Disturbing news ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is Sam's Club & the New Mega (similar to wal-mart,) but as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't take any of the charm away from the island or it's people

Mega's more like a Target (and has some of the same store brands, though Costco and Mega are owned by the same company, so they also have Costco's Kirkland brand). The Bodega Aurrera (next to Sam's) is actually owned by Wal-Mart.

For some thoughts on the whole "[insert new store or resource here] is going to ruin Cozumel" thing, check out this thread about the then-new Mega.

In terms of safety, the economic problems in the US and Mexico are not helping at all. I'm really not at all worried about being shot. I am being more careful when carrying bags now that my wife has been mugged on her scooter in our neighborhood and a similar incident just took place near the Chedraui recently. There are also reports of locals being robbed at machete-point lately. Despite this, I have to say that at the moment the island feels as safe as always. It's just not some problem-free utopia.

---------- Post Merged at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:25 PM ----------

I have been a regular in here for many years and I have not found the mods to be draconian. I have never known them to censor for content or to change the names of threads in order to put Cozumel in a more favorable light. I have seen them wade in to stop fights and edit out acrimonious exchanges, which is certainly within their rights, and which I support, by the way.

As someone who has been fairly gently redirected on occasion, I fully agree.

Ugggg. I hate Target... and I LOVE Mega.... I would say it is more like a Mexican SuperWalmart.
Psst: The baking soda is close to the front, in the personal hygiene section. :wink:

I have been a regular in here for many years and I have not found the mods to be draconian. I have never known them to censor for content or to change the names of threads in order to put Cozumel in a more favorable light. I have seen them wade in to stop fights and edit out acrimonious exchanges, which is certainly within their rights, and which I support, by the way.

This subform is well populated with fans of Cozumel and it's no surprise that they will rise to its defense when they perceive it to be maligned. They have the same right to voice their opinions as anyone else. Some folks can't seem to accept it that others disagree with them, and they sometimes claim that the "powers that be" on the forum throw their weight around to make the forum always paint Cozumel as utopian and that the "forum rules" proscribe criticism of anything concerning Cozumel. As I said, I have never personally witnessed anything like that.

So no, I don't demand notarized evidence, but I'd want to see something that is independently verifiable before I'd believe it.

I disagree. I witness repeated heavy handed editing of mole hills that are perceived to be mountainous in their importance. In my opinion there is no such thing as being off topic either. A discussion is a natural conversation, to edit it as if we are creating the next American novel borders on the absurd to me. I see far too much taking of trivial subjects and matters as if they were life saving or life changing information to be archived for the good of the human race. Moderators I suppose must moderate, much like everything looks like a nail when all you have is a hammer.

My off topic opinion.

As for what you want to see as independently verifiable, you can't see what has been deleted and no longer exists.

Psst: The baking soda is close to the front, in the personal hygiene section. :wink:

Found that... Where's Epsom salt?

I disagree. I witness repeated heavy handed editing of mole hills that are perceived to be mountainous in their importance. In my opinion there is no such thing as being off topic either. A discussion is a natural conversation, to edit it as if we are creating the next American novel borders on the absurd to me. I see far too much taking of trivial subjects and matters as if they were life saving or life changing information to be archived for the good of the human race. Moderators I suppose must moderate, much like everything looks like a nail when all you have is a hammer.

My off topic opinion.

As for what you want to see as independently verifiable, you can't see what has been deleted and no longer exists.

Yes... This is off topic. Your analysis is correct.

Me personally, having spent several years in home building, I know the difference between a nail, brad, screw, toggle, ball peen, sledge, lump, framing, and pneumatic (which I like to think of as a blow hard).

Yes... This is off topic. Your analysis is correct.

Me personally, having spent several years in home building, I know the difference between a nail, brad, screw, toggle, ball peen, sledge, lump, framing, and pneumatic (which I like to think of as a blow hard).

I think a sledge is the blow hard and the pneumatic is the blow hard who doesn't need a break between flaming statements.

Moderation is very inconsistent here. I've had posts deleted numerous times for being 'off topic' and yet if I mention something is off topic I'm told to shut up. It all depends on what the subjective megalomaniac feels like doing at the time.

Back to safety on coz. I really don't give any weight to the opinions of someone on the chamber of commerce. These groups exist solely for the promotion of commerce (nothing wrong with that). To think that these groups would be a trustworthy source of unbiased infortmation is niave at best. I've seen this over and over all of the world.

My off topic opinion.

You are absolutely correct. We disagree.

The best Howard post I ever read was something about verbally "b" slapping someone on the board if they needed it.

Being the site tech guru gets you more leeway. :)

Back
Top Bottom