DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keysdrifter454:
Maybe you could chalk it out for me?

How does a marine biologist working in DSRVs and underwater habitats become and indicator of the industry wide recognition of a recreational (non-commercial) dive entity?
Well - as someone who has been diving since the 70's surrounded by similar people in a professional capacity for the whole time - the fact that she has not heard of GUE/DIR at all would not support the premise of 'industry wide recognition'. Is that white enough?

novadiver:
I think the point is that the MODS want Scubaboard to be non confrontational to aviod confusion and let the thread develope into a intelligent conversation.

That's directly contrary to the cited incident.

Kim:
As I find that GUE/DIR concepts to be basically compatible with safe diving practice I have no problems with that. I am excluded as a smoker
I recently looked at the GUE release forms and didn't see anything about smoking.

Keysdrifter454:
Because by reading the course requirements, it's obvious to see that there is no comparable course in the dive industry.

Maybe you could find us one, as an example.
Example as to required skill set:
IANTD - EANx Overhead Environment (as taught by my instructor)
It's actually a bit more probably (took twice as long) but covers all of the listed stuff from DIR/F according to the fundies book (which I have)

cornfed:
I recently looked at the GUE release forms and didn't see anything about smoking.
I'll look into it........ but it is a pre-requisite as far as I know (i.e. non-smoker)

Kim:
Well - as someone who has been diving since the 70's surrounded by similar people in a professional capacity for the whole time - the fact that she has not heard of GUE/DIR at all would not support the premise of 'industry wide recognition'. Is that white enough?

The convenient interpretation for the shallow minded, sure.

The inference in itself that she's an experienced diver, rec or especially tech, is preposterous from the given information.

Translate that into a known, traveled board or newsgroup, english speaking, where DIR has never been discussed.

And get back to us.

Kim:
I'll look into it........ but it is a pre-requisite as far as I know (i.e. non-smoker)
I stand corrected. I was working off the liability and release forms (which make no mention of tabacco use) but it is listed as an exclusion in their standards.

Kim:
Example as to required skill set:
IANTD - EANx Overhead Environment (as taught by my instructor)
It's actually a bit more probably (took twice as long) but covers all of the listed stuff from DIR/F according to the fundies book (which I have)

The show us your IANTD course list, with comperable skill requirements.

Since your intructor doesn't teach -every- IANTD class, obviously, how he taught your particular class is laughably irrelevent.

Since DIR-F is a "Fundamentals" class (I'm sure you caught that) and your IANTD class is an advanced technical course (especially when taught by your crack instructor), your class should certainly be twice as long.

Here are the skills we had to perform in DIRF....

All skills were done mid-water column at 27 feet with a MOD of 30 ft. I think the bottom was around 60-70 ft, but I'm not sure. It was a cold, green quarry with very little ambient light and like 10 ft of vis at best. Skills needed to be performed within a 2-3 ft water column (up to so basically between 25-30 ft, with a target depth of 27 ft) and *always* within 20 degrees of horizontal trim (meaning *really horizontal*...like put you over a level platform and your body would be completely parallel to the platform).

We did the following drills:
  • Basic 5, which essentially consists of mask removals and modified S-drills
  • Frog kick, modified frog kick, modified flutter kick, backwards kick, helicopter turn
  • S-drills (OOA drills)
  • Valve drills
  • Bag deployment
  • ascent/descent drills from 40 ft with a 1 minute stop every 10 ft all the way up, and all the way back down.
  • combinations of the above skills, OOA with a bag deployment, etc

We had to demonstrate good team awareness and cooperation, stay in 'formation', help each other out, etc.

If your class did all of this and you were able to perform these skills, then you probably don't need DIRF. If not, you are just deluding yourself, offended by a name, and you do actually have something to learn from these people.

Keysdrifter454:
That's directly contrary to the cited incident.

Actually, it's not.

However, I have no desire to perpetuate a "debate" along the lines that you guys have in mine.

I have sent you a PM ... hope it helps clear up a few misconceptions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom