DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dweeb:
The world still fears our military, each branch in direct proportion to how "mean" its training regimen is. The DoD takes people from all walks of life, and teaches them complex tasks and skills to be performed under conditions where mistakes are often fatal, and does it very well, complete with a lot of yelling and degrading.

You can't purify and strengthen metal without fire.

And yet, somehow i don't want the Marine Corps to be teaching Calculus. Teaching people how to shoot an x-ring at 600 yards is one thing but teaching upper level math and sciences is a whole different cat.

I'm laughing my a$$ off just thinking about my DI trying to teach something like that.:)

Derek S:
Main Entry: dude
Pronunciation: 'düd also 'dyüd
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
1 : a man extremely fastidious in dress and manner : DANDY
2 : a city dweller unfamiliar with life on the range; especially : an Easterner in the West

:wink:

Now you know why I don't like the word DUDE. I,m a carpenter that lives in the country. and the word is really just " slang" and it doesn't make the person using it look to intelligent .

lairdb:
the DIR section mods are now squelching even reasoned discussion of changes.
Example?

dweeb:
But that's what debate is all about - trying to prove your opponent is wrong.
It's perfectly reasonable to enter a debate with the intention of winning. What I'm talking about are people who are interested in winning and nothing else. The type of people who are unwilling to allow the possibility that they may change their mind during the course of the debate. I have never gotten into a debate about something where I didn't feel I was right and tried to sway the other person. That doesn't not mean, however, that I wasn't the one to be swayed.

That said, I think you're splitting hairs.

dweeb:
You REALLY need to work on that reading comprehension. I have taken one side; the problem is you don't even begin to comprehend it. You might try, instead of the constant ad hominem outbursts, asking some directed questions. That way, we could get to the root of your failure to understand the point.

That you close with another personal attack indicates that you still haven't figured out how to formulate a substantive response. However, I have all the patience in the world, and I look forward to a meaningful discussion, once you figure out how it's done.

As I laugh at your posts again ,I think back to the way I would treat you when I was young. rest easy knowing that really intelligent people can get the point across in a CLEAR and CONCISE manner. Like the saying " Darwin cries for you"
Very clear and concise.

This whole thread is about the 10% rule IMO.

You got 10% pro & 10% con, spending 100% of their time trying to convince the rest of us 80% (who incidently really don't care if anyone is DIR or not) that their side of the argument is 100% right.

Most of us could care less if the term DIR is divisive of not.

gedunk:
And yet, somehow i don't want the Marine Corps to be teaching Calculus.
"PRIVATE PILE, WHAT'S THE INDEFINITE INTEGRAL OF X WITH RESPECT TO X?!"

"Sir, x squared over two, sir"

"WRONG! X SQUARED OVER TWO PLUS AN ARBITRARY CONSTANT! YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO MY BELOVED CALCULUS!"

cornfed:

"WRONG! X SQUARED OVER TWO PLUS AN ARBITRARY CONSTANT! YOU'RE A DISGRACE TO MY BELOVED CALCULUS!"

LOL ... put a little southern twang on that and your there. :wink:

Hey

Anybody who feels they can not learn from DIR is wrong. I do not understand how some of you respond. Has this been going on for some time or what ?

I feel with most of the posts out there it is as if you all know it all. If that was the case then how come you feel so threatened is it because you want everybody to dive your way.

To be able to learn from everything that goes on is a good thing. I agree the Militant Dir divers are a pain so are the Militant PADI and NAUI divers. Theres a militant in every group. They are the one's who dive like crap there gear fails and they suck a bottle of air up as if there is an endless supply.

But to say you have nothing to learn is more of a pain then anything else. People cause more harm by not wanting to learn then those who will sit back and take in what they can. Also on the dive I could have chose not to look and see and I did learn THEY DID NOT force me into anything. Or even suggest anything. Go dive with UP and see for your self. If you walk away with out learning anything then you really need to evaluate how you approach life.

I was diving with a UP who used less air then I have ever seen before. I could learn from that or just say air is cheap and what do I care how much air I use. No thanks I would rather use as little air as he did. I would how ever have to LEARN how to conserve air HIS way to be able to do it right :D

Cheers
Derek

cornfed:

But the DI method is still so much more effective than the intel people.

XO: Captain Cack, the CO needs the latest information on OpFor intentions regarding the indefinite integral of x with respect to x. What have you got for us?

Cack: The consensus is that it's x squared over two, sir. However, we're getting some satellite imagery which suggests that maybe we should add in an arbitrary constant.

XO: Goddammit! Can't I ever get a straight answer out of you people?

Back
Top Bottom