DIR wars...Is it the name?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Web Monkey:
When you make up your own standards, it's not particularly surprising that someone who had never trained for them wouldn't meet them.

Please excuse me. I need to go rinse off my split fins and wax the zipper on my non-DIR drysuit.

Terry

I'm coming out of my hole for this one.

Terry,

If you knew anything about DIR, then you woudn't make the statement that you have done above.

One of the first things you are told in a DIR-Fundamentals class is: "Most of what you need to know in terms of skills is found on page 4 of the PADI Open Water book".

What's surprising is that those skills are never properly taught by most instructors at that level. So your comment "When you make up your own standards, it's not particularly surprising that someone who had never trained for them wouldn't meet them. is just absurd on the face of it, because all that GUE is teaching is what PADI, et all was SUPPOSED to have taught in THEIR OWN STANDARDS". If you can't meet these standards, don't blame it on the only agency that REQUIRES you to meet these standards. Go have a talk with the agency that took your money and left you somewhat short.

detroit diver:

Terry,

If you knew anything about DIR, then you woudn't make the statement that you have done above.

One of the first things you are told in a DIR-Fundamentals class is: "Most of what you need to know in terms of skills is found on page 4 of the PADI Open Water book".

What's surprising is that those skills are never properly taught by most instructors at that level. So your comment "When you make up your own standards, it's not particularly surprising that someone who had never trained for them wouldn't meet them. is just absurd on the face of it, because all that GUE is teaching is what PADI, et all was SUPPOSED to have taught in THEIR OWN STANDARDS". If you can't meet these standards, don't blame it on the only agency that REQUIRES you to meet these standards. Go have a talk with the agency that took your money and left you somewhat short.

I gotta agree with DD. Gue or DIR didn't not create the skills. The skills have been there for years. All GUE/DIR did was clearly state what considered an accecptable level of performance for the skills if you wished to get into technical diving. Specifically they focused alot on bouyancy control skills as it is related to to other basic skills such as mask clearing, regulator recovery and air sharing. For the more technically inclined they added things like shooting a bag.

Really enjoyable, relaxing diving is all about bouyancy control; which is something that should be taught in the OW class. Since its not taught in most courses GUE decided, quite wisely, that they would require you to have real bouyancy control skills before they taught you how to cave dive or do deco dives.

Really can't see why people have so much trouble with this concept :06:

jjsteffen:
Hey Supernova, how have you been? See you are still trolling on DIR. For your edification, it is "dementia" and I hope your prognosis for recovery is positive, Although, from your posts, it seems to be debilitating. I fear you have lead on BJD and Opiniongirl too much into the anti side to even have an objective opinion. Oh yeah, I must be intoxicated again per your opinion. :10:

I'm thinking your PPN2 is about 5,8 or you just got bored of talking about how the abs backplate isn't DIR.

No matter , I'm glad that your spellchecker is working.

Hey JJ sense you know alot about DIR , how many dives does it take to be DIR and is there an IQ test to qualify.

Rich M and Photo TJ,

I think you might have misunderstood. Rich you said yourself that you've incorporated some aspects of DIR in to your diving, TJ not sure if you have or not. The thing is you were able to see thru the name and look further into what was being taught. My problem is w/ the folks who hear about DIR and some of the great benefits it offers but still choose to not look into it just becasue the name made them feel bad.
Even worse are thoses who DO learn about itbut do things different, not because it might be better, but to spite the DIR folks, as changing over or adopting some of the concepts (as you and many others have done) would to them mean admission of once being wrong (as Im sure they fought it to begin w/).

WaterDawg:
If you indeed have some other beef w/ DIR (like it dosent work for PSD or whatever) then thats fine but if the name alone turns you off, Ihope your no older than 15.

TJ, Actually bud, I have turned more than a few people onto DIR, its easier when something like that is shown instead of typed, but the key thing having an open mind to begin w/ and wanting to improve.

I hope Ive made my self and my previous post a bit more clear.

I cannot believe people are fighting over a name. Who cares ? Aren't we mature and smart enough to step back ?

I agree there were reasons in the past to be upset by some posts by GI3. However, I think we are well past that era.

More and more people embrace the DIR philosophy or at least adopt some of it and this has contributed to promote safe diving in general and not only a commercial lucrative business with a C-card collection game :).

For me DIR is just a label, I never thought it mean I was diving wrong before. It has improved my skills, streamlined my gear and made my diving more enjoyable. Plus the people I have met are not only very knowledgeable but also very nice.

I find the discussion quite sterile and ressembles the typical agency bashing thing.

Shut up and go dive.

Keysdrifter454:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoTJ
No one likes to be told they are doing something wrong.

Especially when they are.
I don't know about that. I've learned a lot over the last year or so. Not only in my formal dive training, but through experience and diving with different buddies in many different places and environments. I'm the first to admit that I am not a perfect diver and I've learned a lot from this so called "DIR" or whatever anyone wants to call it. But if I am doing something wrong, I for one would like to know. For me diving is all about learning to become a better diver, and I've always found something new to learn, be it DIR or otherwise.

From now on some of us are going to call it "Bob's Diving System". Who's Bob? I have no clue. All the tenents, rules, and instructions are the same. This name is for people who can't get past the words "doing it right". Really drives you crazy. Those words. So now you can feel good that some group isn't telling you that you're doing it wrong.

For the rest who can see past 3 words to the meat of the system, it will still be called "Doing it Right".

Any problem here?

detroit diver:

I freely admin that all I know about DIR I learned from the messages here telling everybody that "X" isn't DIR, or "Y" isn't DIR. No split-fins, no computer, no jacket-style BCs, the list goes on and on.

My favorites are the posts where the writer tells how their DIR instructor turned off his air, stuck a hungry octopus on his face, shot him with a spear gun, and then told him he was a pathetic loser because he didn't know what his tank pressure was without looking at the SPG.

I can't begin to tell you how much fun I've had watching the whole "DIR" thing unfold over the past few years.

It would have made a great Monty Python movie.

Terry

DD, Im with you! BDS sounds good. If that drops a barrier that has been keeping folks from learning about it, Im all for it.

Like I've said before the whole name thing is stupid to me, and I belive that the internet is NOT the best place for ideas to be exchanged, so if all you know about DIR comes from here, Im sorry. I do belive if you took the time to seek out knowlege in person you wouldnt be disappointed.

I cant belive we are arguing, we all want diving to be more enjoyable and safer right? What's in a name?

I think you're having fun with words here, but I felt that it was important to set something very straight- A DIR instructor will NEVER shut off his/her student's air. Period.

Web Monkey:
I freely admin that all I know about DIR I learned from the messages here telling everybody that "X" isn't DIR, or "Y" isn't DIR. No split-fins, no computer, no jacket-style BCs, the list goes on and on.

My favorites are the posts where the writer tells how their DIR instructor turned off his air, stuck a hungry octopus on his face, shot him with a spear gun, and then told him he was a pathetic loser because he didn't know what his rank pressure was without looking at the SPG.

I can't begin to tell you how much fun I've had watching the whole "DIR" thing unfold over the past few years.

It would have made a great Monty Python movie.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom