Ditching the poodle jacket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in b/c I just purchased a very similar setup.

Oxycheq Mach V Camouflage
Oxycheq Deluxe Adjustable Harness System
Oxycheq Plate Pad with Lift Bag Pocket
Oxycheq Small Weight Pocket - Pair
Oxycheq Light Weight Single Tank Adaptor
Oxycheq Sausage Weight Pocket
Oxycheq SS Travel Backplate
Assembly Screws, Plastic, Set of TWO (3)
Assembly Screws, Stainless Steel, Set of TWO
Apollo Bio Tank Lock (2)

Hope you enjoy your setup can't wait to receive mine now.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Since my request to stay on topic, there have been nine off-topic posts and major portions of others off-topic.
The Pub exists for your off-topic pleasure. Please use it.
This thread is closed.
Rick

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reopening at OPs request - please stay on topic.

Last edited:
Ok, it's very late here in the UK so I'll keep this brief.

1. PLEASE respect Rick's post. This thread is re-opened at his discretion and if we wander off (too soon :D) it'll be closed immediately. So chill. No attacks, no politics.

2. My kit arrived today. I know I know. It's hard to believe. It's finally here.

3. I've some comments, questions and photos. I'll not do the photos tonight as it's bedtime and my wife thought the photos of me in a work suit with the rig and fire extinguisher on (I don't have a tank) just made me look weird.
3a. The Oxycheq comfort harness works just fine with the Freedom plate. In fact, it was ten times easier to rig up that I could imagine. So far so really really good.
3b. I'm having a little trouble rigging up the front quick release belt. If anyone has any links out there about rigging this, please do post.
3c. Thanks for all your earlier really useful input. I did have the crotch strap so tight that I was considering a new career as a castrato in the local choir. However, re-reading some posts here and I've loosened it so that I can squat and still need to consider a vasectomy at a later date.

Ok - will post into here tomorrow with some photos. The kit looks BEAUTIFUL. Feels BEAUTIFUL. I cannot wait to dive it.

Cheers everyone,

J

Oh, man... That's fantastic.

Rick: Thanks for re-opening the thread. :) You rock. :)

I'm seriously excited for you, J... And can't wait to see photos. I'm really interested in how the "comfort harness" hooked up with the Freedom plate. I'm looking forward to photographs.

For what it's worth, I don't think that any of us would have thought it weird to see you wearing the rig in a work suit with a fire extinguisher on it... LOL... I think we can all relate. Sure, it might be irrational behavior, but we all relate... New scuba gear is about as cool as it gets. :)

By "having trouble with the quick release belt," I assume that you're speaking of installing the buckle. I don't have a photo, but if you were looking head-on at a diver wearing the buckle, the RIGHT (diver's left) belt threads OVER the first bit of metal and DOWN (towards the diver's pelvis) through the first slot. It then alternates back up and through the second slot, then down through the third. It then folds back and up through the FIRST slot so that the excess strap sits behind the belt. Leave a foot or more of webbing (you can cut it later after you're all adjusted) and secure with inner tube twice. One of these inner tubes will always stay at the end of the excess strap (closest to your left D-ring) and the second (closer to the buckle) will be used to secure the excess strap from the OTHER side of the belt when you're wearing the rig.

Note that the buckle should NOT sit in the center of the rig - the crotch strap can and will interfere with the operation of the buckle, and can even catch the buckle and open it up unexpectedly. The buckle should instead sit on the diver's RIGHT hip - making both sides of the belt part of the harness equally too long. (If the buckle sits in the center, then the rig's buckle side is shorter than the non-buckle side - this is incorrect.)

I hope that makes sense.

The belt should be comfortably snug when you're wearing the rig, and with the crotch strap connected, if you squat the crotch strap should just BARELY snug up... That is, you should never actually feel the crotch strap at all unless you squat down all the way - and even then, only barely. It will seem too loose by an inch or two when you're just standing if it's properly adjusted. You may want to shorten this later, but probably not by more than a centimeter or two. More on that later - that's an easy and quick adjustment.

I can't wait to see photos. :) Congratulations. :D

Good stuff :)

Glad to see this thread re-opened, I can't understand why it was closed. Why does it matter if we drift off topic a bit while we are waiting for your kit to arrive??? That's how normal conversations go.

Anyway...

If anyone has any links out there about rigging this [buckle], please do post.

J

Here's how I did mine.

DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

Go down to point 5. You can enlarge the pics to see better. Make sure you cut long at first! :wink:

Yep, agreed on what they ^^^^ say on the buckle weave. Cody Gardner's photos (that burna posted) are really good ones. Funny - since he was one of my GUE instructors circa 2004 or so, you'd have thought that I would have known where to find them... :) Oops. Duh. :) Thanks, burna!

Is that what you were looking for, J?

Congrats on getting your gear finally! I am eager to see how it goes together.

Thanks for the buckle threading tips - this will help.

Here's a few pix of my favourite new toy. It's not fully adjusted yet and I haven't chopped the excess webbing but you'll get the basic idea.

Quality of photos not great and so the detail might be a bit lack - taking in evening without flash (cos of glare from plate).

Let me know if there's anything obviously wrong with the setup, apart from the buckle, which I know currently is.

The rig took about 30 mins for me to hook up, and this was the first time I've rigged a harness so I was quite impressed how quick and easy it was. Seems very comfy - hoping this will translate to the water.

Cheers everyone - got to bathe kids and entertain friends now (much better than other way round :D), might post back later if I get a few mins spare.

J

Attachments

• P1020242.JPG
    P1020242.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 70
  • P1020246.JPG
    P1020246.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 69
  • P1020247.JPG
    P1020247.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 71
  • P1020250.JPG