DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novadiver:
Now that we know that all of us aren't DIR , The ones that said that they aren't DIR from the start look smart. The others ....... O-well.

Well, duh.

You don't find JJ running around like Chicken Little screaming "I'M DIR! I'M DIR!".

And trust me, as far as looking smart, the ones that say "I just don't like DIR because my feeeeeeeeliiiings were hurt" just ain't makin it.

It's just a philosophy.

Help yourself.

novadiver:
WOW! I hope this opened some minds?

Have to be openable, first.

Keysdrifter454:
Well, duh.

You don't find JJ running around like Chicken Little screaming "I'M DIR! I'M DIR!".

And trust me, as far as looking smart, the ones that say "I just don't like DIR because my feeeeeeeeliiiings were hurt" just ain't makin it.

It's just a philosophy.

Help yourself.

Have to be openable, first.
I guess you agree with me, But it is hard to tell. In the future opening a statement with " well DUH" can be changed to" I agree with you " That way we're on the same page.:D

I've followed a lot of DIR/ anti DIR posts and can't remember ever reading one where someone said they didn't like DIR because their feelings were hurt. That's funny, gotta a link.

This has NOTHING to do with my opinion of DIR, or any other agency..free my mind?
You've been watching the Matrix too many times.

What I find hilarious, is how SERIOUSLY some folks take diving. I've done my "mindless following", and have come out of the fog to realize that one should'nt take oneself, or one's diving "talents", or agency, affiliation too seriously.

Diving is a sport for some, and a business for others. By the way - don't forget to tell me to see "the trees from the forest" as I think that's the only cliche you haven't used...

raising the bar
the bandwagon fiasco
if the shoe fits, chew on it.

puttin' out fires? And before you have an aneurism, relax, it's just a well deserved jab, nothing personal.
:)

opiniongirl:
This has NOTHING to do with my opinion of DIR, or any other agency..free my mind?

What I find hilarious, is how SERIOUSLY some folks take diving. I've done my "mindless following", and have come out of the fog to realize that one should'nt take oneself, or one's diving "talents", or agency, affiliation too seriously.

Diving is a sport for some, and a business for others. By the way - don't forget to tell me to see "the trees from the forest" as I think that's the only cliche you haven't used...

raising the bar
the bandwagon fiasco

puttin' out fires? And before you have an aneurism, relax, it's just a well deserved jab, nothing personal.

"Feel the Force!", OpinionGirl, and "Avoid the Dark Side!"

Cheers! :eyebrow:

DennisS:
I've followed a lot of DIR/ anti DIR posts and can't remember ever reading one where someone said they didn't like DIR because their feelings were hurt. That's funny, gotta a link.

Sounds a little teary around here to me.

You could re-read the thread, it'd save time:

"The name does endanger the concept. Doing it Safer, Doing it together, Tech Divers Unite, whatever, anything would have been better. The name impliess that the rest of us have lousy skills. Dosen't really invite me to find out more."

"On the subject of the name though - I honestly don't think it helps much simply because it obviously rubs people up the wrong way."

"This tread was about the name DIR being offensive to some divers.( which it is)"

"Maybe it would be less offensive if it was changed from DIR (doing it right) to GIR ( getting it right)"

"It still gets the point across. and " getting it right" would be less offensive, while still trying to improve the dive skills of the less fortunate."

"The name is condescending and arrogant but my main issue with it are the attitude, writings and words of the people up top of the organisation"

"Translation - no matter how good you are, if you aren't DIR you are not in fact any good at all. Jonathan's guarateeing this and he's never even seen me in the water. I'd call that pure arrogance."

"Fair enough and ive now been outside for some fresh air and calmed down"

"It's the elitist divers who get their C-cards that I have a problem with."

That is actually the attitude that riles me.

"I remember when I first heard about DIR, just over a year ago. As a concise summary was patiently explained to me, I turned incredulous and resistant as I found the it stood for "Doing it right". I remember feeling an immediate alienation and even resistance, because the name suggested to me that you are either doing it THIS way, or you are doing it wrong. To me it felt like right from the start, the name sets up a conflict, since it suggests there is only DIR or DIW."

novadiver:
I guess you agree with me, But it is hard to tell. In the future opening a statement with " well DUH" can be changed to" I agree with you " That way we're on the same page.:D

Of course, that would be if I agreed with you, and we were on the same page.

Otherwise, we're back to "Well, duh!". :07:

Keysdrifter454:
Of course, that would be if I agreed with you, and we were on the same page.

Otherwise, we're back to "Well, duh!". :07:

LOL!

opiniongirl:

Some of us aren't from the Matrix generation.

Well then, why don't you redefine your point and position in this thread, and enlighten me?

Better yet, explain to us the marketing orientation of the DIR philosophy?

If you can, since you've already commented on it.

opiniongirl:

Is that why you base your decisions on the "lowest accident rate" of an organization you can't name?

Gotta a cite for these statistics that you base your safety philosophy on?

opiniongirl:

It's not my fault you fit common cliches so well.

opiniongirl:
raising the bar
the bandwagon fiasco

Was there a jab?

I'm not the one that can't respond to a single point with any substance.

Watch that aneurism, now, and try and find a fact or two for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom