Disturbing news ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By and large, Cozumel is still a very safe place but it does have a population of around 80,000+ people so it is going to have some crime. It's a great place to vacation but it's not Utopia. No place is.
I can see why she asked since she heard from a local that "the police chief and his wife were shot during a public speech that he, police chief was giving and that they died." The newspaper version is quite different.

I can see why she asked since she heard from a local that "the police chief and his wife were shot during a public speech that he, police chief was giving and that they died." The newspaper version is quite different.

Still, the paper also indicates two "high up" (whatever that means) drug dudes operated out of Cozumel and that the police chief was "removed' and some believe implicated in corruption. Basically it's a lot of unanswered questions that begs a full analysis of the current security state in Cozumel.

It's not productive to make generalizations like "everything is fine". It just smacks of cover up and conflict of interest from economic groups.

Cover up?

Geez, what place in the USA does not have murders? Or suicides?

Even the discussion here is not consistent on the underlying reason for the assumed correct murder/suicide scenario.

Regardless, it has ZERO impact on me going back to Cozumel. To prove that, someone can fund my next trip (soon) as a research project and I will go about my normal activities and document whether I have been impacted by this event.

Thank you for the replies and the Por Esto report tidbit. I suppose it's the rumor mill grinding out the gossip again. I'll have to share this version of the story with my mother in law. Sam's club on this thread?????

Not to be mean, but you and your mil made yourself part of that rumor mill. Why didn't you just call your husband and ask directly and see what his source was? Maybe he'd heard from a friend who heard from a friend...

"Shot himself in the neck to kill himself"

Yeah right.

Tons of law enforcement who are very experienced with guns, wounds, what a fatal shot is and isn't going to be, choose to shoot themselves in the neck to kill themselves. :shakehead:

Somebody shot them both, and the gal got 5 shots because the somebody was really pissed at her, if not drug related, was a jealous lover or something.

TIMTTS

Reminds me of the old joke of the mob boss who is declared a suicide victim, described as he committed suicide by shooting himself in the head 3 times.

I've waited to ask on any forums I visit about Cozumel, wondering if I would see this news story posted by someone, but enough time has passed that I am wondering if what I was told is a hoax or cruel joke cuz nothing is out there. My husband is a native of Cozumel. He called home yesterday to his parents, who live on the island and they chatted about "what's new" and etc. My mother-in-law said that the police chief and his wife were shot during a public speech that he, police chief was giving and that they died. My mother-in-law said that the shooter was aprehended and is now in the custody of the federal police. Now, my mother-in-law is not given to gossip, but I'm wondering why I haven't seen hide nor hair of this incident in the news or on any forums. Does anyone know about this?

My how stories become twisted and out of control.

It was a murder suicide in their home - there was no third party and it had nothing to do with the drug cartel or anyone else in that respect.

It happened several hours before the MAYOR's "Informe" - which is an annual state of the union address basically to inform the public of the current state of affairs in the administration. The police chief was not giving a speech and it did not happen in public or during that speech.

I am dating a guy that is an attorney for the City and he knew both of the victims. They had only been married for a couple of weeks. There was a significant age gap, the ex police chief (recently moved to internal affairs)was very jealous and possessive. The couple had a lovers quarrel that got out of control, as stated in another post.

Yes, this was a horrible event, one of the biggest in the local community - but it is absolutely no reason for tourists to be alarmed. Just like all other crime, petty theft, robberies, etc. - it is no different than what happens in practically every town and city all over the world. I can confidently say that Cozumel is STILL one of the safest places around, but like anywhere else, it is not Utopia!

PS: Those of you reading these articles - there is not a reliable source of information with any of the local papers - they are the worst at twisting stories to create more scandal and drama. HIs gunshot would was in the head.

Not to be mean, but you and your mil made yourself part of that rumor mill. Why didn't you just call your husband and ask directly and see what his source was? Maybe he'd heard from a friend who heard from a friend...
Read her post again. Her husband was with her, and he talked to his mom. And she didn't come here to spread gossip. She posted to ask if what she'd heard was true or a mistake.

Read her post again. Her husband was with her, and he talked to his mom. And she didn't come here to spread gossip. She posted to ask if what she'd heard was true or a mistake.

Ok, so instead of her husband telling her mil and her mil telling her, it was her mil telling her husband and her husband telling her. Still an extra thorn in the grapevine. People making threads asking about what they "heard" is often how rumors get started. So now some folks probably saw post #1 and haven't been back for the clarification, but are now out telling their friends about what they "heard".

Better to ask here than to ask where no one knows, or not ask. She had looked for news, but their news doesn't get around much.

Back
Top Bottom