DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not that big. Everyone acknowledges this.

There are no dive shops that currently teach DIR-F classes in most of the country. That's why the instructors travel to areas like yours.

What's your point?

RonFrank:
The fact is she has dived for 30+ years, is in a field surrounded by world class marine biologists, respected captains, crews, marine engineers, aquaculture expertes, and professional divers, lives in Ft. Pierce, FL, currently dives, and has never heard of DIR.

I certainly would have never heard of DIR had I not found this board. She is very busy, and I know does not spend much time surfing or on boards.

But if someone who is surrounded by professional divers on a regular basis has not heard of DIR, then can it be that big? Maybe they don't mention it?

Seems like one has to go looking for it, as I have not been in ONE diveshop in the Denver area that teaches a DIR-F class. I have not looked either other than to ask when I was checking out LDS's.

But she certainly knew exactly what PADI, NAUI, SSI, YMCA, etc., was.

Ron

Nomaster:
I think he does at times show restraint, perhaps it's merely that he is experimenting with the difference between blunt and abrasive. He claims not to want to be abusive, so perhaps he will soon learn that he can be strident without being wearing or even wearying.
It could happen, I see the potential.

I suggest that we differ on some definitions.

I find it wearying when people fail to grasp basic logic.
I find it abusive when people stray off the point onto the person.
I DON'T subscribe to the PC notion that the only way to not be abusive is to have everything dripping in validation and affirmation syrup.

novadiver:
Thank you nwgratefull diver.
I feel our private meeting was both productive and insightfull.You were absolutly right on all points,and I look forward to being an asset to scubaboard.

Is it just me, or does this sound suspiciously like a Soviet dissident upon release from a re-education camp?

And people wonder what causes conspiracy theories.

dweeb:
Is it just me, or does this sound suspiciously like a Soviet dissident upon release from a re-education camp?

And people wonder what causes conspiracy theories.

Or perhaps he's just saying thanks for helping him resolve an issue that, frankly, is none of your business.

Is it just me, or does your response sound suspiciously like yet another attempt to incite someone?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Keysdrifter454:
Dweeb is one of my closest friends.

Because he's smarter than most, which aggravates the masses ever further.

Heap it on with a front end loader all you want.
I'm STILL not going to the prom with you.

No problem. The IANTD, PADI , etc reference had to do with the size of their respective organizations.

Kim:
Maybe I misunderstood your post 431 but it seemed to suggest that IANTD was one of the agencies that had lesser standards to GUE. If that is not what you meant - then I apologise.

RonFrank:
The fact is she has dived for 30+ years, is in a field surrounded by world class marine biologists, respected captains, crews, marine engineers, aquaculture expertes, and professional divers, lives in Ft. Pierce, FL, currently dives, and has never heard of DIR.

I certainly would have never heard of DIR had I not found this board. She is very busy, and I know does not spend much time surfing or on boards.

But if someone who is surrounded by professional divers on a regular basis has not heard of DIR, then can it be that big? Maybe they don't mention it?

Seems like one has to go looking for it, as I have not been in ONE diveshop in the Denver area that teaches a DIR-F class. I have not looked either other than to ask when I was checking out LDS's.

But she certainly knew exactly what PADI, NAUI, SSI, YMCA, etc., was.

Ron

So...according to you, big = quality and experience = skill. Hmmm....

PhotoTJ:
If he were smarter than most, he'd realize he's going to really hack off some nut job one day with his dry concise assesments.

Been there, done that.
Had a guy twice my size, waving his finger in my face and asking if I wanted to "step outside, B***h?" The YMCA manager had already dialed 9-1, and had her finger over the 1 button. She nevere had to press it. Ten minutes later he was shaking my hand and apologizing, and no one had done anything to regret. Managing confrontation is a matter of leaving your ego out of it, just like poker.

Scuba:
If dweebs comments are out of line here, my question is: how bland is this board going to become?

It could always become like Skin Diver magazine, :)

Scuba:
I hope your comments reflect a moment of overzelousness, or a personal opinion. I hope they do not reflect the general concensus of the owner and operators of this board. I've seen moderators get in heated discussions and throw a few mud pies themselves.

NetDoc himself called me a jerk once, in the same post where he admonished people to "leave personalities out of it." It's good to be the king.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom