Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
OK. I'll accept that. I tend to evalute a diver on their demonstrated ability and never ask about which agency taught them. Many people dedicated to excellence tend to improve on their own without an instructor. They grasp the concepts and learn to improve on them. They transend a standard, which is really only a baseline anyway. Some of the best pilots I've flown with didn't come from the same training background I have. But they have incredible skill and were squared away. They are naturals. Maybe they were born with it while the rest of us just mimick it. ??
I have no problem with your statement whatsoever. A squared away diver is a squared away diver regardless of who trained them or which agency they came from.

MikeFerrara:
I heard that...Like Christos...right?

oooothat was low. I'm almost wanting to take it back.
Come on, Mike. I can't really respond to that since I don't know all the details.

mempilot:
So we dive the same. Do I need to have taken the DIR-F and Tech 1 to be respected by your group of divers?

The part I find most amusing is the "...your group of divers..."

Where, exactly, have I ever represented that I am DIR? Ever? Do a post history on me if you don't believe me........

Agreed, I have taken the DIR-F course...... but I didn't get a clear "pass". AFAIC that means I am not "there" therefore I am not "DIR".

So....... maybe we do "dive the same"

:D :D Highly amused :D :D

And you were getting agitated about others' perceptions.....

FreeFloat,

I wasn't indicating 'you' in the 'your group'. I quoted a post of yours and added the rest to address the DIR divers. I have no fight with anyone here. Just adding my comments to a thread that had gone awry and has come back with some intelligence and civility.

BTW, I'm not DIR, but agree with it. Just not 'some' of the attitudes.

FreeFloat:

Where, exactly, have I ever represented that I am DIR? Ever? Do a post history on me if you don't believe me........

Agreed, I have taken the DIR-F course...... but I didn't get a clear "pass". AFAIC that means I am not "there" therefore I am not "DIR".

:D :D Highly amused :D :D

And you were getting agitated about others' perceptions.....

O-ring:
She totally did not say that..

Exactly ...

I have dived with DIR and non DIR people ... My point was, only this, it is striking how they look good in the water.

As simple as that. Period. Don't speculate beyond, I do not intend to say anything else.

You guys really like to argue ... In France we would call you "enculeurs de mouches" ... :wink:

mempilot:
Oh, it doesn't bother me. I don't have the need to be respected by anyone.

That's good because I think they're trying to tell you that you're not.

Don't feel bad though. Wait til a couple of the lemmings get hold of you. It's really bad if they're the newly DIRFed kind. Rumor has it that I just got reported over on quest because I said something about decompression in the DIR forum here on Scuba Board. And just think, that lemming paid money to be able to do that. :eyebrow:

FreeFloat:

careful FF I have a camera ... :wink:

O-ring:
Come on, Mike. I can't really respond to that since I don't know all the details.

Don't respond It was a joke. My next one will be funnier I promise.

Rubis:
careful FF I have a camera ... :wink:
OH? Is that good or bad?

I should add that I'm not afraid of your camera as Dan M and Tom R's are much, much worse, especially in conjunction with a class. I should say that, but I'm afraid that if I did, I'd be inviting disaster............ :eek:

FreeFloat:

et tu, oh Floaty One ???

Funny ... a lot of my friends have been telling me for a long time that I had DIR skills. But when it came time to demonstrate them, I didn't ... therefore, I ain't.

But my DIR buddies still dive with me anyway ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom