Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Kracken:
Please forgive my feeble analogy to describe the difference between DIR and recreational diving based upon my experience, readings and understanding of both.

DIR is to recreational diving as Yabusame (the ancient Japanese Samurai archery discipline) is to taking archery lessons at Boy Scout Camp.

Nice comparison, however, one can dive recreational and still be DIR. So, I guess it would mean Yabusame archers could still be at the Boy Scout Camp, but those would be highly recognizable by their style and technique :D

awap:
One good sarcasm deserves another?
Sure, something like that.. :)

O-ring:
I appreciate the sarcasm...really, I do, but it isn't like that. DIR is a holistic system and recreational diving is a certification class and then, afterwards, you do whatever you want. There's nothing inherently wrong or right about either one, they are just different.

WARNING this is not the O-ring that we have been dealing with. this is an imposter. Were are you holding O-ring and when can we exspect his release? LOL

I wasn't being sarcastic.
Good take, Rubis . . .

The Kracken:
I wasn't being sarcastic.
Good take, Rubis . . .
Oh.. LOL. Kinda hard to tell with all the naysayers and contrarians in here.. :)

Rubis:
Nice comparison, however, one can dive recreational and still be DIR. So, I guess it would mean Yabusame archers could still be at the Boy Scout Camp, but those would be highly recognizable by their style and technique :D
Exactly.

You can tell DIR divers from other "certfied" divers pretty easily too..... and no I'm not talking about just the "backplates and long hoses". You can tell by the way they swim, communicate, etc.......... just a lot more "put-together" underwater.

Kind of a proficiency like you'd expect to see of elite samurai archers mixed in amongst BoyScouts.........

:D Did I mention I really like your analogy, Kracken? :D

FreeFloat:
Exactly.

You can tell DIR divers from other "certfied" divers pretty easily too..... and no I'm not talking about just the "backplates and long hoses". You can tell by the way they swim, communicate, etc.......... just a lot more "put-together" underwater.

Kind of a proficiency like you'd expect to see of elite samurai archers mixed in amongst BoyScouts.........

:D Did I mention I really like your analogy, Kracken? :D

Gee. I can't understand where the attitude of elitism comes from. Off to dive for 10 straight days vs talk about how good I look doing it...which I of course do. :D

d33ps1x:
Gee. I can't understand where the attitude of elitism comes from. Off to dive for 10 straight days vs talk about how good I look doing it...which I of course do. :D

There was no value judgement in my post. I was saying DIR divers are recognizable. There are very distinctive patterns. Streamlined equipment, right on trim and buoyancy and all black. Not to mention the unified team. Yeah, the samurai comparison is a nice one.
Thank you Kracken.

Rubis:
There was no value judgement in my post. I was saying DIR divers are recognizable. There are very distinctive patterns. Streamlined equipment, right on trim and buoyancy and all black. Not to mention the unified team. Yeah, the samurai comparison is a nice one.
Thank you Kracken.
Not an argument, but a question. Can a non-DIR diver have streamlined equipment, excellent buoyancy, and wear all black? Can they exhibit good buddy skills and wear all black? Can they stay fit, because they do it as part of their non-diving activities? Maybe I'm already DIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom