DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess my question is, what were your requirements for trim and buoyancy during the skills? Did you always have a hard bottom or were you required to do the skills midwater, where they would most likely occur, such as during a gas switch?

Kim:
EANx Overhead Environment. IANTD.
Bouyancy: Already posted - 5 minutes 1 ft off the bottom with no discernable hand or fin movement. Repeated at any given depth holding depth to within +/- 1 ft.
Fin kicks: Frog kick, Dolphin kick, Modified Frog/Dolphin/Flutter. Helicopter turn.
Gas management - rule of thirds.
S-Drills. OOA drills including breath hold swim to donating buddy.
Valve shutdowns/drills
Line laying - Ist person/2nd person
Team responsibilities - 1st/2nd/3rd person
Line swimming - without mask/without mask sharing air/without mask 15 meters breath hold
Lift bag deployment
SAC determination
Non visual buddy signs

That covers most of it - unfortunately my wife has had two babies since we did the course so we haven't had a lot of time to practice some of it. She's diving again now so hopefully that will change. I would actually really like to do DIR/F as a refresher but as a smoker that isn't allowed. We'll probably go back to IANTD and continue from there

Kim:
unfortunately my wife has had two babies since we did the course so we haven't had a lot of time to practice some of it.
Unless the kids look like the milkman you're also to blame for that.

Does the term DIR bother people? As we have seen - yes.

Is it one of the best marketing/advertising ploys that this industry has seen? Absolutely!!!!!

GUE couldn't pay for this kind of advertising. It's marketing genius. DIR and GUE could be a very obscure little organization that dwells in caves. Instead they now have a lot of people talking about them and other organizations wishing they had this sort of exposure. Marketing 101 tells you that there is no such thing as bad media exposure. Well done GI3 and JJ! You have almost as many people saying DIR as folks said "Where's The Beef?" :wink:

detroit diver:
Hold it. Don't put words in my mouth. Where did I ever say that what you learned was not good?
Maybe I misunderstood your post 431 but it seemed to suggest that IANTD was one of the agencies that had lesser standards to GUE. If that is not what you meant - then I apologise.

Kim:
Maybe I misunderstood your post 431 but it seemed to suggest that IANTD was one of the agencies that had lesser standards to GUE. If that is not what you meant - then I apologise.
Nope, I said it. Here it is again - IANTD has lower standards than GUE.

Soggy:
I guess my question is, what were your requirements for trim and buoyancy during the skills? Did you always have a hard bottom or were you required to do the skills midwater, where they would most likely occur, such as during a gas switch?

I'm sure the overhead course covers this indepth. at least mine did. This may come as a suprise , but perfect buoancy isn't that hard.

cornfed:
Unless the kids look like the milkman you're also to blame for that.
:D Of course! Still - the oldest is 4 next week and already wants to go diving! :wink: It's my way of building up the team!!

O-ring:
Nope, I said it. Here it is again - IANTD has lower standards than GUE.
Well I'm sure that you are entitled to your opinion - as I am to mine. I actually don't really think too much about the agency standards - I learn from an instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom