Dive boat down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionfish-eater

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like all are safe. Maybe a loose clamp on an exhaust port or some other thru hull cock.
Tourist yacht sinks

COZUMEL, May 20 -. Completely sinks a boat for tourists diving board at Punta Sur. By the time the cause of the sinking is unknown, and although the vessel is approximately 35 feet deep, will be taken to the surface to avoid contamination by oil that might leak into the sea, the passengers and crew just spent the scare, all are fine.
Around 13 hours, people connected to the services of nautical tourism, filtered it up to the ecological park of Punta Sur, had they raised the sinking of a boat named "Albatros Charters" with tourists on board, which personnel of the Navy was the rescue of the crew and visitors.
regard, Alfonso Rodríguez Loaiza, harbor master reported that afternoon at 12:40 hours the report received by radio on channel 16 VHF marine band captain of the vessel "Old Iron", informing them that the vessel "Albatross" had sunk completely in the Punta Sur (without giving coordinates.)
The vessel "Albatross" was in command under Captain Rafael Moo, who along with it numbered three crew members, and two tourists from not announced the sex or nationality, and that all these people aboard the sunken ship were safe and were transshipped to the motorboat " Real Music "that was nearby.
The Port gave notice to the staff of the Naval Station Search and Rescue Cozumel (Ensar), which sent staff to the Navy aboard a boat type "Defender" support in which they had to perform.
said the sunken vessel is a yacht with enrollment 2304022214-7, Caterpillar diesel engine type 520 horsepower each, registered to "Albatros Charters, SA de CV "certified maritime security force until October 7, 2014, which was providing the service of diving.
At the Naval Sector Cozumel was announced that the sunken vessel was 42 feet long (12.8 meters) for 12 feet wide (3.6 meters) and was registered to the company "Cozumel Snorkel and Sunset" and the owner only identified as Rita.
Rodríguez Loaiza said by Tuesday afternoon, nothing else know that the "Albatros "I was performing a diving activity time of the accident, without reason or real motive for sinking is known, and will be until the captain of the ship approaching to submit its report, when known what happened.
denied having knowledge how far from shore the boat was at the time of sinking, only he was giving a service of diving, which is not known what the reef is near the point of collapse and whether to go for the seabed if it was deposited on a reef or sand, it is not known of any dumping of oil into the sea, although staff the Navy and worked to rule that there is any fluid fuel.
At the Naval Sector reported that boat was 35 meters to the sea, although some data indicated that was 100 meters, however, marine, considered the actual depth is 35 meters.
Similarly noted that tourists and crew were transferred to the Puerto de Abrigo "Sandy Bank", at your request, mostly because the "Albatross" was on guard in the natural sea.
Meanwhile the harbor master, considers two factors which must be taken off the boat afloat, one because their tanks containing fuel and should not be in the bottom of the sea to avoid any contamination, the other is because it believes that its engines are expensive, and with a washed and lubricated again be operating.
officer himself, thinks it is subject another reality, that the breaking of a valve or something unforeseen was what caused the collapse.
Something similar is what we say in the Marine Sector, where the assumption is that there was a break in the exhaust of the jet engine, causing it began to take on water in the boat.
For now, in the Port the minutes of the accident by the captain of the boat waiting for "us to see what had caused it, what responsibility, what documents have to To get a fine if any, and if not, see if it was exactly an accident caused by nature, "Rodríguez Loaiza settled.
Sector In Naval reported that the location of the dive shop "Albatros Charters" is located on the Avenue Rafael E. Melgar south between 5 and 7, although store employees in the area denied knowing his location, and you do not see any site with the logo of the business at that point.

Stuff happens. At least no one died.

Ah the "knowledge" of SB and reliance on the local "journalistic" rags and the poor translations of online translating programs which take things even MORE out of context.

This was NOT a Dive boat, it was a fishing boat and belongs to a very well respected member of our professional community. Her boats are maintained with diligence.

All crew and customers (FISHING) are safe and were rescued promptly. Details are still unknown as to the cause of the sinking and most likely will not be known until the boat is brought up (being done as I type this) and as damages and causes are assessed. The boat went down in approximately 100feet of water in the area of Maracaibo.

They DID dive to locate the boat, but they were not diving when the boat when down - it was a fishing charter. The boat was difficult to locate at first because there was no oil slick or leakage - but it was located about 4pm yesterday sitting in 120ft of water by divers.

This was not a case of poor maintenance or overloading. The picture the local paper has posted is from one of the Sunet tours she offers. This boat has capacity for 25 passengers + 3 crew by the way!

Please avoid speculation - there's nothing to hide and no cover ups - but this is someone's livelihood that just went down - so let's be compassionate and considerate please - I'll post accurate FACTS as I get them straight from the owner of the boat.

EDIT - UPDATE 2:00pm: Just off the phone with the owner of the boat.

There were 2 customers + 3 crew on the boat. They were rescued within 5 minutes b another fishing boat and later met up and transferred over to the navy boat to bring them to shore - this was due to prompt action and mayday calls from the crew. According to reports from the crew and customers, there was a loud bang, the crew opened up the compartment in the floor and the boat was taking on water faster than they could bail it out or that the bilge could keep up with. Again, they will not know the exact cause until the boat is brought up, damage assessed and accident investigated.

It has been confirmed that there are no gas or oil leaks.

There are currently about 14 divers, including technical divers, salvage divers, safety divers as well as surface support securing the boat with lines and preparing with lift bags, etc.

They were very lucky that the boat went down and hit bottom about 30 feet from the edge of the wall or it would have gone into the abyss.

Kudos to our local community - many people have stepped up to assist with the salvage and other help by donating lift bags, tanks, rope, hooks, other supplies, manpower, food, etc.

Please keep the salvage team, crew and owners in your prayers! It's a tough day for all of them!

Last edited:
This was not a case of poor maintenance or overloading.

I'll post accurate FACTS as I get them straight from the owner of the boat.

Please do. I mean, boats just don't sink...but Cozumel has a pretty good safety record for when this type of accident does happen.

I'm glad everyone is safe.

new dive site?

Word at caleta is that the boat is a little longer than originally built, ie modified some time ago by adding a piece in the middle. For what it is worth.

It was a nice boat. Missus did a snorkel booze cruise on it. Saw the rescue boat flying down there today again.

Word at caleta is that the boat is a little longer than originally built, ie modified some time ago by adding a piece in the middle. For what it is worth.

It was a nice boat. Missus did a snorkel booze cruise on it. Saw the rescue boat flying down there today again.

Is adding a piece in the middle nautically a better procedure than lenghtening by adding to the front or back?

Look at this "stuff happens" event:

SEE IT: Brand-new $10 million yacht capsizes as it's being delivered to owner - NY Daily News

My money is on negative buoyancy.

Is that the same thing as too much of the sea was inside the boat instead of outside the boat? I think I read somewhere statistically more boats sink at the dock than at sea.

I never have to worry about over-loading with my boat since it only fits one.

fat+guy+on+sinking+boat.jpg

Even IF true - what does this have to do with anything?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom