DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
So...according to you, big = quality and experience = skill. Hmmm....

I certainly did not say this, or even imply it....

I have taken the time to read about DIR. While there many good things about the approach, the fact that there is ONE approach to gear setup, and that that DIR divers seem to hold themselves above others is rather strange, and in many cases comes across as holier than thou.

My cousin is the smartest person I know, has dived longer than many people here have been alive, and dives professionally. I'll take her advice over just about anyone when it comes to diving, the ocean, marine biology, physics, and just about any other subject surrounding diving including (ohmygod) DIR divers.

You DIR folk better get this chip off you shoulder. I was considering DIRF as it seems like a good program. However based on these types of responses, I am reconsidering. :god:

Ron

RonFrank:
You DIR folk better get this chip off you shoulder. I was considering DIRF as it seems like a good program. However based on these types of responses, I am reconsidering. :god:

Ron

Ron,
Perhaps a better idea is to go out dive with some DIR divers. I think the attitude that we see in this thread is perpetuated by a vocal and insecure minority. Most of us who choose to dive this way have done so after diving in other personally less satisfying ways. I've said this before of my own history: that for years I was a rec diver that didn't know any better. I always had fun and always came back safely but when I found out about DIR it opened up a new avenue to make me a better diver. Am I the perfect diver? Absolutely not and that is why I continue to better myself. DIR is a personal path that works for me (but I'll only tell you only if you ask.) It may not work for you or anyone else. The choice is yours...

I get worried about anyone who writes off a system/message/technique completely and is unwilling to do any further investigation themselves for validity due to the way in which it was communicated. If you can't use your own brain to investigate something which is presented to you and chose to more or less take the attitude of "I'm willing to listen to anyone except those guys who hurt my delicate sensitivities"...then I'm with UP...it's a great weeder.

So back in junior high school, this football player pushed me down.

Yea.. I don't watch football, they are all a bunch of loser bullies.

What they said ... dive with a real DIR diver before making up your mind.

Don't let what you read on the Internet influence your decision.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom