Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe there are just lots of us who dive in a style that is reminiscent of DIR, without being DIR.

I call your attention to this shot from my 5th post cert dive, before I even heard what DIR was.............

So I dive, and am not necessarily DIR. I won't say I'm a "good" diver, but I don't believe I'm all that "bad" either.

FreeFloat:
Maybe there are just lots of us who dive in a style that is reminiscent of DIR, without being DIR.

I call your attention to this shot from my 5th post cert dive, before I even heard what DIR was.............

So I dive, and am not necessarily DIR. I won't say I'm a "good" diver, but I don't believe I'm all that "bad" either.

That doesn't look too close to DIR to me - is that octo clipped on? That just looks scary to me.

MikeFerrara:
That's good because I think they're trying to tell you that you're not.

Don't feel bad though. Wait til a couple of the lemmings get hold of you. It's really bad if they're the newly DIRFed kind. Rumor has it that I just got reported over on quest because I said something about decompression in the DIR forum here on Scuba Board. And just think, that lemming paid money to be able to do that. :eyebrow:

Feel free to add me to the list of the "non respected" because I can't see anything DIR has brought to the table that wasn't already here, but then I learned to dive with a horse collar and a weight belt.

If anyone knows of a single peace of gear ,please let me know.

technique and attitude go hand in hand in any industry.

Rest assured if I ever see a GUE DIR diver raise a grain of silt I will yell stroke as loud as I can. Just for the benifit of the rest of the dive world.

Does JJ know about the rep. his org. is getting? It doesn't seem like a good buisness practice to have your members alienate everyone in the industry.

MASS-Diver:
That doesn't look too close to DIR to me - is that octo clipped on? That just looks scary to me.
I should have pointed out - I'm not vertical, and I'm not flutter kicking. I was managing the flag float (that's what's in my hand) without struggling with buoyancy 'issues'.

At least, everything was clipped off - so although my recreational hose routing was a bit of a mess and I had my slates dangling (they wouldn't fit in the pockets of my "poodle" jacket). Yes my octo was attached to a D ring, as snug to my body as I could get it (not on the end of a pull-strap I mean)......

FreeFloat:
I should have pointed out - I'm not vertical, and I'm not flutter kicking. I was managing the flag float (that's what's in my hand) without struggling with buoyancy 'issues'.

At least, everything was clipped off - so although my recreational hose routing was a bit of a mess and I had my slates dangling (they wouldn't fit in the pockets of my "poodle" jacket). Yes my octo was attached to a D ring, as snug to my body as I could get it (not on the end of a pull-strap I mean)......

Not having a bungeed backup reg around your neck is about an non-DIR as you can get. I'm not trying to put you down or anything - but any octo (along with not donated from your mouth) is about as non-DIR as you can get.

I know. I wasn't saying I was born DIR. I wasn't DIR there and I am still not DIR.

I didn't even know about DIR back then.

My only point is that I wasn't a bumbling vertical CF. I didn't have to be DIR to be capable of diving.

Maybe it would have been better if I had walked into Open Water Class equipped with $2000 of shiny new Halcyon gear that had never been wet.

(frustration) I shouldn't have posted at all.

Disregard everything.

bwerb:
We need to bring back Karl in Kali/Indigo Blue and we could also ask Scuba442/SpongeBob/*
Thank you Bwerb.

Thank you very flipping much.

My nightmares had just subsided last week.

You just hosed that.

novadiver:
Feel free to add me to the list of the "non respected" ...

Don't take it personal. I'm one of you. LOL. However there are so many totaly stinky divers out there that the stigma rubs off. I have to admit that the divers with GUE training and I know a bunch exibit a much more consistant level of skill especially in a recreational setting. If you go to cave country it's a bit harder to stop them. Most cave divers with any experience are pretty good in the water. In OW it's reversed and few are any good at all and I say that as some one with no GUE training. They have put the bar up there.
because I can't see anything DIR has brought to the table that wasn't already here,

They didn't invent much. They have come up with some pretty neat dive planning simplifications though that are worth their weight in gold though.
If anyone knows of a single peace of gear ,please let me know.

No, most of the equipment configuration was there already and handed down by the old guard...guys like Bill Main and Bill Gavin. The first back plate was hammered out buy a guy who was at the time a student of Sheck Exley's...Greg Flanagan.
technique and attitude go hand in hand in any industry.

Rest assured if I ever see a GUE DIR diver raise a grain of silt I will yell stroke as loud as I can. Just for the benifit of the rest of the dive world.

I'll stay out of that one.
Does JJ know about the rep. his org. is getting? It doesn't seem like a good buisness practice to have your members alienate everyone in the industry.

This is a good question and I can't answer it. I can tell you that I was a Halcyon dealer and I've had several chances to talk to JJ on the phone and met him once in person. He seems like a knowledgeable, down to earth rather freindly guy.

There are a couple GUE instructors that I've spent a little time with...diving and eating and I'd say the same for them. There's another couple of GUE instructors that I've had a little contact with and they seemed ok too. The ones I've seen in the water were good and JJ is just flat out slick.

And then of course there are the lemmings. Pay no attention to them unless it's to teach them a freindly lesson.

novadiver:
Would every member of the team use the same deco
Yes.
or would it be exceptable to solo deco at differant stops
Solo is never acceptable for DIR except when donning the P-Valve.
and what if both divers had differant Fg in their tanks
Being DIR, they would not. They would be diving EAN32 or Tmix30/30 for "weenie" dives. For deco dives, depending on max planned depth, they would (all) be using 21/35, 18/45, 15/55, or 10/70. IIRC, there is also an 8% O2 mix used for the "no mercy" deco profiles. Deco and travel mixes would be similarly identical.

Interestingly enough, all of these standard mixes can be attained by priming an empty cylinder with the appropriate level of He and topping with EAN32, which allows a blender to bank EAN32 and handle all of his backgas, travel, and stage fills without having to deal with pure O2. O2 only need be dealt with for the 70 and 20ft bottles. The bank can be PP blended, or CF'd.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom