Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaydee197:
Thats what i am saying. It changes all the time. It has to because the older protocol always becomes outdated. There is always a better way to do something. If the system was perfect the way it was right now than 5 years from now the same protocol should still be used. I can bet this will not be the case. So then the system cant be perfect, it has flaws like everything else. I like what DIR is doing, however a blind statement to say that DIR is perfect makes no sense if you believe that DIR will evolve....JD..Oh yeah and that picture you have with the fishing for racoons cost me a cell phone...JD
It's far from perfect...we have mentioned some disadvantages already. What other holistic diving system would you say is better suited for safe diving across most environments though? If there's a better one, I may switch, but I haven't even found another one to compare it to yet.

It really is hard to convince anyone who has not taken even a fundamentals course that GUE training is money well spent so I won't write to long a tale to attempt to do so. In fact writing this leaves me with the sneaking suspicion that I am about to get whacked by a troll any minute now. Oh well. I'll take a chance regardless.

Funny the Navy dude should say shut up and dive. The majority of the GUE trained divers out there do just that. Am I right in saying around 4500 or so? Remember they don't give away certifications...

In fact you would be surprised how many of the outspoken people on the internet and even on the GUE Quest list itself have yet to take or have failed their fundamentals course. Even more surprising is how many of these self proclaimed expert divers have fewer than 100 dives. Much fewer. These are the people that float in the equipment forums jumping on anything that doesn't make use of 2 inch nylon webbing (black preferably) while their post to dive ratios, as I like to call it, goes right off the deep end. Clue: If you get offended by this thought then you know who you are! :wink:

With regards to training time? It is an ongoing process. Not everyone can afford a 16 week intensive mixed gas training program that includes underwater combat, etc, but one of the greatest things about GUE certifications is that each time you finish a course you are left with the overwhelming awareness of just where you stand and just where you need to go to get to the next level in your diving. So you take a 5 or 6 day course that doesn’t leave you high and dry because you are left equipped with the skills and knowledge to better yourself for a long time afterwards. The mentoring attitude already present or instilled in GUE instructors leaves you with a valuable resource that is open to you indefinitely following your course. They really do believe in what they are teaching and their goal is to create competent, safe divers. I have ongoing correspondence with a few GUE instructors that are always there to answer a question or clarify my understanding on things when needed. You never walk away with the light bulb still dark.

One of the biggest perceived negatives is the equipment switch out. I can understand that. No one likes to be told that most if not everything they bought is wrong. To me this is the biggest false negative out there. It’s one of those things that you just have to try and see. Yes it may cost you a few dollars but it isn't crazy. Usally a bp/wing, set of fins and a few changes in hoses. It isn't horrible and at the end of the process you feel pretty good in the water. If buying this stuff isn't your think then skip the course. No biggie. Unfortunately a lot of new "DIR" divers are very passionate about the epiphany they just had and want to share it with the world. A lot of times this comes off as:

"You're gear sucks, mine rocks! You are a (PLACE AGENCY HERE) (PLACE S-Word Here) and I am king diver boy!"

Yah. It doesn't sell so well. I can't imagine why. Luckily most evenutally cool down but usually not before causeing some minor PR damage. Let's face it. People HATE unsolicited advice. People can't stand loudmouths who talk all day all night about how great GUE is and how the world will someday see the light and blah blah blah. Nothing turns someone off more than this. What is amazing is that if you actually shut up and dive people will eventually come to you for advice of their own accord. The right people. The ones that aren't happy where they are, or just want to try something different for the heck of it. They will see you, your gear, etc, and ask how and where.

Now don’t get me wrong when I say, “The right people.” What I mean is that GUE training is not some sort of mandatory thing or you are an unacceptable diver. Anyone who says that probably has a low friend and acquaintance count and it really isn't true. Most people are just fine in a stab jacket on a 30 foot reef in the sunny waters of Mexico or Bahamas. Why attack them. They are happy in a low risk situation checking out the fish, etc. To be quite honest it's one of my favorite places to be (minus the equipment of course). Unfortunately I am hardly ever there and the water here is cold, silty, green and murky. :)

Nor is there any truth to the myth that taking GUE training has to lead directly to tech diving, do not pass go do not collect $200! Lots of people take fundamentals and stay shallow no overhead recreational divers. Why is there anything wrong with this? These people will stay shallower that 100 feet or so and maybe even be those reef divers still enjoying the safe 30 foot reef but just in difference equipment with an upgraded appreciation of teamwork, gas management, and diver safety. How horrible is that? The nice bonus is that the basis of the gear is there to add on to and one doesn’t have to switch out their gear again to extend into tech diving. How cool is that?

Lets face it. The biggest false negative is the 10%ers on the internet that preach enough to put the average person off even looking at GUE training. I almost gave up on trying it because I thought, "Man! If these sneering psycho's are representative of the population then I don't want to go anywhere near there!"

I am very glad I stepped around the psychos with the signs and checked it out though. I really do believe I am a better, safer diver who has a lot more fun in the water than I used to because of it.

I have met a lot of likeminded divers out there as well who are members on this board that you never even once hear from. They are just out there diving and having fun with it as it should be.

Hopefully this hasn’t come off as babbling tripe and it’s useful to someone trying to get around the negatives and thinking about checking out GUE training. I know I don’t regret the choice.

