DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The folks at GUE don't really care if anyone is offended by the term "doing it right". They don't want to be a PADI, NAUI, IANTD size organization. They want people who wish to focus on the type of skills/ideas that they consider important. If someone can't get past the name, then so be it. They probably would not be a good candidate anyway. If you can't get past the name, how can you expect to learn new skills and ideas?

It's not for everyone. And that's the part that I think really grates on some people. To be told that you're excluded from a group that you might want to join can be very unsettling.

Kim:
Actually I agree with you. I think that most of the GUE stuff IS right - it certainly agrees with my IANTD training to a large extent. I am not saying that I can't live with it - I'm just saying that, as you say, it offends a group of people - to my mind for little gain (unless you adhere to UP's post that it acts as a sort of pre-weeder). If the idea is to promote better, safer diving practice then offending people before they start with simply a name seems to be adding 'another potential point of failure'.

detroit diver:
They don't want to be a PADI, NAUI, IANTD size organization.
If you believe that then you'd probably believe anything! GUE is an American organization right? Did they tell you that?!? :D

dweeb:
Teaching higher skills? Buddy of mine taught at the Army Chemical School. He didn't have to be any nicer than the instructors in basic.
Want to go higher still? Another friend went to nuke power school.
He had the same textbooks as I did as an engineering student at a private university. Calculus, DiffEQ, Physics, all the same material, and his instructors were all hard cases.

Sorry dweeb, still laughing my butt off here. Basic training and some of the hardcorps techniques that go with it works great for training grunts to do what grunts do.

Having gone through both, i'll stick to my experience that a DI screaming in my ear is not the best technique to use when working with something like Laplace transforms.

And, comparing a chem or nuke school instructor to a Basic DI? Gimme a break!

Detroit Diver -
I just checked your profile and while you list GUE and PADI as your training agencies you don't list which classes you have done. Have you ever done something else to compare DIR/F against? In particular a more advanced NAUI or IANTD overhead course? I'm not trying to be nasty - but if as I suspect you haven't - how can you compare them?

Kim:
It takes a little intelligence - I'm sure you could get it!

Maybe you could chalk it out for me?

How does a marine biologist working in DSRVs and underwater habitats become and indicator of the industry wide recognition of a recreational (non-commercial) dive entity?

novadiver:
Please don't help. I'm not that new. " educate yuorself"?

Then why are you asking Dweeb why he argues both sides, when there are more than two to argue?

And you're obviously new to the DIR movement.

So educate yourself.

The fastest way to shut up some shill claiming to be DIR is to be able to point out to his audience why he's not.

I do it all the time, and it's the highpoint of my diving day.

Then you don't have to drag all this anti-DIR baggage around.

Kim:
Detroit Diver -
I just checked your profile and while you list GUE and PADI as your training agencies you don't list which classes you have done. Have you ever done something else to compare DIR/F against? In particular a more advanced NAUI or IANTD overhead course? I'm not trying to be nasty - but if as I suspect you haven't - how can you compare them?

Because by reading the course requirements, it's obvious to see that there is no comparable course in the dive industry.

Maybe you could find us one, as an example.

Kim:
If you believe that then you'd probably believe anything! GUE is an American organization right? Did they tell you that?!? :D

Let me tell you a story about my GUE classes.

My first DIRF had 9 students in it. The class cost around $300 plus $30 GUE registration for each person. That means a total of $2700 went to the instructors and $270 went to GUE. In that class, we had Andrew Georgitsis, Mike Kane, Brandon Schwartz plus a GUE intern. They all paid for their own room, food, airline tickets (one from Amsterdam, one from Los Angeles, CA, one drove from Michigan, one flew from NC), etc.

How much money do you think each of these 4 people made off of our class?

My second DIRF class, was given, free of charge, to 6 of us from the original fundies class by Bob Sherwood, from Vestal, NY.

Real money grubbing people, ain't they?

Kim:
Detroit Diver -

Uh, have you ever taken a GUE course? If not, how can you compare the them? It works both ways....

Kim:
This statement describes part of the problem. This thread is NOT about what DIR is or how it evolves etc. It was a simple question about wether the name itself creates problems. Obviously it does - or we wouldn't have a thread this long by now. The answer to the original question therefore is simple - Yes, it's the name!!!

Let me chalk this one out for you.

The name isn't capable of causing a problem.

It's just a name.

Your emotional connotations and baggage that you apply to your interpretation of the name can cause (your) problems.

Lotsa baggage?

Lotsa problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom