about 25 min out ... Chris will tell you, then you can start donning. Once you first board you can get your hard gear all squared away ... unless you have a shallow fill, then you'll have to tag your tank so they can fill on the way over.

DiverBuoy:
What time you wanna start the actual dive? 8:30am? 9:00am?
Starting nice and early. Check out Robert's (our wise and brave leader) post HERE.

One more week!! :D :D

Rick Inman:

No worries, there is enough protected space for everyone to sit and not get wet on the crossing. It will be a lot rougher than on the big fat slow boats (sorry Sundiver), but that's cause you're going a lot faster. As soon as you are in the protection of the Island it will be calmer and no problem to gear up.

I took my son to the beach today to check out the swell. I drove through Laguna and stopped by Crescent. Not a lot of waves to speak of, though there were some sets coming in.
We ended up at reef point where we watched some large (8-12') waves roll in at the western section of the beach. Some nice rideable faces out there. Though mostly the waves were in the 4-6' range and a lot of small sets on the eastern section of the reef. Entry was very do-able, though vis may be crud.

One thing to keep in mind as the date gets closer and more swells are predicted: Laguna Beach Lifeguards are very liberal (or conservative depending on which way you look at it) on what conditions merit closing of the city beaches to SCUBA diving. I have gone out early morning and done a dive and by the time I got out of the water the beaches had been closed to diving. I have also gone to the beach and thumbed dives before entering only to fully agree with lifeguards when they have come around to report beach closures.
Lifeguards in Laguna think of the least common denominator when they decide to close the beaches. If johnny New Diver can get killed, no one dives.

I will continue to check the Lifeguard surf/dive report line and stay well up on the latest conditions for next week. According to the CDIP site, surf in most of OC is in the 2-4' range with some 1-2' and some 4-6' areas. We shall see!

Robb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom