Dive boat staff = wet dust cap on Atomic Aquatics reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't get the nobody touches my dive gear thing. I am going to double check everything prior to the dive anyway. Worst thing that has happened to me is they didn't route my inflator hose through the bungie of my BC. After I got through with them, it never happened again (just kidding). I can understand when people do not leave regs/computers with an op to rinse overnight.

I don't get the nobody touches my dive gear thing. I am going to double check everything prior to the dive anyway. Worst thing that has happened to me is they didn't route my inflator hose through the bungie of my BC. After I got through with them, it never happened again (just kidding). I can understand when people do not leave regs/computers with an op to rinse overnight.

I’ve watched people let second stages/mouthpieces dangle on the deck of boats, tighten down the first stage to the tank like they were tightening a wheel on a passenger vehicle, etc.

If I wanted other people touching my dive gear, I’d use rental equipment.

This scene comes to mind.:rofl3:

I made my 2499th dive yesterday. The number of times I have rinsed or dried my dust cap is zero.
I only have 1972 dives. I switch my tank over all the time without putting the dust cap back on. At the end of the day, I put the dust cap back on, rinse the reg in fresh water, and repeat.

I'm in the "don't touch my gear" camp. Now I don't do liveaboards nor concierge boats either so at least I don't have to beat the crew off with a stick. But I would if I had to.

With that said I don't cover the reg nor rinse it when switching tanks. There is no need. I do thoroughly rinse at the end of each diving day. I dive DIN regs and use a screw-on cap. I keep the cap in my reg bag and dry. It isn't attached to my reg and therefore doesn't go in the water with me.

I’ve watched people let second stages/mouthpieces dangle on the deck of boats, tighten down the first stage to the tank like they were tightening a wheel on a passenger vehicle, etc.

If I wanted other people touching my dive gear, I’d use rental equipment.

This scene comes to mind.:rofl3:

Some people will tip extra for that kind of service

Well, it's sorta like that first child, those of you that know what I mean....theres an incredible amount of pampering going on, tears are shed etc. By the time a few more come rolling out, they gotta scream bloody murder for the slightest bit of attention :surrender:

I have no idea why the dive staff would be putting the dust cap on when switching tanks unless there is a significant time delay in between. I would expect them to put the cap on if the dive day was done and breaking down gear. A short blast of air is SOP with the blast in the appropriate direction. But then again I am in the camp of thanks I got it because I pack my gear so to easily transport back to my room.

As for rinsing, during the dive trip I rarely rinse gear unless there is a easy to use dunk tank. And might just skip it depending on the water quality. At the end of the trip every gets cursory fresh water dunk with the BCD flushed out. Once at home everything gets a long (1-2 hour) soak and rinse. Regs are dried with the dust cap off. They are stored with the dust caps off.

As for rinsing AA regs. I tend to soak the second stage in and first stage out and above the second stage. Then swap.

Back
Top Bottom