Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
Hey cork girl...watch who you're accusing...but yeah...it's so I can stay submerged for about 6 seconds more than you...
Hmmm - let's see - took you 20 seconds from 70', that's... let's see.... a 210fpm ascent rate? Yeah - you better get the crampons :wink:. Hey - at least I took a whole 27 seconds.
And don't forget who managed to stop herself the SECOND time you guys corked - Alaska chicks don't need no stinkin' climbing gear - we just hang on the the Man Eating Barnacles :D

O-ring:
Isn't the military training like comparing apples to oranges?

Not when we consider the Diving Industry's historical genesis (and to which it might be argued that DIR is a form of revival thereof).

Granted, DIR may be one of the better training program's that’s easily available to the general public, but that's not everyone who dives, and an unqualified "Who’s da Bestest" claim extends beyond just public rec diving schools.

These guys don't care about trim and buoyancy, they care about staying alive and not showing up on enemy radar when they are sneaking into harbors to blow stuff up

You can't maximize your stealthiness without nailing your trim and buoyancy skills.

I also think, that if you look at military diving vs. DIR vs. "the others" you will probably notice more similarities between the military and DIR than you will with the patchwork of personal preference that characterizes the "others".

One of the manifestations of a movement away from homogeneous standardization and towards customization is the "Arms Room" concept. There's information available in the open literature that you can read up on.

For diving, you'll find in the open literature that the Bates 924s, UDT and Rocket fins in use at BUD/S, and that some Active elite diving units even include Force Fins in their tool boxes. There are good reasons for this "patchwork".

Why don't we ask the military guys if they think they should all be allowed to bring their own guns, packs, clothing, and supplies...

The answer to this question has also already been published in the open literature.

-hh

"Everyone who has ever held a rifle or pistol considers himself a small arms expert"
- Robert Udell.

...the same observation also applies to scuba diving.

I think the problem with any of these arguments/discussions is that there simply is no good way to compare DIR with any of the other options out there. DIR is a holistic system that encompasses much more than just a single class or set of classes and, as such, there is really no other similar system in diving. I don't think it's possible to compare so every time we try to do it we end up in a big dung flinging match.

GUE on the other hand, is readily comparable to classes offered by other agencies, but DIR transcends GUE and therefore is not readily comparable, IMHO.

O-ring:
I think the problem with any of these arguments/discussions is that there simply is no good way to compare DIR with any of the other options out there. DIR is a holistic system that encompasses much more than just a single class or set of classes and, as such, there is really no other similar system in diving. I don't think it's possible to compare so every time we try to do it we end up in a big dung flinging match.

GUE on the other hand, is readily comparable to classes offered by other agencies, but DIR transcends GUE and therefore is not readily comparable, IMHO.

How does Hargarthian and DIR differ in practice? both seem rooted in principal

novadiver:
How does Hargarthian and DIR differ in practice? both seem rooted in principal
IMHO, Hogarthian is more equipment oriented and mainly deals with gear rigging. DIR extends to skill practice, fitness, team based diving, etc. etc.

O-ring:
IMHO, Hogarthian is more equipment oriented and mainly deals with gear rigging. DIR extends to skill practice, fitness, team based diving, etc. etc.

Would every member of the team use the same deco profile or would it be exceptable to solo deco at differant stops and what if both divers had differant Fg in their tanks

Please forgive my feeble analogy to describe the difference between DIR and recreational diving based upon my experience, readings and understanding of both.

DIR is to recreational diving as Yabusame (the ancient Japanese Samurai archery discipline) is to taking archery lessons at Boy Scout Camp.

novadiver:
Would every member of the team use the same deco profile or would it be exceptable to solo deco at differant stops and what if both divers had differant Fg in their tanks
Yep, every member uses the same deco profile and standardized gases.

The Kracken:
Please forgive my feeble analogy to describe the difference between DIR and recreational diving based upon my experience, readings and understanding of both.

DIR is to recreational diving as Yabusame (the ancient Japanese Samurai archery discipline) is to taking archery lessons at Boy Scout Camp.
I appreciate the sarcasm...really, I do, but it isn't like that. DIR is a holistic system and recreational diving is a certification class and then, afterwards, you do whatever you want. There's nothing inherently wrong or right about either one, they are just different.

O-ring:
I appreciate the sarcasm...really, I do, but it isn't like that. DIR is a holistic system and recreational diving is a certification class and then, afterwards, you do whatever you want. There's nothing inherently wrong or right about either one, they are just different.

One good sarcasm deserves another?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom