Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring:
However, if you check "tough guy solo diver", "HFS", "knuckle dragging deep air advocate", or "80lb weightbelt CESA dropper", you better get Bill Gates to foot the bill for your insurance premiums.
:alert: You owe me one keyboard.

If there are no disadvantages to DIR, how come DIR divers get bent the same as non DIR divers. How come DIR divers drown. Im not bashing DIR. In fact i respect their accomplishments in diving. It seems as though the most hard core advocates say if you don't dive DIR then your gonna die. Well, back to my two questions above...Also not saying there are no disadvantages to other agencies OR the way i dive. I'm sure many of you could pick at my gear placement or other things.....JD

jaydee197:
If there are no disadvantages to DIR, how come DIR divers get bent the same as non DIR divers. How come DIR divers drown. Im not bashing DIR. In fact i respect their accomplishments in diving. It seems as though the most hard core advocates say if you don't dive DIR then your gonna die. Well, back to my two questions above...Also not saying there are no disadvantages to other agencies OR the way i dive. I'm sure many of you could pick at my gear placement or other things.....JD
I'll let UP speak for himself, but my answer to that would be "you can't beat statistics". If you do this long enough and deep enough, you will eventually get injured or someone close to you, i.e. on your team, will get injured. I think DIR provides the best set of tools, behaviors, and practices to avoid that, but that is only my opinion, which, incidentally, is worth exactly what you paid for it! :)

O-ring:
I'll let UP speak for himself, but my answer to that would be "you can't beat statistics". If you do this long enough and deep enough, you will eventually get injured or someone close to you, i.e. on your team, will get injured. I think DIR provides the best set of tools, behaviors, and practices to avoid that, but that is only my opinion, which, incidentally, is worth exactly what you paid for it! :)

i agree that the tools they provide you with are more than adequate. They are a great organization..But the system is not perfect or it would never evolve and the same protocol would be used forever for everything. It would stagnate.

jaydee197:
i agree that the tools they provide you with are more than adequate. The system is not perfect or it would never evolve and the same protocol would be used forever for everything. It would stagnate.
It does evolve and change though. Things have changed in every class I took. The system is in a constant state of refinement and change just so it doesn't stagnate. Anyone who has taken the classes will tell you they do, in fact, change.

O-ring:
It does evolve and change though. Things have changed in every class I took. The system is in a constant state of refinement and change just so it doesn't stagnate. Anyone who has taken the classes will tell you they do, in fact, change.

Thats what i am saying. It changes all the time. It has to because the older protocol always becomes outdated. There is always a better way to do something. If the system was perfect the way it was right now than 5 years from now the same protocol should still be used. I can bet this will not be the case. So then the system cant be perfect, it has flaws like everything else. I like what DIR is doing, however a blind statement to say that DIR is perfect makes no sense if you believe that DIR will evolve....JD..Oh yeah and that picture you have with the fishing for racoons cost me a cell phone...JD

O-ring:
Let's tell them that they go one at a time behind enemy lines, with their own preferred firearm, with their own preferred clothing and gear and that they are on their own if they get into trouble.

Oh, just for grins let's make them do it drunk too.

Wasn't clint eastwood in that?

OK, since this thread has been "super tangental" and special dispensation has been given to do so in this thread by UP, I have a question.

I've seen a lot of references to "being thrown under the bus", "being tossed under the bus", "checking the tires while under the bus", "seeing the drive shaft while under the bus", "changing the oil while under the bus", "being used as a speed bump under the bus", "peering out from under the bus", etc. I mostly see these references to "under the bus" in DIR threads and when they are in non-DIR threads they are usually made by a someone who is (or claims to be) DIR.

What is the meaning of this and what is its origin?

Let me say that I'm not yet completely "mindless" and I can figure out the gist of its meaning from its use. However, I thought that since I've decided to take DIR-F and subsequently "taste the Kool-Aid", that I should probably figure out what this means, before I too become a "mindless lemming". :wink:

Christian

P.S. All joking aside, it really is a legitimate question.

You'll find that, in the fundies class you are "throwing yourself under the bus" frequently as you see that the skills you thought you had nailed are really fairly inadequate. It's just an expression, and when it happens, it is usually in good humor. Go into the class with a good sense of humor and a humble attitude and you'll do fine. After everyone is done laughing at you, you'll move on to the next person and laugh at them.

Soggy:
You'll find that, in the fundies class you are "throwing yourself under the bus" frequently as you see that the skills you thought you had nailed are really fairly inadequate. It's just an expression, and when it happens, it is usually in good humor. Go into the class with a good sense of humor and a humble attitude and you'll do fine. After everyone is done laughing at you, you'll move on to the next person and laugh at them.
Thanks Soggy.

I'm actually pretty good at laughing at myself, so that should work out fine.

By the way, I moved my post out from under Cincy's to the end of the thread to get more answers.

I appreciate your answer.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom