DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
I guess my question is, what were your requirements for trim and buoyancy during the skills? Did you always have a hard bottom or were you required to do the skills midwater, where they would most likely occur, such as during a gas switch?
As I said - a lot was to do with being close to the bottom - as in an overhead environment without disturbing the silt. However it was also required mid-water - horizontal trim - anywhere we were told to stop.

Kim:
As I said - a lot was to do with being close to the bottom - as in an overhead environment without disturbing the silt. However it was also required mid-water - horizontal trim - anywhere we were told to stop.

Were you videoed? Did you have a chance to see yourself to determine if you truly were horizontal? Not saying this is the case, but in my experience, most people's definition of good horizontal trim is close to 30 degrees off.

novadiver:
That's good now I can smoke my crack pipe in class.LOL
I am sure you can as long as the instructor isn't also law enforcement. You can also eat a large pizza, down some beers, and balance the empties on your enormous stomach. All of that is permitted in other agencies as far as I can tell. It's a bit odd though, IMHO, since Tom Mount is definitely in good shape and engages in all sorts of personal fitness endeavors including martial arts. I have no idea why he would tolerate slobism in his agency, but whatever floats his boat I guess.

Soggy:
Were you videoed? Did you have a chance to see yourself to determine if you truly were horizontal? Not saying this is the case, but in my experience, most people's definition of good horizontal trim is close to 30 degrees off.
No we weren't and I'd actually like to see that. All I can truthfully say now though is that if I want to look behind me I just have to lower my head and look down the front of my body - I can see everything at my depth or below. I don't like people who swim behind and above me - it makes me lose trim to find them!

O-ring:
I am sure you can as long as the instructor isn't also law enforcement. You can also eat a large pizza, down some beers, and balance the empties on your enormous stomach. All of that is permitted in other agencies as far as I can tell. It's a bit odd though, IMHO, since Tom Mount is definitely in good shape and engages in all sorts of personal fitness endeavors including martial arts. I have no idea why he would tolerate slobism in his agency, but whatever floats his boat I guess.

O-ring It's good to see you still have a sense of humor. I've changed my ways and I'm now a "kinder gentler NOVA" So flame the other agencies all you want. The bottom line is that " it's not the agency, It's the diver that proves the ability" and some divers just plain SUCK, and no agency in the world is going to change that!

How was the Northern , any plans on the Moonstone?

novadiver:
O-ring It's good to see you still have a sense of humor. I've changed my ways and I'm now a "kinder gentler NOVA" So flame the other agencies all you want. The bottom line is that " it's not the agency, It's the diver that proves the ability" and some divers just plain SUCK, and no agency in the world is going to change that!

How was the Northern , any plans on the Moonstone?
:) Yeah, we have to keep our sense of humor.. Actually, I posted in that old thread when we got back. The Northern Pacific was great! I actually plan to get out more with the SI next season for sure.

Keysdrifter454:
I'm having a little difficulty with your leap of logic here.

The fact is she has dived for 30+ years, is in a field surrounded by world class marine biologists, respected captains, crews, marine engineers, aquaculture expertes, and professional divers, lives in Ft. Pierce, FL, currently dives, and has never heard of DIR.

I certainly would have never heard of DIR had I not found this board. She is very busy, and I know does not spend much time surfing or on boards.

But if someone who is surrounded by professional divers on a regular basis has not heard of DIR, then can it be that big? Maybe they don't mention it?

Seems like one has to go looking for it, as I have not been in ONE diveshop in the Denver area that teaches a DIR-F class. I have not looked either other than to ask when I was checking out LDS's.

But she certainly knew exactly what PADI, NAUI, SSI, YMCA, etc., was.

Ron

Nomaster:
Or they just don't want to hijack the thread.
Maybe we need an "Issues" thread.

There are at least half a dozen conversations in this thread now.
Give people credit for being able to walk and chew gum at the same time

RonFrank:
The fact is she has dived for 30+ years, is in a field surrounded by world class marine biologists, respected captains, crews, marine engineers, aquaculture expertes, and professional divers, lives in Ft. Pierce, FL, currently dives, and has never heard of DIR.

I certainly would have never heard of DIR had I not found this board. She is very busy, and I know does not spend much time surfing or on boards.

But if someone who is surrounded by professional divers on a regular basis has not heard of DIR, then can it be that big? Maybe they don't mention it?

Seems like one has to go looking for it, as I have not been in ONE diveshop in the Denver area that teaches a DIR-F class. I have not looked either other than to ask when I was checking out LDS's.

But she certainly knew exactly what PADI, NAUI, SSI, YMCA, etc., was.

Ron

They knew, they just won't admit it. The trick around these parts is to teach a simular type of course and tell potential candidates why take a DIR-F course when I can teach one that you'll pass

Back
Top Bottom