Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point, Mempilot.

mempilot:
Not an argument, but a question. Can a non-DIR diver have streamlined equipment, excellent buoyancy, and wear all black? Can they exhibit good buddy skills and wear all black? Can they stay fit, because they do it as part of their non-diving activities?

Yes, you can do these things.

Maybe I'm already DIR.

Not unless you also have standardized gasses, work as a team, are able to replan deco on the fly, calculate average depth, etc, etc....DIR is more than gear, buoyancy, and trim.

Soggy:
Yes, you can do these things.

Not unless you also have standardized gasses, work as a team, are able to replan deco on the fly, calculate average depth, etc, etc....DIR is more than gear, buoyancy, and trim.
My point exactly.

A lot of people think just because someone parades around on shore in a baackplate/wing and long hose with a shiny new canlight on their hip that they're DIR. That's not DIR.

Staying horizontal in the water while doing whatever (task loaded) - sure, that's part of DIR but it's not all DIR is.

good communication comes in many forms. I never said non-DIR divers don't have it. Do they move as a team, think as a team, hold the exact same stops at exactly the same times, breathe the same gases etc? If not, that's not DIR.

DIR is more of an entire encompassing system. Some people claim to take bits and pieces out of "DIR" that they like and neatly sidestep the parts they don't want to apply to themselves. That's not DIR. Call it Hogarthian if you like, but not DIR. A lot of peolpe get hung up on just one thing, be it gear config, finning style, etc, but that's not DIR.

mempilot, you can be the world's most put-together diver - trim and buoyancy nailed, streamlined kit and all that - but DIR is a Team sport, and if there's only one of you......... that's not DIR either.

d33ps1x:
So I guess you have a long way to go...
Don't you have a flight to catch or something? :wink:

Well ... my point was DIR people are recognizable ... There are some definite patterns ...

Like you are on the boat, and watch them dive ... And usually you can tell. I am not saying it is 100% the case ...

It's like when you are at the airport catching a flight overseas ... You can tell who is american and who is not ... :D You could be wrong ... But 80% accurate just by the looks.

DIR divers usually look really good in the water :wink:

Rubis:
There was no value judgement in my post. I was saying DIR divers are recognizable. There are very distinctive patterns. Streamlined equipment, right on trim and buoyancy and all black. Not to mention the unified team. Yeah, the samurai comparison is a nice one.
Thank you Kracken.

Now Dir divers are the samurai of diving? I thought the samuria were quiet, and had honor not to mention respect for there elders. Someones been watching to many kung fool reruns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom