DIR, WKPP, GUE, and Halcyon Part 1 of 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an idea to ponder:

Find a niche, underdeveloped market. (scuba diving)

Make and distribute niche product(s). (Halcyon)

Sell niche product(s). (Extreme Exposure)

Create organization touting all-emcompassing philosophy incorporating product. (GUE)

Make philosophy (seem) the best through high profile activities and/or outspokenness. (WKPP, GI3, so on)

Own all three (Halcyon, EE, GUE [technically isn't "owned"]).

Regardless of your views, it's a damn good business model.

Ben

Diver0001 once bubbled...

Well,

The association is clear but I'll spell it out for you. George Irvine is as much "Mr. DIR" as JJ, PA, MHK or anyone else. What GI says reflects directly on the GUE due to the DIR/GUE/WKPP link. (two hands on one belly as the Dutch would say)

Let me see if I can offer some thoughts for consideration, and I suspect JJ will also add his thinking as well. Scuba forums have evolved over the years from their infancy when it was a good way to share diving protocols from one geographic location to another, and as a way for divers to interact that would otherwise have no resources. To that end, it has now evolved to the point where many have staked out a claim to a position and will argue, to the exclusion of logic and reason, irrespective of facts and/or experience. That applies to all sides on nearly every board that I frequent. This particular list has moved to the forefront of my favorite since absent a small few, most on this list are well-meaning and well-intended. However, many try to create a nexus for self-serving purposes. For example, George and JJ are both synonomous with creating, growing and implementing "DIR".. In that regard both have "ownership", such as the term applies to a concept. George is the head of the WKPP and regularly puts his life on the line doing dives that are well beyond the scope of anything 99.9% of the diving world will ever see. In his capacity of Director of the WKPP he runs a no nonsense team [ trust me I know first hand how pissed he gets when you make a mistake ;-)]. Moreover, in his capacity as Director he has advanced diving to obscene levels in terms of what is released to the general diving public. So in that regard, he regularly encounters divers that have no clue what he does, what the WKPP does, or why some of the industry protocols bear little resemblence to logic, but want to feverishly argue with George, WKPP protocols and concepts that are routinely accomplished at Wakulla week in and week out. So in his capacity of WKPP Director he takes no nonsense from his team members and takes even less from those that want to simply argue without information and posture on the internet. Take for example one exchange that stands out in my memory. An instructor from another technical agency was feverishly arguing with George about CNS toxicity and was telling George how stupid he was and that you could only spend 45 minutes at a PP02 of 1.6 and so on. This guy was telling George how he was going to die [ sound familiar??], how George was a moron and so forth, until George posted his profile from the week before showing how he exceeded the NOAA limits by some 10,000%.. In other words, there is a different way to approach the issue but this guy had no clue so assumed that George also had no clue and was acting reckless. In any event, George is self-employed, he is the head of the most widely successful exploartion teams in scuba history and he jointly created the DIR concept with Jarrod Jablonski so he is in the position to represent himself and the WKPP as he see fits. If some get offended by his comments I suspect you'll find that if you e-mail George privately or ask him a direct question you'll get a courteous reply. If you want to publicly challenge and argue with him I suspect you'll get treated accordingly. He has no problem answering questions, but after 10 years of answering every question imaginable it gets old having some newly minted "tech" diver or "cave" diver telling George he has no clue what he is doing because it says so in some training manual.

Jarrod on the other hand was/is a dive educator by profession and chose a different path. Jarrod chose to use his "ownership" of the concept and create a training agency around that concept. When Jarrod speaks he speaks on behalf of the agency he created, GUE.. When George speaks he speaks on behalf of the project that he is the Director of, WKPP.. While I grant that there is an overlap and a commonality of shared diving beliefs, the point is that JJ has just as much right to censor George as he does the man in the moon. George is a self-made man, he works in a family business, heads the WKPP and has no ownership in GUE, Halcyon and/or Extreme Exposure.. Accordingly, JJ has no ability to control how George represents his projects or his image. The red-herring is that unless JJ can control George then there is a tacit endorsement of his conduct..

From my personal perspective George and I didn't see eye to eye initially until I took the time to take a step back and realize that he's seen things and done things that I hadn't even contemplated doing. I took the time to meet him, and he was very gracious, and since we've formed a friendship, we dove many, many times together, I joined the WKPP and I've learned a ton from him, in fact we'll be together next week in Seattle where George will, once again, donate his time to fly around the country to speak to his diving protocols.. The point being is that the nexus that some are trying to create, in my view, is a red-herring.. But I totally respect your right to have an alternative point of view and I'm not sure how fruitful it will be trying to have added exchanges to try to change some minds that have long ago been made up..

Hope that helps..

Atticus once bubbled...

Perhaps if GUE were to "come out of the cave" and publicly distance themselves from GI it would help.

I think it would be a sad day if GUE distanced themselves from one of the people who contributed to the formalization of the DIR system.

Karen

OneBrightGator once bubbled... Just an idea to ponder:

Find a niche, underdeveloped market. (scuba diving)

Make and distribute niche product(s). (Halcyon)

Sell niche product(s). (Extreme Exposure)

Create organization touting all-emcompassing philosophy incorporating product. (GUE)

Make philosophy (seem) the best through high profile activities and/or outspokenness. (WKPP, GI3, so on)

Own all three (Halcyon, EE, GUE [technically isn't "owned"]).

Regardless of your views, it's a damn good business model.

Ben
I see it more as the fast track to Chapter 7.

1- SCUBA equipment is anything but an underserved market.

2- Why aren't there Halcyon drysuits and regulators? They seem to just make things with few or no follow-up sales.

3- Extreme Exposure isn't exactly a high speed marketing machine. There are eBay merchants with better cash flow. Order something the local dealer doesn't have in stock and see how long it takes to get your item. I waited about a month to get a wing/BP/harness package.

4- GUE doesn't require any particular manufacturer's product.

5- WKPP and GI3 predate GUE. That would have to be the ESP school of marketing.

6. If the other statements aren't true, owning GUE, Halcyon, and EE won't do you any good.

You might want to make up something else. That's the worst business model I have seen this week.

Again, I have to say:

This is where I have to draw the line in the sand. Let's make one thing perfectly clear. George has earned the right, through his diving, to have and express his opinions about DIVING.

George has NOT earned the right, and, IN FACT NO ONE HAS, to say the savage, foul, and obnoxious things that George has said in print in public forums. The comments that he has made have caused extreme distress and emotional harm to friends and relatives of people who have died. His vicious commentary exceeds all of the bounds of normal and polite society. His complete lack of regard for others, and the standards of society can only be described as sociopathic.

He can be quite pleasant when one meets him in person, and his speeches about diving are both reasonable and instructive. Even his friends decry, however, his Jekyll and Hyde nature when it comes to an internet keyboard.

Whatever his reasons may be, his viciousness transforms his commentary into "hate speech" no different in nature than that spewing from the mouths of Neo-N***s and Ku Klux Klan members, and hate speech is something that we are trying desperately to stamp out in our society!!!

So, at a guess, in reference to the original beginnings of this thread, the ruckus stems not from the more reasoned and lucid advocates (such as JJ himself) of one style or another, but from those more radical in their approach!

Again, I STILL look forward to hearing more from JJ on the background and evolution of what we call DIR today!
:box:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
So, at a guess, in reference to the original beginnings of this thread, the ruckus stems not from the more reasoned and lucid advocates (such as JJ himself) of one style or another, but from those more radical in their approach!

That's it.

I think the DIR commandos are actually worse than George.

Of course this all draws a bunch of people who love a fight and will take whatever side they need to in order to produce one.

...and here we are.

OneBrightGator,

I agree. JJ himself said in his post he had no desire to make gear but did because he wanted to have equiptment that meshed with DIR training and philosophy. He made a market for himself. True, there is nothing in the Fundamentals book that states, "You have to dive Halcyon gear our you are not DIR." But, the text if chuck full of references to "failure points" and other flaws in different makes of gear. And then, (surprise, surprise) offers Halcyon's designs and functionality and a safety and better alternative.

Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong at all with this stuff. GUE and Halcyon are a success story in an industry where there are very few. Marriage of gear and dive training is pretty smart, wish I would of thought of it.

But, here's what I can't understand (from Extreem Exposure):

"The Halcyon V-Weight

Extreme Exposure is proud to announce the first professionally manufactured V-weight, available from Halcyon. This unique weighting system has been employed by explorers for years, yet the inconvenient nature of its construction has made it all but unavailable in any retail form...."

They sell it for $69. I picked up the same hunk of lead from my LDS made by Arrow weights, $19.95. :confused:

John

I have written JJ a private e-mail in the past. I was not nice to him. To this day I do not like much of what he does, his attitudes or bussiness practices. JJ replied to me and was completely gracious. I also have his books and I read everything I can find that he prints.I do not have to like the man to be able to learn from him.I believe this man is sincere.
With that said, I have taken a DIR-F class from MHK, AG, and DM at Gilboa. I was totally angered by the attitudes of MHK and AG. Even this anger towards them does not limit me from reading/learning what they have to say. I do not agree with the instructors in all regards about DIR. BUT I would like to be able to do what they can do! I cannot and never will be able to. I follow DIR as closely as I possibly can. I use some Halcyon gear because it does what it advertises it will. (I also did not pay MSRP either.)
G3 is one very intelligent man. If you insist on argueing with him be RIGHT, and right does not mean quoting from X agency. He already knows it. You better pick up the pace, dig deeper into your brain because he is way ahead of you. I don't like his attitude either, I do ,however,truly understand why he does it his way. Can you imagine the fallout if some of his WKKP divers die? He simply cannot afford the luxury of being "politically correct". I have written him and he has kindly answered any question I asked . I told him I only want to learn.
GHOF,
AKA,
Mike

ghof once bubbled...

Snipped

With that said, I have taken a DIR-F class from MHK, AG, and DM at Gilboa. I was totally angered by the attitudes of MHK and AG. Even this anger towards them does not limit me from reading/learning what they have to say. I do not agree with the instructors in all regards about DIR.

Snipped

GHOF,
AKA,
Mike

Ghof can you elaborate on what angered you in the DIR-F course about the instruction? We often hear from the GUE instructors that the only people who criticize the GUE program are those who have not taken a GUE course which may be a valid observation. I know four divers who have considered taking the DIR-F course but after reading many of the vitriolic posts from what may be a very vocal but minority 'fringe' DIR group they are looking at other possibilities.

What I would be curious to know is whether this 'attitude' that many find distasteful and really does represent a PR problem for GUE comes from the instruction or does the agency only attract this radical element to its fold? If it is the latter this is a shame as GUE really does have a lot to offer divers, but because of the radical fringe, those who are moderates and seek the 'truth' in their diving get turned off and sit on the sidelines, or head to other more inclusive instructors.

Whats the big deal..why argue about this..sure you all have diffearant opinions on this..but really who cares? Just go dive! have fun and stay safe!

maybe I am missing something, and If I am please tell me!

peace

Tommy

Back
Top Bottom