Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
I'm sure you will be suprised with these posts
Do you consider it a major blow to DIR that the only person who answered to your statisfaction claims not to be DIR?

QuoVadis:
One should not have to replace a PERFECTLY GOOD dive computer for ANY course, instruction, class etc.
IF you HAVE TO, you are being conned!!!
THEY WANT TO SELL EQUIPMENT...Can you not see that?

Hmmm ... I know a few folks who've sold their air-integrated computers, and most of them never took a DIR class. Who conned them, I wonder.

Sometimes people do what they do for reasons of simple practicality ... or because their diving evolves to the point where they decide a different piece of gear is more suitable. That's more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

And FWIW - when I took my DIR class, nobody asked me to remove my dive computer. So I'm really not sure how this is considered a con. For that matter, nobody even tried to sell me anything ... and I don't own a single piece of Halcyon gear. Go figure.

kalvyn:
P.S. Bob, save some of that Kool Aid for me, will ya? Especially if it's Grape!

It's Grape ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cornfed:
Do you consider it a major blow to DIR that the only person who answered to your statisfaction claims not to be DIR?

THis thread was about disadvantages of Dir and I wanted to piont out that a disadvantage to anything is a closed mind the diver who answered the questions was an instructor and that makes him a ringer anyway.

Carrot, stick,or Kool aid , you get to pick!!

orcatwiggy:
I have read every comment this thread that I started.

I think that I have figured it out...or at least come to a conclusion. It seems to me that the biggest problem with DIR is those who are not.

That's only considered a "problem" by those who believe that DIR is the only way to dive. Its not.

If I had to offer an opinion on what DIR's "biggest" problem is, based on this thread, I'd say its a general belief that DIR contains no disadvantages.

Everything in life has both advantages and disadvantages, from which we must decide how to access and conduct a trade-off. Diving is an activity, and it has risks. There are many ways to address and manage these risks, and the solution set that DIR has chosen is simply one approach...not the only one that will work, nor the only one at that risk level.

Its possible that the specific trade-offs that DIR makes are more acceptable to people, but that doesn't mean that there are literally zero disadvantages. Afterall, there is no such thing as a free lunch.

And with apologies to Uncle Pug, I respectfully disagree that DIR are "the best". Yes, maybe the best at one or two particular subsets of diving, but that doesn't encompass all of diving. Sure, the WKPP has taken several Platoon's worth of staff and equipment and been able to push 2 or 3 guys to the end of a string in a deep cave. Yet there's people out there right now who are doing stuff you're not likely to hear about that is equally or more impressive. For an open-literature example, there's some info on PJ's (parajumpers) in The Perfect Storm.

-hh

THis thread was about disadvantages of Dir and I wanted to piont out that a disadvantage to anything is a closed mind the diver who answered the questions was an instructor and that makes him a ringer anyway.

Carrot, stick,or Kool aid , you get to pick!!

Maybe others do not want to fuel a troll ... :D

It's summertime, time to wax the hairy troll ... Where are the mods ? :07:

novadiver:
THis thread was about disadvantages of Dir and I wanted to piont out that a disadvantage to anything is a closed mind
And your questions did that how?

cornfed:
And your questions did that how?

The answer to your question is in your signature!!

I'm going to take the rest of the day off SB to let my blood pressure calm down!!

Cornfed? Mindless lemming? WTF!!!!!!!

novadiver:
The answer to your question is in your signature!!
So now you've resorted to name calling to prove your point?! Sorry, but that only wins arguements on rec.scuba...

"Why is this thread allowed to continue?" you may be asking yourself.

Or you may be wondering why you have gotten a blister on your finger pushing the report post button to no avail.

Well... it's like this... I figure children need to squabble every once in a while or they will explode.

Yes, the DIR forum is a no trolling zone. But this thread was destined for squabbling... and as long as it is confined here and serves the purpose of occupying those of you with nothing better to do.. then I figure it at least keeps you off the streets and out of the bars.

Besides... with a thread title like "Disadvantages of DIR ?" how could it have turned out other wise (even though I believe the original poster's intent was pure.)

We all know that there are no disadvantages of DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom