DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay kids, settle down. Pot stir no more, insult no more or thread no more.

John...channeling the spirit of Yoda once again...:D

Now back to our sponsor....
DIR is a discription of an approach to one who is interested in bettering their skills. It does not suggest that one who declares this approach is a better diver than another, just that they are working to improve themselves. Yes it is a great marketing idea that has had an impact on the scuba industry, I wish I thought of it. It's suggestive conatation could make one feel offended or it could make one feel that perhaps with an honest look at themselves they need to improve their skills, it is a self challenge more than anything else. It is not about the card, it is not about the attitude, It is about the training and the skills. Even if you let your GUE card expire you would still have those skills as you would from any excellent quality instruction

Now are we all going to play nice or should we just close the thread?

bwerb:
John...channeling the spirit of Yoda once again...:D

LOL ... more like Chewbacca trying to imitate Yoda i believe. :wink:

gedunk:
LOL ... more like Chewbacca trying to imitate Yoda i believe. :wink:

Do or do not...there is no try!

Much more have you to learn...but enough for today...:D

Dan Gibson:
I'd like to give you one very simple example (I have many more stories) of something I saw that seems all to typical down there. Two cave divers get in the water. They are arguing the whole time, so it's already off to a bad start. When they discuss gas management. One diver looks down at his SPG and says I have 3300 psi, my turn pressure is 2200 psi. The other states, I have 2400 psi, my turn pressure is 1600 psi. Then they descend. What in heck is that? Each of them just looked at there own SPG and assumed 1/3 was usable. No one determined who had the least amount of gas in order to calculate what the usable 1/3 would be. I can assure you that either these guys had become so complacent, or their instructors failed them miserably. I can assure you they were not GUE trained.

I think the magnitude of their folly might be lost on many in this forum because most divers aren't taught gas matching. As far as I know all the cave agencies teach it though so unless those 2 divers really had a shlock instructor they don't have much of an excuse.

gedunk:
Okay kids, settle down. Pot stir no more, insult no more or thread no more.

I dare ya :wink:

Back
Top Bottom