Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat:
mempilot, you can be the world's most put-together diver - trim and buoyancy nailed, streamlined kit and all that - but DIR is a Team sport, and if there's only one of you......... that's not DIR either.
Ok, I'll add to my question above. I use standardized gasses for the dives I do. I only dive with squared away divers. We dive the same gasses. It's a team endeavor. I hesitate to call it a sport. So we dive the same. Do I need to have taken the DIR-F and Tech 1 to be respected by your group of divers?

mempilot:
Do I need to have taken the DIR-F and Tech 1 to be respected by your group of divers?

I hope not ... :)

BTW the two most impressive divers I have ever seen in the water where not GUE trained ... (But were WKPP divers ... :D I think they are pretty much DIR ...).

Rubis:
I hope not ... :)

BTW the two most impressive divers I have ever seen in the water where not GUE trained ... (But where WKPP divers ... :D).
Now the WKPP requires GUE training for entry into the organization - specifically GUE cave 1 and GUE cave 2.

Rubis:
Well ... my point was DIR people are recognizable ... There are some definite patterns ...

Like you are on the boat, and watch them dive ... And usually you can tell. I am not saying it is 100% the case ...

It's like when you are at the airport catching a flight overseas ... You can tell who is american and who is not ... :D You could be wrong ... But 80% accurate just by the looks.

DIR divers usually look really good in the water :wink:
So, a squared away diver that looks really good in the water has to be DIR? I've had several people ask me if I'm DIR. I usually respond, "Do you mean, do I do it right? Sure, I do it right. But if you see something I can improve upon, let me know." I don't have to flash a GUE patch on my DUI to get that attention. But interestingly enough, while on a boat out Miami back in May, I was called a stroke by a couple of "DIR" divers. Oh, they didn't think I heard them, and they weren't really squared away either. And unfortuneatly, one was involved in a diving accident a few months ago. I totally agree with the philosophies taught and practiced by DIR, but I already follow them. I've read the DIR-F book, and didn't learn anything I hadn't already been practicing. I'll agree, 'most' DIR divers are better than 'most' non-DIR divers, but this is not an all inclusive statement and nor should it be for any of you. This is no attack, but merely an observation of human nature and labels.

mempilot:
So, a squared away diver that looks really good in the water has to be DIR? I've had several people ask me if I'm DIR. I usually respond, "Do you mean, do I do it right? Sure, I do it right. But if you see something I can improve upon, let me know." I don't have to flash a GUE patch on my DUI to get that attention. But interestingly enough, while on a boat out Miami back in May, I was called a stroke by a couple of "DIR" divers. Oh, they didn't think I heard them, and they weren't really squared away either. And unfortuneatly, one was involved in a diving accident a few months ago. I totally agree with the philosophies taught and practiced by DIR, but I already follow them. I've read the DIR-F book, and didn't learn anything I hadn't already been practicing. I'll agree, 'most' DIR divers are better than 'most' non-DIR divers, but this is not an all inclusive statement and nor should it be for any of you. This is no attack, but merely an observation of human nature and labels.
She totally did not say that.. Actually, I think what she said was more similar to what you said here:

I'll agree, 'most' DIR divers are better than 'most' non-DIR divers, but this is not an all inclusive statement and nor should it be for any of you.

Uncle Pug:
Why you do you want to be respected by DIR divers?

Don't let it bother you.... it isn't anything to be concerned about.
Oh, it doesn't bother me. I don't have the need to be respected by anyone. I'm not sure why there has to be a fence, but I didn't put it up either.

mempilot:
Ok, I'll add to my question above. I use standardized gasses for the dives I do. I only dive with squared away divers. We dive the same gasses. It's a team endeavor. I hesitate to call it a sport. So we dive the same. Do I need to have taken the DIR-F and Tech 1 to be respected by your group of divers?

Well let me see.....YES

O-ring:
Now the WKPP requires GUE training for entry into the organization - specifically GUE cave 1 and GUE cave 2.

I heard that...Like Christos...right?

oooothat was low. I'm almost wanting to take it back.

O-ring:
She totally did not say that.. Actually, I think what she said was more similar to what you said here:
OK. I'll accept that. I tend to evalute a diver on their demonstrated ability and never ask about which agency taught them. Many people dedicated to excellence tend to improve on their own without an instructor. They grasp the concepts and learn to improve on them. They transend a standard, which is really only a baseline anyway. Some of the best pilots I've flown with didn't come from the same training background I have. But they have incredible skill and were squared away. They are naturals. Maybe they were born with it while the rest of us just mimick it. ??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom