DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
, the lightcannon is a decent HID,[/ QUOTE]
i was using the princeton tech shockwave 2 and switched to the uk light cannon and it is alot better. and since i cannot afford a canister light i think the lightcannon is a decent hid. at least till i start doing caves and/or penetrating deep into wrecks.

Soggy:
Let me tell you a story about my GUE classes.

My first DIRF had 9 students in it. The class cost around $300 plus $30 GUE registration for each person. That means a total of $2700 went to the instructors and $270 went to GUE. In that class, we had Andrew Georgitsis, Mike Kane, Brandon Schwartz plus a GUE intern. They all paid for their own room, food, airline tickets (one from Amsterdam, one from Los Angeles, CA, one drove from Michigan, one flew from NC), etc.

How much money do you think each of these 4 people made off of our class?

My second DIRF class, was given, free of charge, to 6 of us from the original fundies class by Bob Sherwood, from Vestal, NY.

Real money grubbing people, ain't they?
I'm becomming more impressed with that group, thanks for the story.
As for people not making it through the first time, I have to return to my PADI Wreck Diver course because I couldn't handle my bouyancy control. after spending a couple days on that I ran out of time for the wreck diver course and have to return (DARN) to the Philippines in December to finish.
Truly a heartbreak to have to go back and learn some more.
Ooooh, and in such a nasty place to dive.

Tom

GDI:
Hey Mike how about this? This what My Open Water students learn
Now where have i seen that before??? :wink:

dweeb:
There are at least half a dozen conversations in this thread now.
Give people credit for being able to walk and chew gum at the same time
There are people who are skilled enough to do that?
Which agency offers the course?

Tom

idratherbediving:
bwerb:
, the lightcannon is a decent HID,[/ QUOTE]
i was using the princeton tech shockwave 2 and switched to the uk light cannon and it is alot better. and since i cannot afford a canister light i think the lightcannon is a decent hid. at least till i start doing caves and/or penetrating deep into wrecks.

Here's the problem with the LC...the beam is almost useless for signaling. I found that often my back-up light had a more discernable beam. It is a decent light for illumination, especially when night diving, but what I learned when I dove with divers using focusable beams was that the single most important feature of a light is a nice tight beam. It allows instant communication without direct eye contact. It was one of the most useful revelations for OW diving as demonstrated by the tech community.

When I first started to dive, I equated HID with "tech" or "top quality" without realizing exactly what the purpose of the light really was.

Heck...for the same price as a LC you could build or pick-up a decent MR16 Halogen cannister...and discover the great advantages to a tightly focused light beam.

dweeb:
I suggest that we differ on some definitions.

I find it wearying when people fail to grasp basic logic.
I find it abusive when people stray off the point onto the person.
I DON'T subscribe to the PC notion that the only way to not be abusive is to have everything dripping in validation and affirmation syrup.
And I can agree with these assertions and "FEEL YOUR PAIN" without always being a perfect example of my own beliefs.
To be perfectly clear, I maybe sorta agree with much if not most of what you say and also what you seem to say you believe.
Should I add a smiley, or did I make the humor obvious?

Tom

Nomaster:
There are people who are skilled enough to do that?
Which agency offers the course?

Tom
GUE

Multi-tasking: handling multiple failures is part and parcel of the GUE Tech 1 class.

Being able to airshare and make deco stops on the way to your gas switch while one buddy is without a mask, making the gas switch, controlling both diver's buoyancy and shooting a marker bag during the deco for example.

GUE

Multi-tasking: handling multiple failures is part and parcel of the GUE Tech 1 class.

Being able to airshare and make deco stops on the way to your gas switch while one buddy is without a mask, making the gas switch, controlling both diver's buoyancy and shooting a marker bag during the deco for example.

Doppler on this board teaches the same in his deco and tmix classes ...

I would hope that all of the technical certification agencies do so as well.

I agree and I have not seen multitask management in rec training except for GUE. Now I cannot speak outside my own experience.

Back
Top Bottom