DIR, WKPP, GUE, and Halcyon Part 1 of 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me remind everyone that these instructors are at a major disadvantage here.

As professionals they are under a certain obligation of confidentiality and it would not be right for them to comment on certain specifics about this situation. That's too bad. I find it extremely unfair for someone to take a shot at them in a public forum knowing that their response must be muted. I, for one, have nothing but the highest regard for these fellas and will just ignore these accusations.

Often, in my business, I have to review complaints. Almost all of them come from way deep in left field. They're easy to spot...just look at the complaint itself...lots of incongruities and exaggerations.

For instance...three hours to memorize names...right! " Who gives a rip what my name is? " I think that it is important for an instructor to know the names of his/her students. I think that an instructor that takes the time to learn a student's name isn't likey to be an instructor that will then turn around and belittle that student. I'm pretty sure that these instructors know ALL about crotch straps. I'm pretty sure that flying all around the country teaching all that they teach in a limited amount of time isn't done without a plan.

Nope! I don't buy it.

SA

Stephen Ash once bubbled...
Let me remind everyone that these instructors are at a major disadvantage here.

As professionals they are under a certain obligation of confidentiality and it would not be right for them to comment on certain specifics about this situation.

Mike,

If you happen to see this, I have a question for you. I have 3 different crotchstraps. One narrow DiveRite, one 2" homemade with sewn front loop and attached at the back with an SS keeper and a D-ring for gear (seatbelt material is nice and soft, but slippery), and one halcyon 2". When I show up for a GUE class, which of the above would be unacceptable for use. Take it one step further, what kind of crotch strap would be so terrible that I'd be better doing the course without one?

Thanks
JohnF

pufferfish once bubbled...

Ghof can you elaborate on what angered you in the DIR-F course about the instruction? We often hear from the GUE instructors that the only people who criticize the GUE program are those who have not taken a GUE course which may be a valid observation. ....

Some of us have no choice to do anything but stand on the outside and look in and try to pick up bits of info as we go. I try not to criticize too much because I have picked up some gear configurations that like a lot, others I don't. For that reason I'm not allowed to even take the dir-f course. Oh well, I guess we both lose out on that one..

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

Some of us have no choice to do anything but stand on the outside and look in and try to pick up bits of info as we go. I try not to criticize too much because I have picked up some gear configurations that like a lot, others I don't. For that reason I'm not allowed to even take the dir-f course. Oh well, I guess we both lose out on that one..
Why can't you take DIR-F?

O-ring once bubbled...

Why can't you take DIR-F?

1. I don't use a bp/wings. I tried a couple of styles from a couple of different manufacturers and never found one I was comfortable with.

2.I also smoke and overweight by standard rule of thumb. I'll just pick up bits and pieces from my buddies that are dyed in the wool.

If MHK or any one else wants to rip my back side have at it. . Pufferfish asked why I had such a time. I am not a great writter capable of commiting to paper a feeling or set of emotions. As most of the people on this board have found the use of a comment or an idea taken out of context can be manipulated to mean many things (and usually is not what you intend). As you read the article try to get the concept, not a piece of it. I simply do not like MHK or AG. Whats the big deal? Who cares? The way I feel about these people has nothing to do with the respect I have for their knowledge.The content of the course outweighs the negatives. Call it a bad day or two. BTW it was 3 hours memorizing names with no work done. I have two complete backplate setups cut and fit to ME when the crotch strap was cut off it was too short . Had the fitting taken place at the dive shop (instead of memorizing names) not at Gilboa, the problem would have been solved. Most of the people I have met that know MHK and AG like them and if I am the only one in the whole wide world that doesn't then I am to blame not them.
PPPPPP!
GHOF

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

1. I don't use a bp/wings. I tried a couple of styles from a couple of different manufacturers and never found one I was comfortable with.

2.I also smoke and overweight by standard rule of thumb. I'll just pick up bits and pieces from my buddies that are dyed in the wool.

How about we leave the smoking and overweight issue out of this discussion as it is very contentious and tends to bring out the radical fringe and the worst in people. If you want some evidence just have a look at this thread. It is long and heated but covers some of these topics which can get real hot, real fast and are maybe best left at bay for now. :(

DIR-F, alternative courses, obesity, and smoking

ghof once bubbled...
I have two complete backplate setups cut and fit to ME when the crotch strap was cut off it was too short . Had the fitting taken place at the dive shop (instead of memorizing names) not at Gilboa, the problem would have been solved.

Did they explain why they removed your crotch strap? Many people here are curious why they did that.

Huh?!

The crotch strap was cut off to allow the BP to be adjusted to the ideals of DIR placement. I had sewed it on to fit me, it was not adjustable, it had to be cut off. Again had this been done at the shop it would have been a non issue.
PPPPPP = prior planning prevents pxxs poor performance
GHOF

ghof...

When did you take the DIR-F class, and who were some of your classmates...if you don't mind sharing

Back
Top Bottom