Off to put on my anti-troll armour. :D

d33ps1x:
It really is hard to convince anyone who has not taken even a fundamentals course that GUE training is money well spent so I won't write to long a tale to attempt to do so. In fact writing this leaves me with the sneaking suspicion that I am about to get whacked by a troll any minute now. Oh well. I'll take a chance regardless.

Funny the Navy dude should say shut up and dive. The majority of the GUE trained divers out there do just that. Am I right in saying around 4500 or so? Remember they don't give away certifications...

In fact you would be surprised how many of the outspoken people on the internet and even on the GUE Quest list itself have yet to take or have failed their fundamentals course. Even more surprising is how many of these self proclaimed expert divers have fewer than 100 dives. Much fewer. These are the people that float in the equipment forums jumping on anything that doesn't make use of 2 inch nylon webbing (black preferably) while their post to dive ratios, as I like to call it, goes right off the deep end. Clue: If you get offended by this thought then you know who you are! :wink:

With regards to training time? It is an ongoing process. Not everyone can afford a 16 week intensive mixed gas training program that includes underwater combat, etc, but one of the greatest things about GUE certifications is that each time you finish a course you are left with the overwhelming awareness of just where you stand and just where you need to go to get to the next level in your diving. So you take a 5 or 6 day course that doesn’t leave you high and dry because you are left equipped with the skills and knowledge to better yourself for a long time afterwards. The mentoring attitude already present or instilled in GUE instructors leaves you with a valuable resource that is open to you indefinitely following your course. They really do believe in what they are teaching and their goal is to create competent, safe divers. I have ongoing correspondence with a few GUE instructors that are always there to answer a question or clarify my understanding on things when needed. You never walk away with the light bulb still dark.

One of the biggest perceived negatives is the equipment switch out. I can understand that. No one likes to be told that most if not everything they bought is wrong. To me this is the biggest false negative out there. It’s one of those things that you just have to try and see. Yes it may cost you a few dollars but it isn't crazy. Usally a bp/wing, set of fins and a few changes in hoses. It isn't horrible and at the end of the process you feel pretty good in the water. If buying this stuff isn't your think then skip the course. No biggie. Unfortunately a lot of new "DIR" divers are very passionate about the epiphany they just had and want to share it with the world. A lot of times this comes off as:

"You're gear sucks, mine rocks! You are a (PLACE AGENCY HERE) (PLACE S-Word Here) and I am king diver boy!"

Yah. It doesn't sell so well. I can't imagine why. Luckily most evenutally cool down but usually not before causeing some minor PR damage. Let's face it. People HATE unsolicited advice. People can't stand loudmouths who talk all day all night about how great GUE is and how the world will someday see the light and blah blah blah. Nothing turns someone off more than this. What is amazing is that if you actually shut up and dive people will eventually come to you for advice of their own accord. The right people. The ones that aren't happy where they are, or just want to try something different for the heck of it. They will see you, your gear, etc, and ask how and where.

Now don’t get me wrong when I say, “The right people.” What I mean is that GUE training is not some sort of mandatory thing or you are an unacceptable diver. Anyone who says that probably has a low friend and acquaintance count and it really isn't true. Most people are just fine in a stab jacket on a 30 foot reef in the sunny waters of Mexico or Bahamas. Why attack them. They are happy in a low risk situation checking out the fish, etc. To be quite honest it's one of my favorite places to be (minus the equipment of course). Unfortunately I am hardly ever there and the water here is cold, silty, green and murky. :)

Nor is there any truth to the myth that taking GUE training has to lead directly to tech diving, do not pass go do not collect $200! Lots of people take fundamentals and stay shallow no overhead recreational divers. Why is there anything wrong with this? These people will stay shallower that 100 feet or so and maybe even be those reef divers still enjoying the safe 30 foot reef but just in difference equipment with an upgraded appreciation of teamwork, gas management, and diver safety. How horrible is that? The nice bonus is that the basis of the gear is there to add on to and one doesn’t have to switch out their gear again to extend into tech diving. How cool is that?

Lets face it. The biggest false negative is the 10%ers on the internet that preach enough to put the average person off even looking at GUE training. I almost gave up on trying it because I thought, "Man! If these sneering psycho's are representative of the population then I don't want to go anywhere near there!"

I am very glad I stepped around the psychos with the signs and checked it out though. I really do believe I am a better, safer diver who has a lot more fun in the water than I used to because of it.

I have met a lot of likeminded divers out there as well who are members on this board that you never even once hear from. They are just out there diving and having fun with it as it should be.

Hopefully this hasn’t come off as babbling tripe and it’s useful to someone trying to get around the negatives and thinking about checking out GUE training. I know I don’t regret the choice.

Very well put.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Very well put.

Tobin
Agreed...granted, it was in Seajayish form, but still well put.. :wink:

d33ps1x:
Isn't that Seajayesque? :D
Whichever term is long would the be most appropriate.

d33ps1x:
It really is hard to convince anyone who has not taken even a fundamentals course that GUE training is money well spent <snip>

Very nice post. This is exactly how I feel about it. And I dunno if you can call me a mindless convert ... :D

novadiver:
That was close but not quite perfect, the only member of sb to answer these questions was Mikeferrarra in post 136 with response in post 143 .

I'm sure you will be suprised with these posts

Still waiting on your ZHL-16B implementation...

lamont:
Still waiting on your ZHL-16B implementation...
He's sorry, he thought that was your license plate number..

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom