Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichLockyer:
Halcyon is not 100% DIR
It is possible to be 100% DIR without Halcyon

Has any one told JJ? :11:

QuoVadis:
It's funny...everytime you DIR folks post, you prove my point! Keep talkin'...

If this isn't the perfect example of trolling, I don't know what is...

You've yet to make a point, let alone one we can help you prove. People have bounced back with plenty of examples to the complete opposite of what you stated.

You're just not getting it. Of course if you really understood, you wouldn't be trolling.

PS: How come there isn't an ignore _____ feature?

boomx5:
I got rid of my Cobra because I didn't need it, not because my GUE instructors wouldn't let me use it.
I still dive my Mosquito, I just don't pay too much attention to anything except the depth and total dive time these days. I did buy a D3 while my Mosquito was in the shop and dive that when my wife and I dive together, as she only has a gauge mode computer. When my Mosquito dies again I'll just use the D3 until I can afford a Stinger. :eyebrow:

Ummm... I'm also hitting .666 in Rec League softball this season so far...
04.gif

Jimmie

P.S. Bob, save some of that Kool Aid for me, will ya? Especially if it's Grape!

novadiver:
I've read your resume and I'm not impressed.

This is about diving and diving only , go back home!

I can do deco by feel, that's the only computer that can do the calculations of this kind , walk away NOW your over your HEAD. learn before you post then come talk to me
Trey, is that you?!?!

Holy Cow... and you're saying DIR divers are arrogant?!? Pot, I'd Like you to meet Mr. Kettle.
icorolleyes.gif

Jimmie

QuoVadis:
Then someone was selling his COBRA because he was going DIR! WHAT??????? How crazy! It's a con to sell gear people!
Okay... I'll bite.

That's a little backwards. It's a con if I do something to get you to buy something from me.
This guy put his air-integrated computer up for sale, and was going to replace it with a brass SPG from Dive-Rite or Uwatech, and a bottom timer from either Suunto or Uwatech... maybe Cressi.

Halcyon doesn't stand to make a dime from that process unless he decides to buy the Halcyon SPG... which I don't care for, as I find it too small for my personal preference (oooo... nasty word in the DIR world).

It's not a con if you aren't profiting from it.

He sold his Cobra because he found out that there are better ways to manage your gas supply and bottom time that really are no harder, and are more reliable... we're always reading of someone complaining about their Cobra giving them the wrong gas supply information, and even screwing up on depth.

Of my own rig, the only gear that I've purchased from a Halcyon dealer is my Scout lights... because at the time I bought them, they were the best backup lights available, for several reasons.... for the very same reasons, there are now 3 or 4 different lights available that are suitable, and if my Scouts were to be stolen, I'd probably buy one of the others.
My lift bag WAS a Halcyon 80-pounder, but the closed-circuit bag isn't truly DIR, and I didn't like the way it worked anyways, so I bought a Carter.

Lessee... my gaiters were purchased on Ebay, and I don't use them anymore.
My primary light is a Halcyon, but I bought it on Ebay.
Backplate is Fred-T.
Wing is Oxycheq... original wing was a Halcyon, bought from one of the guys here... gave it to my buddy, along with my first plate... a LDS copy of the Halcyon design.

Oh ya... and I've got the Halcyon storage pack on my plate to hold my lift bag... again, nobody else makes one that works as well. If they did, I'd have bought it because it sure a hell would have been cheaper :)

A well thought out DIR rig can be assembled for less than half of what it would cost to buy a midrange conventional recreational rig.

1) the RGBM theory of diving differs from the Haldain theory in what ways?
RGBM strives to eliminate as much bubble formation as practical through deeper stops. Haldain theory bypasses deeper stops, allowing bubbles to form, and effectively treats this "accepted" level of DCS through extended shallow stops.
2) A dive profile to 140 fsw for 15 minute on air with a 2 minute safety stop at 10 feet is safe?
No. From a decompression standpoint, the very least (most liberal) would have a runtime of at least 30 minutes with more than 10 minutes at 15ft.
Decompression time is not the only reason that dive would be said to be "less than safe"
3) 1.6 ata ox toxes after how much time?
By the book or in reality? By the book, 45 minutes is accepted. In reality, anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. Factors include but are not limited to fatigue, workload and CO2 loading, temperature, drugs, backgas breaks, etc...
4) What's the deepest air dive posible?
How deep is the Mariannas trench? You didn't say that the dive had to be survivable... of course you'd need a tank pumped to over 17,000psi.
Nahh... I think a Newt Suit would be best suited for deep work like that :)
Realistically, air's limit is around 200-220ft for "acceptable risk" tox purposes (safer to stick to 180), if you're willing to be at less than 100% mentally.
DIR perspective, air is NEVER an acceptable gas for diving.
5)What dive org. teaches comprihensive dive history?
Got me on this one. They all cover some basic history.
6) what was the goat used for?
It's not considered ethical to bend and kill human subjects :)
My point is that if you follow a cult you will get the COOL AID
There are many "dir lemmings" around. They will generally be found on bulletin boards, and rarely on dive boats.
They are also frequently recent graduates of DIR-F, though the percentage of lemmings to intelligent DIR divers has dramatically improved since DIR-F has moved to a certification-level class.

MikeFerrara:
Has any one told JJ? :11:
George has made quite a few comments on Quest, and I'm sure to JJ in person.
Off the top of my head, I can only think of two items that he has spoken directly against. I mentioned one in this thread, the other is the ACB system.

It's harder to find an acceptable dive buddy once you've been made aware of the distinct difference in disciplines that make it great!

RichLockyer:
RGBM strives to eliminate as much bubble formation as practical through deeper stops. Haldain theory bypasses deeper stops, allowing bubbles to form, and effectively treats this "accepted" level of DCS through extended shallow stops.

No. From a decompression standpoint, the very least (most liberal) would have a runtime of at least 30 minutes with more than 10 minutes at 15ft.
Decompression time is not the only reason that dive would be said to be "less than safe"

By the book or in reality? By the book, 45 minutes is accepted. In reality, anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. Factors include but are not limited to fatigue, workload and CO2 loading, temperature, drugs, backgas breaks, etc...

How deep is the Mariannas trench? You didn't say that the dive had to be survivable... of course you'd need a tank pumped to over 17,000psi.
Nahh... I think a Newt Suit would be best suited for deep work like that :)
Realistically, air's limit is around 200-220ft for "acceptable risk" tox purposes (safer to stick to 180), if you're willing to be at less than 100% mentally.
DIR perspective, air is NEVER an acceptable gas for diving.

Got me on this one. They all cover some basic history.

It's not considered ethical to bend and kill human subjects :)

There are many "dir lemmings" around. They will generally be found on bulletin boards, and rarely on dive boats.
They are also frequently recent graduates of DIR-F, though the percentage of lemmings to intelligent DIR divers has dramatically improved since DIR-F has moved to a certification-level class.

That was close but not quite perfect, the only member of sb to answer these questions was Mikeferrarra in post 136 with response in post 143 .

I'm sure you will be suprised with these posts

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom