Disturbing news ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, you cannot kill the thread. It is there to wander about and end up with favorite places to eat, stay, dive or watch baby turtles.

So where do you like to eat...??

Last edited:
I like to eat at La Perlita after happily watching baby turtles with Prop Joe.
Killing lionfish makes me happy, too. Went north with Angel and Dario yesterday, and Steve and I had fun killing many lionfish. Angel didn't put in his fish order until the second dive, so his bucket of fish wasn't nearly as big as it could have been...

What do you do for fun on Cozumel?
Do you like participating in a dogpile?

At El Piqué, I watched the local live news report of the murder-suicide. Francisco explained what was going on. All the staff was glued to the tv...

Watching baby Turtles makes me happy!
How about watching divers take baby barnacles off baby turtles?

---------- Post Merged at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:15 AM ----------

Lots of tourists come to DC every day. I wonder if they realize the FY2010 murder rate in DC was 21.9 per 100,000 people or that 108 people were murdered in DC last year?

I am pretty sure they don't realize that the violent crime rate was 1241.1 per 100,000 people including the 21.9 murder rate, 30.6 for forcible rape, 538.1 for aggravated assault and 650.5 for robbery.

That's 1.241 people out of every one hundred subject to reported violent crimes in a 1 year period of time.

I'm not sure how many are tourists by I suspect they are over represented - and that's not even counting the justifiable homicides and assaults where tourists were killed or thrown over the rail by the angry commuter mobs after deciding the best place to stop and figure out where they were going was at the top of an escalator in the metro during rush hour as the train was pulling into the station.

I suspect Coz is a lot safer than DC - and at least COZ does something constructive about corrupt politicians and public servants. In DC they just re-elect and re-appoint them.

Of course, since it's the US and we are familiar with the police, the justice system, etc, many people are comfortable with it - even to the point of ignoring it's considerable failings, while those same people are biased toward assuming MX is less safe - often just because it is different and the people don't speak English.

Me thinks people vastly over-rate the ramifications of a thread on scubaboard. So somebody asked a question about a murder, whippty-doo, get over it. The fear mongering associated with any thread with a word considered negative is ridiculous. Intelligent people weigh the good with the bad, a medium is only as powerful as the truthfulness of the information posted, fill this place with nothing but 100% rah-rah-rah is blatant and obvious propaganda and taken as so as people using it recognize it as so. Stop the ridiculous cries of censorship for somebody uttering anything that could be construed as not glorifying Cozumel. The moderation in this section is draconian already, repeated deletions of anything not 100% positive, re-wording of thread titles so God forbid a search engine doesn't pick up a title not painting Cozumel in heavenly lighting, now it's growing to demands of self-censoring? Some people take this stuff far, far too seriously.

I'm guessing Pete would be thrilled if scubaboard had the media clout to make or break tourism in Cozumel or anywhere else for that matter that some chicken littles seem to believe it has.

Me thinks people vastly over-rate the ramifications of a thread on scubaboard. So somebody asked a question about a murder, whippty-doo, get over it. The fear mongering associated with any thread with a word considered negative is ridiculous. Intelligent people weigh the good with the bad, a medium is only as powerful as the truthfulness of the information posted, fill this place with nothing but 100% rah-rah-rah is blatant and obvious propaganda and taken as so as people using it recognize it as so. Stop the ridiculous cries of censorship for somebody uttering anything that could be construed as not glorifying Cozumel. The moderation in this section is draconian already, repeated deletions of anything not 100% positive, re-wording of thread titles so God forbid a search engine doesn't pick up a title not painting Cozumel in heavenly lighting, now it's growing to demands of self-censoring? Some people take this stuff far, far too seriously.

I'm guessing Pete would be thrilled if scubaboard had the media clout to make or break tourism in Cozumel or anywhere else for that matter that some chicken littles seem to believe it has.
Thank God. I never even considered the ramifications of what I said.

OMG! If what you said is not true, then I may have single handedly killed the scuba tourism industry in DC!?!?!

No more happy sounds from contented dive tourists doing trash dives in the Anacostia in what passes for water. No adventure divers feeling around under the bridges over the Potomic for drug paraphernalia, discarded weapons and hot merchandise. No more tourists diving for crabs feasting in the heavy metal laden semi-toxic muck. What have I done?

The moderation in this section is draconian already, repeated deletions of anything not 100% positive, re-wording of thread titles so God forbid a search engine doesn't pick up a title not painting Cozumel in heavenly lighting...

I think that that is at the very least an overstatement. Can you substantiate it?

Cozumel is still very safe. I've been going there since 1996 and have never had any problems...and I DO get off the beaten path away from the "tourist" areas quite often.

Yes, there is Sam's Club & the New Mega (similar to wal-mart,) but as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't take any of the charm away from the island or it's people...besides I'm there mostly for the reef, that is what originally brought me there and they haven't figured out a way to put a Wal-Mart on it yet.

What determines your qualifications for a 'good place to go"? Don't let the hype get to you? Sure it's a little more touristy then it used to be, more cruise ships, but what do you expect? the island never to grow and develop?

The simple fact is, the standard for living on the island is better than it ever has been, the quality of food product is hands over fist better than a dozen years ago, the "tourist police" and triffice cops still don't cary weapons and the diving is still AMAZING!

Sure, there is stil poverty and that breeds crime, but overall, you are safer here than most major cities or tourist areas in the U.S.

One can't expect a place that is so popular to stay stagnent (sp?). The growth on the island has been benificial to both the local and the tourist...if you haven't been here in a while, come on down and see for yourself, don't let public opinion sway you.

I know, I should be on the Chamber of Commerce. :D

I think that that is at the very least an overstatement. Can you substantiate it?

I guess if I had to. Does it need to be notarized or would you accept un-notarized evidence?

I guess if I had to. Does it need to be notarized or would you accept un-notarized evidence?
I have been a regular in here for many years and I have not found the mods to be draconian. I have never known them to censor for content or to change the names of threads in order to put Cozumel in a more favorable light. I have seen them wade in to stop fights and edit out acrimonious exchanges, which is certainly within their rights, and which I support, by the way.

This subform is well populated with fans of Cozumel and it's no surprise that they will rise to its defense when they perceive it to be maligned. They have the same right to voice their opinions as anyone else. Some folks can't seem to accept it that others disagree with them, and they sometimes claim that the "powers that be" on the forum throw their weight around to make the forum always paint Cozumel as utopian and that the "forum rules" proscribe criticism of anything concerning Cozumel. As I said, I have never personally witnessed anything like that.

So no, I don't demand notarized evidence, but I'd want to see something that is independently verifiable before I'd believe it.

Back
Top Bottom