Dive buddy for air? No thanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tna9001

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, got your attention:D

My question is if you were starting from scratch designing a protocol to address the out of air diver would it make sense to use your dive buddy?

The concept of redundancy for critical equipment in recreational diving breaks down with the rubber O-ring.

So, why not use a truly redundant system for recreational diving?

Ok, got your attention:D

My question is if you were starting from scratch designing a protocol to address the out of air diver would it make sense to use your dive buddy?

The concept of redundancy for critical equipment in recreational diving breaks down with the rubber O-ring.

So, why not use a truly redundant system for recreational diving?
No reason at all ... and your dive shop will love you for it ... :D

Just make sure you get a redundant source that's adequate to your needs ... and establish protocols for assuring that the reg is accessible and usable if/when you need it.

Also keep in mind that a dive buddy provides more redundancy than just air ... assuming that you've both been properly trained and follow procedures for actually BEING a dive buddy, as opposed to just another person in the water at roughly the same place and time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

critical equipment in recreational diving breaks down with the rubber O-ring.

Welded my first stage right to the tank valve after I filled it. No o-ring issues after that!

One less failure point for me. (Tried crazy glue, but it didn't work so well)

Maybe try a silicone o-ring?

If you plan to buddy dive you don't need to carry redundant gear for every dive. It costs more, slows you down and is a bit like driving around with an extra gas tank in your car. If you can't reach your buddy in time, either make dives you feel you can make a self-rescue or stay closer to your buddy. There are dives where doubles and stage bottles are required, or a rebreather, but for most recreational diving nothing more than a single tank and reg will suffice.

I always tell my students that the most important equipment choice they will make is who they dive with since they will be their alternate air source with a brain attached to it.

And there is always the issue of packing it for travel. It is not impossible but it means you will have to make some compromises that a good dive buddy (or other plan) would make unnecessary. OTOH, for deeper diving where travel weight is not an issue, I often carry a pony even when diving with a good buddy. It just gives us more options.

When was the last time an OW diver, diving in OW, drowned from an OOA situation?

I am guessing you DON'T mean one of these:

sp.jpg

Ye ole 1.7 cubes of air for $180

HAHA, yeah, that's redundant air supply. That's a pipedeam, a false sense of security.

It happens far more frequently than you might think.

A wonderful kid from the Seattle area died in Puget Sound a few years ago after going OOA, a young diver, all-around great kid.

Here is yet another account:
Scuba diver dies after being pulled from water near Alki

Google any coastal city and the words "diver drowns" and see what you come up with...

Even one loss like this is too many, considering that such losses are preventable 99% of the time.

FWIW,

Doc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom