Disadvantages of DIR ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring:
Let's try to salvage this thread a bit. Here is, IMHO, the biggest disadvantage of DIR - getting sucked into one countless dumb argument after another. It happens online, it happens on boats (ironically usually because some smartass remark by someone else initiates it), it happens at quarries by the silt fanners (instructors and students), etc. That, IMO, is the biggest disadvantage..

When DIR is be just "normal" this nonsense will stop. But then we will find another thing to argue on :wink:
Come on we would be all so bored ...

O-ring:
Let's try to salvage this thread a bit. Here is, IMHO, the biggest disadvantage of DIR - getting sucked into one countless dumb argument after another. It happens online, it happens on boats (ironically usually because some smartass remark by someone else initiates it), it happens at quarries by the silt fanners (instructors and students), etc. That, IMO, is the biggest disadvantage..

No way. I getted sucked into those arguements and I'm not even "DIR". I even got yelled at (big time yelled at) once for selling a guy a spool. Of course that was after it came unclipped and he strung line all over the cave. LOL

I solved the problem by giving my Hacyon hat to a mostly solo sidemount diver I know.

O-ring:
... (ironically usually because some smartass remark by someone else initiates it), it happens at quarries by the silt fanners (instructors and students), etc. T

This comming from the king of smartass remarks.

Viscya:
This comming from the king of smartass remarks.
Et tu, Strokus..

Viscya:
Your welcome.
You are one of the fun ones (like novadiver).. We can fight every now and then and keep each other sharp.. :)

orcatwiggy:
what would be some disadvantages to proceeding with DIR.
I may have a slight hearing loss from the people who whine about DIR.

I have not found a downside for the ocean, lake and river diving I do.

There are some things I change for aquarium diving.

QuoVadis:
You guys are proving my point. Just because I do not agree with you, you say it's a troll. Oh well....But I will explain my "CON" statement.
I did not know what DIR meant either. I wanted to find out more about it.
Punched it in GOOGLE and many articles came up. I read quite a few and you know what my first impression was (and still is) they sound like used car salesman!!!
Then someone was selling his COBRA because he was going DIR! WHAT??????? How crazy! It's a con to sell gear people!
Like I said....the concept is great but someone somewhere is seeing $$$ signs.
Nothing wrong with what you belive in........I would still dive with you DIR folks! Who knows...We all may learn something!
Nevertheless, QV, to suggest that a group (in this case, DIR divers) has been "conned" is utterly inaccurate. A dictionary definition gives "con" as: to take money or property from by fraud or deceit. No GUE instructor ever took money from me by fraud or deceit. I got what I paid for, and then some, in all my GUE classes to date. And when it comes to buying gear, I'll go out on a limb and speak for other DIR folks and suggest that none of them was "conned" into anything, including buying their gear. If what you say is accurate, then I better be calling the BBB to report some LDS's.

QuoVadis:
Then someone was selling his COBRA because he was going DIR! WHAT??????? How crazy! It's a con to sell gear people!
Like I said....the concept is great but someone somewhere is seeing $$$ signs.

Just found this gem....

How is it a con to sell gear when that Cobra owner probably sold his Cobra to buy a Vyper...both Suunto products. Or maybe he bought a Uwatec Bottom timer, also popular and equally unrelated to GUE/Halcyon. You can be DIR without owning a single piece of Halcyon gear, so that old argument is complete BS.

You clearly didn't read the "why" part....integrated consoles are not DIR for several reasons. They are big and bulky, thus not streamlined. Also, the left arm is dedicated to using a light, dumping air from the drysuit, and controling the BC inflator. This means that, during an ascent or descent, in order to keep track of your depth while adjusting buoyancy, you have to do all sorts of convoluted maneuvers to read the console, which is also on the left side. In DIR, the depth gauge/bottom timer goes on the right arm where it can be seen at all times, regardless of what you are doing. Makes sense, don't it?

ShakaZulu:
Love the DIR forum, drama, drama, drama.........you guys rule!!!!!!!

Dag gone...Nice Pic...

Are you a DIR diver? If so, I'll join the club.

Scratch that..I just saw your profile pic...My bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom