Dive boat staff = wet dust cap on Atomic Aquatics reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KristicallaT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a practically brand new Atomic Aquatics Z2 reg set (which I'm still struggling to figure out the best way to clean anyway). On a recent trip there were several times when dive boat staff switched my reg over to a new tank before I had a chance to do it myself. The most egregious incident occurred when a guy literally grabbed the tank off my back before I could even walk to sit down, and put my dust cap on totally wet! I immediately removed it and dried it the best I could with a towel (no air to use...) but I'm like, WTH!? This was a special dive with different staff. Our regular staff were better, but even they did a cursory blast of air before replacing the dust cap, without checking it was totally dry. Otherwise these staff were wonderful, and they are very experienced & professional. Is this type of thing common? Should I be concerned about the well-being of my gear? Is there anything I can do to "clean" out any salt contamination? Do you guys gently prompt dive boat staff that you'll take care of your gear yourself?

I'd also appreciate any advice on maintaining Atomic Aquatics regs, because it's kind of a PIA. I've just been dunking one side (primary second stage & octo) and then dunking the other side (LP inflator hose & pressure gauge) and swishing, and then gently rinsing the first stage with fresh water from a faucet. Is this the best option? Thank you!

P.S. I've been home for over a week and I just removed the dust cap, and it's still slightly moist underneath, so some amount of salt water has definitely been introduced to my first stage. :(

The AA dust cap is one of the best out there, it really can’t hold much if any water. If the Z is sealed it’s easy to cap and soak to get salt out of the few nooks, if not sealed same short soak and running water through the holes of the ambient chamber to flush any loose stuff. Second stage can be left to soak as long as you like so long as the first stage is sitting higher, after ward hang it so any water that may have crept past the seal drains.

I have a practically brand new Atomic Aquatics Z2 reg set (which I'm still struggling to figure out the best way to clean anyway). On a recent trip there were several times when dive boat staff switched my reg over to a new tank before I had a chance to do it myself. The most egregious incident occurred when a guy literally grabbed the tank off my back before I could even walk to sit down, and put my dust cap on totally wet! I immediately removed it and dried it the best I could with a towel (no air to use...) but I'm like, WTH!? This was a special dive with different staff. Our regular staff were better, but even they did a cursory blast of air before replacing the dust cap, without checking it was totally dry. Otherwise these staff were wonderful, and they are very experienced & professional. Is this type of thing common? Should I be concerned about the well-being of my gear? Is there anything I can do to "clean" out any salt contamination? Do you guys gently prompt dive boat staff that you'll take care of your gear yourself?

I'd also appreciate any advice on maintaining Atomic Aquatics regs, because it's kind of a PIA. I've just been dunking one side (primary second stage & octo) and then dunking the other side (LP inflator hose & pressure gauge) and swishing, and then gently rinsing the first stage with fresh water from a faucet. Is this the best option? Thank you!

P.S. I've been home for over a week and I just removed the dust cap, and it's still slightly moist underneath, so some amount of salt water has definitely been introduced to my first stage. :(

That's typical. Get used to it. I rinse my reg and valve with fresh water before switching tanks or before removing from the tank. Sometimes, I have to be stern (with a smile) with boat crews in order for them to understand that no one touches my sheet. They will get a much bigger tip if they allow me to switch out tanks for my wife and I (we help each other).

My wife learned this lesson again last winter. A well known Cayman Islands dive op promotes concierge gear service. My wife's Scuba Pro reg was sopping wet with salt water (inside) and had to be rebuilt for the second time in a few months. Expensive lesson!

Rinse/clean your reg under pressure.

cheers,
m

The AA dust cap is one of the best out there, it really can’t hold much if any water. If the Z is sealed it’s easy to cap and soak to get salt out of the few nooks, if not sealed same short soak and running water through the holes of the ambient chamber to flush any loose stuff. Second stage can be left to soak as long as you like so long as the first stage is sitting higher, after ward hang it so any water that may have crept past the seal drains.
OK cool, thanks. I might just take the equipment maintenance class at my LDS and see what they think about possible salt contamination in my first stage.

That's typical. Get used to it. I rinse my reg and valve with fresh water before switching tanks or before removing from the tank. Sometimes, I have to be stern (with a smile) with boat crews in order for them to understand that no one touches my sheet. They will get a much bigger tip if they allow me to switch out tanks for my wife and I (we help each other).

My wife learned this lesson again last winter. A well known Cayman Islands dive op promotes concierge gear service. My wife's Scuba Pro reg was sopping wet with salt water (inside) and had to be rebuilt for the second time in a few months. Expensive lesson!

Rinse/clean your reg under pressure.

cheers,
m
Thanks. How do you manage FW rinses while switching tanks on a boat...do you just squirt it with a water bottle or something? I am thinking of getting a pony bottle for trips, so I can rinse my stuff pressurized at the end of the day.

Please don’t do the burst of air. It’s noisy as heck and I always think someone has a leak when I hear it. Use a towel or something similar.
I hate it too–so loud! But it's tough sometimes with a towel when everything's damp from the humidity.

Thanks. How do you manage FW rinses while switching tanks on a boat...do you just squirt it with a water bottle or something? I am thinking of getting a pony bottle for trips, so I can rinse my stuff pressurized at the end of the day.

We carry a water bottle. We don't use much water. I use my tongue to gauge lack of salt. I travel with pony bottles. Large ponies are more difficult to travel with on airliners. A pony you have is better than a pony that remains home because it is a PITA. I use a transfill whip to fill the pony at my destination. Getting your pony filled at your destination can be another PITA.

Training and practicing with a pony is a must in order to use one safely u/w.

cheers,
m

We carry a water bottle. We don't use much water. I use my tongue to gauge lack of salt. I travel with pony bottles. Large ponies are more difficult to travel with on airliners. A pony you have is better than a pony that remains home because it is a PITA. I use a transfill whip to fill the pony at my destination. Getting your pony filled at your destination can be another PITA.

Training and practicing with a pony is a must in order to use one safely u/w.

cheers,
m

So the dialog with the crew goes sorta like: "Don't touch my gear.. I'm going to lick it before making any changes" ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom